Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sinclair-Hilted Falchion by Vladimir CervenkaProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A beautiful sword, indeed.

I love Cervenka's work - my most prized rapier I own is one of his - precisely because it is not perfectly finished down to the tiniest detail, but rather it shows that it was crafted by a very skilled hand and as such, looks exactly as all the many original rapiers I have handled and seen. But not just looks, it also handles like an original.

How many times have you picked up an original sword and realised how different if looks, feels and handles from the replicas you have in your collection? I have never felt that 'difference' in a Cervenka. in my opinion they are just made 'right'.

Julian
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: sinclair         Reply with quote

Congrats Kirk, great addition to your collection. Like Julian, I am also a Cervenka fan, though my pieces are earlier period swords, except for my schiavonne.Glad to see that he will take on work outside of the selection on his website.
Bon coeur et bon bras
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk, thanks for the great review! I also have one of Vladimir's Sinclair Sabers, nearly identical to yours but with a "floral" sculpted pommel. Have to agree it's one of the best repros I've ever handled. Here's a couple of pics.
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want to thank everyone for your kind words. This sword certainly shows the level of work that Vlad Cervenka can accomplish (actually I think that there is very little that he could not do... when he put his mind to it).

Actually Vlad may have even out done this sword in a swept-hilt rapier/sword he made for me with a flamberge blade.

I will try and post a quick review of this beauty as soon as I can.

thanks again for taking time to comment.

take care,

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Fantastic work, and a beautiful sword! However, the pics of it unassembled trouble me. The tang-to-blade transition area looks very squared off. In other words...weak. I'd be hesitant to cut any very hard targets with it if it were mine. I'd hate to be left holding that beautiful hilt in my hand without a blade. I could be wrong....maybe , I hope, the tang is sturdier than the photos show. Once again though....beautiful sword!............McM

Hi Mark...

I agree that the picture makes it look as if the tang is thin without rounded corners. However it does appear to have some rounding right at the joint. Also the line between the base of the blade and the tang is a slight indention for the seating of the guard. The tang is narrow, but it is thick... and Cervenka tempers the blades to be very tough.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

take care,

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Gregg wrote:
Kirk, thanks for the great review! I also have one of Vladimir's Sinclair Sabers, nearly identical to yours but with a "floral" sculpted pommel. Have to agree it's one of the best repros I've ever handled. Here's a couple of pics.

Hey Christopher...

I had heard that there was a brother to my sword. It's good to get a look. Very nice. I really like the darker hilt.

thanks for the pics...

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Kirk,

First...welcome back. It's been entirely too long since you've been around here. You have been missed.

Second....thank you so very much for finally getting around to posting this review. I have literally been waiting years for this. The few tantalizing hints you'd dropped over the years about this sword had me drooling. The original in the Frazier is one of my all time favorites and this looks to be everything I'd hoped it would be and more. You are very fortunate. Hopefully some day I can commission another replica. Until then though I'll just peruse this thread. Congrats.

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk, that is a very nice saber! I especially like the flexing photo, I think it shows how thickness and distal taper are done the way they should be!
P.S. Have you ever finished that cable damascus celtic blade???
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Kirk, that is a very nice saber! I especially like the flexing photo, I think it shows how thickness and distal taper are done the way they should be!
P.S. Have you ever finished that cable damascus celtic blade???

Hey Matt and Luka...

Thanks so much for commenting. Vlad did a fantastic job.

Luka... On the cable damascus celtic blade... Like most everything else in my life (other than faith, family and work) it has gotten put to the side over the last few years. However, even if I would have had time, I probably would not have worked on in because I am trying to decide on a design for the hilt.

It is my opinion that the early LaTene blades may be the most beautiful blade design ever (and the possibility of hammered decoration in the fullers, called shagreening, could make it even more beautiful). So I want to design a hilt form and decoration which would be as beautiful as the blade. And that is a difficult task.

The cable damascus blade has a decent outline as it is, but it is much too heavy, so it needs to lose a lot of weight. I also want to give it a slight waist and rework the double-fullers/hollow-grind that make the early LaTene blades so beautiful.

And all this needs to be done before I get around to the hilt. I do have some ideas that involve stylized zoomorphic elements with polished red coral, and celtic negative space design with hatchwork, and bronze grillwork with red enamel grip, and a sun and moon inlay in the blade. So... lots of plans...

take care,

ks

Attachment: 85.43 KB
RepLaTeneCabDamAll.jpg
Cable damascus early LaTene blade blank

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jan, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The project you plan really isn't easy but it will be glorious when finished. Good luck. Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sinclair-Hilted Falchion by Vladimir CervenkaProduct Review
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: