Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cold Steel Viking Axe - unboxing and initial thoughtsProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 19 Dec, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Viking and Medieval fighting axes were not crude tools. The Petersen type L and M types, (which this piece seems to be trying to get at) have dynamic and complex proportions.

Historic axe designs don't lend themselves to mass production at low cost without coming out looking grossly inaccurate and exhibiting atypical handling for the type.

If one simply wants to cut bottles these pieces work quite well- but not as representatives of the historical specimens.

I agree. These axes are just too complex for makers like Cold Steel to pul off and it is a shame not to enjoy their complexity in all of its glory. Big Grin I have a custom made type M dane axe with 3 piece welded construction (softer eye+softer body+harder edge), proper geometry and dimensions and it's a glorious weapon. 4 foot long, only 3lb, fast and furious. Big Grin
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Thu 19 Dec, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree that an authentically constructed dane axe is difficult (if not impossible) to mass-produce. That being said, I'm glad that approximations are mass produced, as I would've bought a custom if I could afford it! Big Grin
Larry New

PostPosted: Thu 19 Dec, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What are you guys thoughts on the A&A danish axe compared to the Cold steel version?
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 19 Dec, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you want a super-nasty cutter, go for the CS. If you want a little more accurate example, the A&A will get you pretty close. I'm tellin' y'all....this axe is a real monster. I've owned a few CS knives in my time, and they were all good. But, the axes they make now are great. I love to thump the edge of my CS Norse hawk and hear it go....'Schiiiiiiinggg". Great products. Maybe not everybodys cup o' tea, but I damn well like mine. If I were a soldier,I would not hesitate to take one to battle. Just that tough, just that well built. Git y'all some. You'll be glad you did. (And ....NO....I do not work for Cold Steel, I just like SOME of their stuff. Laughing Out Loud )....Happy choppin', y'all....Merry Christmas to all...Love all you freaks....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Larry New wrote:
What are you guys thoughts on the A&A danish axe compared to the Cold steel version?

Actually, the A&A Danish Axe is not a great representative of the type either. It does not exhibit the complex proportions and blade geometry of the historic specimens of type L and M axes.

I love many of A&A products but their Danish axe is not one of their standouts.
Harry Lindfors

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got this beast as a birthday present a few weeks back (my wife rocks!), and while it is great for its price, as noted in previous posts, it's not perfect.
So I went and shoved it into a heavy-duty grinder, and took off about half of the thickness of the eye, which really was massively thick. It lightened the axe a little bit, and also looks much better now. I also gave the thing a light grinding along the inside? of the edge, to give it a slightly bearded look. Don't know how historically accurate it is now, I just like the look.
That abomination called a screw I tossed right away, I just took an appropriately sized bolt and ground it round, then went ahead and peened the other end. It looks nice and more period this way, I think.

I don't re-enact viking age, I'm a crusades-kinda-guy, but I think this axe would serve nicely as a weapon for someone during the first three crusades?

[img][/img]
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 25 Dec, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep, nothing wrong with dane axes for the whole 12th century...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cold Steel Viking Axe - unboxing and initial thoughtsProduct Review
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: