Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 2013....what were your acquisitions for the year? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan A. Currier wrote:
In the mean time here is the one from David DelaGardelle:

http://cedarloreforge.com/2012/03/04/osberts-sword/

The sword is the epitome of the craft, imho. For its size, shape, and function... It's flawless, truly. It moves and changes direction in a snap, it cuts as if it's blade heavy (which it is not), it has a large and forgiving "sweet spot", and the small details in the weapon (which are somewhat lost to the pictures) really really make you love it.

I realize the look of the thing may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I do not doubt at all... ::grin:: If you held it? If you cut with it? You'd want one just like it.

God, I love this sword.

It is a beautiful weapon. I think the linen scabbard idea is great too, although I would have put a simple chape to protect the bottom of the scabbard.

Several years ago, I sold my Albion Crecy. I started regretting that decision, so this year I bought a new one, with blackened fittings and oxblood grip.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg E wrote:
Axes
Bearded Axe - MRL
Bearded Axe - Bruce Brookhart Collection
Nordlund Axe - A&A
Skeggox- Reenactors.de
Viking Axe - Cold Steel
Norse Hawk - Cold Steel
Type D Viking Axe - H and B Forge
Northern European Viking, Slavic Axe - Corwin Arms

Spears
Viking Spear - MRL
Leaf Bladed Viking Spear - MRL
Winged Type C spear - Petr Szabo
Winged Viking Spear - IBOR

Swords
Cawood Sword - Hanwei
Scramasax folded steel - Kris Cutlery
Ulfberht Sword - MRL
Loiten Viking Sword - MRL
Clontarf Squire Line Sword - Albion
Gotland Squire Line Sword - Albion
Vinland Squire Line Sword - Albion
LongSeax single edged sword - Michael Pikula

And this baby...

Greg, I sense a certain pattern in your purchases....can't quite put my finger on it though....what is it, what is it.... Happy
Larry New

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julian Reynolds wrote:
Apart from the odd sabre and smallsword repro, my main acquisition during 2013 wasn't a sword at all. I fancied something a bit noisier.....

Julian

Wow..now that is an impressive piece my friend!
Greg E

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jan, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan Heff wrote:

Greg, I sense a certain pattern in your purchases....can't quite put my finger on it though....what is it, what is it.... Happy

I like to think of it as a finely tuned focus on Viking Era items. Big Grin
Though I might make a huge change and include Medieval Scandinavian pieces. Wink
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jan, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan A. Currier wrote:
A&A custom Xa.9

This is the one I would really like to see, assuming its Xa.9 in Records, especially if you guys stuck with the original proportions. I like that sword and have often wondered how it would look and handle with that long blade and tiny R pommel.

Thanks, JD
Ryan A. Currier

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It handles amazingly well, J.D. Crawford....

I can't get pictures up from this computer, from my ipod, or from my phone on the site, right now. I've tried for days for you specifically (I am in LOVE with your collection)... But I can't pull it off, right now. If you'd like to PM me with your email address I'll send you all the pictures you request.

A&A
Xa.9
I'll sum this up quick:
It's light and changes directions quite well for its size and type (short edge cuts are effective enough to mess up some bamboo in the hands of a baboon [I can't cut worth shite with a flexible blade!]).
It asks you, tenderly, delicately, "If you would but lean me forward and drop me I will put my point into the ground for you."
It is not overly blade heavy, but it is definitely made for cutting.
Thrusting? I haven't seen it on a carcass yet. I only judge cutting swords thrusting abilities against carcasses (tell you next hunting season or killing feral blood diseased hogs?)

It moves quick, the pommel doesn't get in the way of any wrist movement (and it actually will stop your hand from sliding off), it cuts deep and effectively against a 6'' bundle of bamboo but WILL NOT cut a damn bite into a pool noodle at my skill level. It's a war sword, for sure...

A mass of person? A person in armour? I imagine this sword would MESS them up quite well and easily. It's fast though ridiculous in its proportions. I look forward to farmers with dead cows, dead feral hogs, coyotes and deer....

Okay, that may bother you people but I really REALLY try to learn everything about every piece I own.

J.D. : If you PM me your email address I'll get you pictures.

Also? If you want to sell that crescent pommel sword PM ME IMMEDIATELY.
Collin D

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

- A Hanwei Tinker Norman sword (slowly working my way up towards higher-end swords as well as a university student working part-time can)
- A small spear and axe head, my first attempts at making weapons (neither are mounted yet), if making counts as acquiring
- GDFB spangenhelm. Mostly I wanted it a) for a Halloween costume, and b) so that I had a physical reference for making my own, which is currently about half done.

Made a lot of clothing, too: two kyrtles, two trousers, a gambeson, a new pair of winingas, two hoods, and I'm sure more that I'm forgetting.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a bunch of HMB/BotN legal gear made for me this year.

Three swords, an axe, helmet, gambeson, bazubands, mitten gauntlets and a khanjar in the style of a Mamluk Trade Emissary and Tabardarriyya Bodyguard... So far. I have photos here on my phone of everything but the dagger. I'll come back with one when I have a chance.

So here you go. It ended up being two message worth, so here's the first:

Attachment: 78.51 KB
007.jpg
Mamluk style Gambeson. Filled with 10mm woolen felt, and multiple hidden gussets. Made by Muhammad Ali Hein, Jakarta, Indonesia.

Attachment: 28.13 KB
IMG_20130808_160428-1.jpg
Two Kilic sabers. Top one - 126.5cm long, based on Mehmed II's ceremonial sword in Topkapi Saray. Bottom one - generic late-15th (or so) Kilic. Both made as a set by Viktor Berbekucz, Hungary.

Attachment: 69.91 KB
2.5mm hardened spring steel Bazubands, made by Edward Shayhutdinov, Kazan, Tatarstan. [ Download ]

Attachment: 100.17 KB
2mm spring steel mitten gauntlets in 16th C. Turkish Sipahi fashion. Made by Edward Shayhutdinov. [ Download ]

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And the second lot. I should probably point out that I had the armour pieces I'm showing you purposely overbuilt, as I use them to practice. Unlike so many other HMB fighters (which surprises me, actually) I prefer heavily weighted practice equipment to build up good armour fitness.

The yataghan is made from the same super-hardened-yet-not-brittle steel as the axe, and they break everything I hit with them. I've asked the secret technique for making these things so tough, but those Turks won't share it... Laughing Out Loud

I have a whole lot of other stuff coming in early 2014 too.

A steel shield, civilian garb and a full competition kit, for starters.

Attachment: 28.86 KB
IMG_43207783845551.jpeg
3mm mild steel 16th C. Mamluk/Ottoman Chichak Helmet. Faceplate has no historical example, but is purely for protection. Made by Edward Shayhutdinov.

Attachment: 132.56 KB
received_m_mid_1382604001194_eb675ec8a9175bcc36_0.jpeg
Mamluk axe head, based on an example in the Met. Axe made super-tough by Osmanli forge, Yataghan, Turkey, and etching by Jared Holland, Auckland, New Zealand. This breaks everything it hits. Currently mounted on a 1m ash pole.

Attachment: 84.34 KB
Early 16th C. Yataghan sword, Ottoman Syrian style. Made with help from Alper Serdar at Osmanli Forge, Yataghan, Turkey. [ Download ]

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 2013....what were your acquisitions for the year?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: