Late 14th Century German Knights
Hi I am working on finding reference material for a certain style of late 14th century armor. I believe it is mainly German and the areas around germany. The main distinction seems to be the order of layering and length of clothing etc. Attached are a few images to show what I am talking about.

If any one has any more reference I would be happy to see it. Hopefully its not something I have seen before. Also any thought or other information would be helpful.

Attachment: 120.71 KB
08_kyllburg07.jpg

Attachment: 109.57 KB
1625378102_c9b0fcdaf7.jpg

Attachment: 96.74 KB
Ludwig von Rieneck 1410 - cropped small.jpg

Hi Patrick,

you are right - this type / style of armour was mainly common in Middle Europe. The only thing is: it was in the latest 14th century that it evolved (from 1390 onwards) and its main phase of being en vogue lasted up to 1435.

Here are some more pictures.

May I ask where your second picture is from? It seems to be a splendid sculpture.

Cheers, Timm

Attachment: 68.46 KB
Bickenbach_1429.jpg

Attachment: 127.15 KB
Georg_von Fraunberg_zu_Hohenburg.jpg

Attachment: 147.86 KB
Boxberg_1390.jpg

Attachment: 134.78 KB
Grünsfeld_St._Peter_und_Paul.JPG

Attachment: 123.92 KB
Rötteln_1428.png

Attachment: 138.22 KB
Thomas_Rieneck_1431.jpg

Attachment: 83.85 KB
Wiblingen_Kirchberg.jpg

Attachment: 181.23 KB
philipp_Ingelheim.jpg

Yes I see the same dates and I agree. But seems like it started slowly coming in some time in 1380s if dates are right. Have you seen any paintings from Germany from the period suggesting color and detail?

Also do you have any information on the design and material of the surcoat (assuming that is the correct term for the garment in the images.) It seems to be a thicker material by looking at the shapes of the folds.

This one is supposed to be 1380s for example. http://effigiesandbrasses.com/1040/4585/

Second image should be this one http://www.bredanassaustad.nl/in-beeld/jan-iii-van-polanen
Below is attaches what I have concerning colours.

Here is a link on the material:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dimicator/266934476773420

...scroll down to July 2013 there is information and some fotos of orginals and reconstructions.

Also you should find something in the myArmoury-forum. Just search for Lübeck-garments

Cheers, Timm

Attachment: 181.01 KB
barby_04.jpg

Attachment: 143.31 KB
knight.jpg

Attachment: 69.4 KB
Rudolf_III_1428_2.jpg

Attachment: 231.94 KB
Wandbehang_6809_05.jpg

Thanks every little bit helps. Also nice info on the facebook page :)
Just my two cents:

It appears that they're worn primarily as display garments. That is to say, they're worn to show off in either tournaments, or in effigy.

Also, it may just be the sculpture, but a lot of those look like Kastenbrust style breastplates.
I have so many images of them now in art and sculpture (many many more than posted here) doing everything you can think of they seem to be worn as basic protection.

Some do look like the Kasten-brust breastplates.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: