Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List for 2014? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mostly a whole lot of nothing. Sold my armor and soft kit off. Maybe a dagger of some sort. Maybe a Dane Axe if I find one I like. Possibly a shield and a helm. Maybe a thing or two out of the MRL deal of the day. Perhaps some decent boots as costume pieces. Nothing major. Wife is not working so toy fund is tight! Sad
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, Joe.........For a Dane-style axe , I suggest the Cold Steel model. I've handled one, and they are sweeeet. I laid into three tatami mats for a total of about ten cuts, then dispatched a large pumpkin and he thing was still sharp as hell. Get one,dude. I'm ordering one from KOA soon.... Big Grin .......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
On the first point, like many people I admire the famous double-fullered sword in the British Museum that was found in the River Witham. I used to own the Ollin version, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I thought about a high-end custom version but the price for all that inlay was greater than my desire to own it. So for now I've settled on an Albion Vigil with the diamond wrap. It's on order.

On the second point, I decided to make some changes to one of my custom swords. Its an excellent sword that would likely suit many people's tastes as it is, but I thought of some ways to make it better suit my taste and improve its historical accuracy relative to the originals. The cost is not prohibitive, so its just been shipped back to the shop that made it. That will be revealed when its done.

I've also got an idea for a custom project based on some early 14th century artwork, but it remains to be seen if this happens in 2014.

Its kind of interesting to look back at this halfway point and compare what was planned with what was done.

#1 done: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...start=1140

#2 done: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...p;start=20

#3 underway: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=30378
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What's On Your List for 2014?         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

As for me, I'm at a crossroads where I must decide if I'll continue having custom swords made, or switch over to production models.

If I go custom, it will be the only thing I get next year. I would have Arms and Armor make a version of the mysterious German baskethilt shown below.

If I go production, I may have Danelli Armouries make their version of the same sword.
There are a couple of A&A swords I'd like to get - the Grunwald and the Munich Town Guard Sword.
Someday I must get a John Lundemo sword - maybe the Morrigan.

I'm off of the custom track. I'm not sure if I'll ever get back on it.

I did get an A&A Grunwald, but haven't pursued anything else on that list.
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Hoard wrote:
I'd like to get an A&A Viking Spear and maybe an Albion Reeve. If the right one was available, I'd grab a sword from Old Dominion Forge.

I'm zero-for-three on my list so far.

I did acquire a Neil Burridge Ewart Park sword and I attended Owen Bush's Axe Making Class where I made two axes of my own, so I've added a few sharp steel (and bronze) items to my collection.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I've just sent my EB Erickson 16th century complex hilt to Arms & Armor to have them make and mount a Type XIX (-ish) blade for it. I might also get a scabbard created.

I'm still waiting for my sword. I don't know the status, either.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I've crossed two things off my wish list this year (see below). Swordwise, I need a lightweight Pappenheimer style rapier so I can get back into historical fencing after 4 months off due to tendon injury.

I'm still pondering a Danelli Schiavona....beautiful, but only just affordable......

Joolz

Attachment: 103.24 KB
Swivel Gun 1.JPG

Attachment: 243.7 KB
[ Download ]
William P

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well for me i'm thinking of beginning one of my very first sword builds

my plan is to build a byzantine type sword basing my work off of the research done by bill blake http://alaeswords.tumblr.com/

since this is my first i'll be obtaining the guard and blade from medieval fight club in australia

he pommel will be from an old brass door knob, the reason it caught my eye because byzantine swords are notable for having spherical pommels, and on occasion, being riveted to the tang instead of being peened like most pommels,
i;'ll probably use this guard http://www.medieval-fightclub.com/products/Br...guard.html and this blade http://www.medieval-fightclub.com/products/Sw...Blank.html

in other weapon news , continuing the byzantine theme i have 2 poplar sapligs drying in the family garage that will eventually become a byzantine beavy spear aka menavlion. in addition i will aquire a suitably long and broad bladed spearhead for such a thick shaft (5-6cm thick)

in addition i will work to conver my bear titan bow and dress it up to have the bow stave look a LOT more authentic..http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/bows/youth/titan

and, possibly, if i can feel i can afford it, commision or buy a khazar/ quipchaq horsemans axe.
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I ended up with a Wulflund Sax rather than the Lutel. Pictures are in a product review thread on this site. Now I seem to be drawn toward daggers, so the rest of 2014 likely continues to wander from what I was thinking at the end of last year. I still want those swords however.......
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll be ordering an Albion Landgraf and / or their Ritter.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
I have an Elvin falchion comeing from Yeshuas Sword,around October.

Attachment: 117.92 KB
[ Download ]
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Hoard wrote:
I'd like to get an A&A Viking Spear and maybe an Albion Reeve. If the right one was available, I'd grab a sword from Old Dominion Forge.

Crossed one from my list (sorta) - A&A Norseman Spear came via UPS yesterday.

When you've got a 7' long spear, you've got to be careful moving it around the house...
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For 2014-15 I'll be looking for English cavalry swords of the 1700s, especially those with fairly simple but large hilts. And I always keep my eyes open for English swords of the 1600s! We'll see what turns up.

--ElJay
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only project I could have accurately predicted at the start of the year was my Albion Soldat with Tod's Stuff scabbard and suspension. Aside from that, a bauernwehr from Tod, my first Viking sword in the form of a Vinland in the mail, a really neat custom quillon dagger on commission with Tod, and I'm looking into my first flat top kite shield.

Actually, some of my funds are going into medieval coinage now, too.
Theo Squires

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I'll be getting an A&A Saxon military sword in the next day or two and then a Vladimir Cervenka cavalry sword + dagger in December or possibly January. I'll probably also get some HEMA gear and a synthetic sidesword or two from blackfencer.
Henrik Granlid

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm intending to start and complete my handsown Charles des Blois pourpoint for use with armour and I'll either get a new pair of 14th century arms or a set of cased greaves. Hopefully I'll also get to build myself a kussnacht coat of plate, but we'll see about that.
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Swiger wrote:
I have orders in with the following for 2014:

John Lundemo - Fantasy Long Viking Blade w/ Morrigan Fittings
Vladimir Cervenka - Viking Sword
Christian Fletcher - Shieldmaiden Viking Sword
Raven Armoury Type X Blade Remounted in Viking Fittings by Yeshua's Sword
Cedarlore Forge - Viking Sword
Rob Miller - Ranger Sword

I have bought a few swords not on the list this year. Big Grin

I have received the Lundemo, Cervenka and Fletcher swords. Cedarlore Forge Viking is being finished up soon. Other two have not been started yet.

Non Timebo Mala
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Pics, or it didn't happen, right? I'm especially looking at you Craig Peters and William Swiger: I love "viking things" and everything I have seen by Tod. I would love to begin a Soldat work with him perhaps in 2015.

I started this year with an order with Walter Sorrells. Should be finished up in a couple of months, and I'll make a thread. Also, a large order of "Viking things" through A&A, which should be complete in a couple of weeks. Very excited. Like Aaron, the new Norseman spear pushed me over the edge, although the Anglo-Saxon sword had been on my radar since it came out. Also something else from them...

My Ewart Park sword by Neil Burridge has been documented elsewhere, but it is such a wonderful thing that I had wanted for many years I have to mention it again.

Yes there were a half-dozen knives and daggers also, but those were not planned. They bring me such joy though. 2014 has been a very good year. I regret nothing.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List for 2014?
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: