Decorated Roman Armor
Hi there!

Ive been trying to do some research of the armor/weapons of the Roman era with some personalized taste. I dislike the normal Lorica Segmentata that is standard amongst shops via the internet. But for decorative purposes I was looking for a more decorated look of a higher up, perhaps general or noble.

[ Linked Image ]

Similar to this picture.

Again, any recommendations for finding a similar piece of armor, or perhaps a reliable supplier would be appreciated.[/img]
Run like hell away from movies like Gladiator. Purge them from your memory. Start with Robinson's Armour of Imperial Rome and Bishop and Coulston's Roman Military Equipment.
While I understand the concept of avoiding movie- knockoffs I am going for more of an artistic feel for the armor. The standard Lorica isn't what I am looking for. But more of personalized artistic and designed display of an armor that showed standing. Even though it was usually changed through the helmet. Its mostly what I've been searching for.

Edit: The image on the right of this website shows a more decorative curaiss- http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/weaponswar...Lorica.htm

Which again is what I'm searching for but cannot find a reliable source for orders/Creation.
Quote:
http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/weaponswar...Lorica.htm

well that's an antiquarians view of sculptural stuff. So get in line for your pinches of salt.

Forgive the terminology but it sounds like what you are looking for is 'fantasy' armour but with a Roman theme so most historical manufacturers will not be set up for this, it would be a bespoke job, exactly as per a film production. The various depts involved in making Gladiator were shown accurate replica Roman armour, were told its shortcomings and issues they might have with making and maintaining them as well as getting extras unused to classical armour to wear it and came up with what you see which is mainly molded polyresin items made here in the UK by a couple of companies. The muscle cuirass Mr Crowe is wearing there is thin leather over a polyfoam core with lightweight resin cast decorations made by a friend who was working in the costume dept.

It totally depends on what you want this for as function will affect the materials used. If you want it to be protective and for combat then you will be entering the problematic 'was the roman muscle cuirass made from leather/metal/ a combination of both?' debate and i wish you the best of luck as the jury is most certainly out on that one.

If you just want something to pose around in then you'd be looking for a costumier/maker of leather stuff experienced in those techniques, unlikely you'll get anything decent and fitting well off the shelf. The LARP community make stuff but its rarely moulded in the way shown.

Roman armour was generally of a standardized form but there is plenty of evidence of personalization and alterations. The various forms of Pharelae sets and additional medallions etc seem to be a way of awards and decorations and possibly showing personal taste, there are plenty of these items from across the empire to choose from.
Maybe Nix Imperial? Horrible website, and he's not great at saying exactly what a piece is made from, but you might like his selection:

http://www.niximperial.com/

Or here, which includes high-end items by Toni Feldon:

http://www.swordandstone.com/arms-and-armour

I can't vouch for the historical accuracy of anything from either of those sites! Excellent craftsmanship does not necessarily mean an eye for detailed authenticity. Nix's products include electrotype and epoxy resin casts. BUT they might have what you're looking for.

There are numerous vendors selling cheap Roman and Romanesque armor made in India and other places, including Kult of Athena and By-the-Sword. Again, no telling how accurate it is, or if it will fit you, but both of those have decent reputations if you need to return something.

And then there are custom armorers who focus on historical reproductions of excellent quality and accuracy, starting with Matt Lukes and Joe Piela. If you're ready to mortgage the house and wait a few years, Robert MacPherson or Ugo Serrano. These are not the only choices by any means!

Good luck!

Matthew
In the UK most people wanting off the shelf stuff will use

https://www.armamentaria.com/store/

as the owner, Adrian, does a very good quality control job and knows his stuff. Some is manufactured here, other stuff is imported.
Re: Decorated Roman Armor
Pete R. wrote:
Hi there!

Ive been trying to do some research of the armor/weapons of the Roman era with some personalized taste. I dislike the normal Lorica Segmentata that is standard amongst shops via the internet. But for decorative purposes I was looking for a more decorated look of a higher up, perhaps general or noble.

[ Linked Image ]

Similar to this picture.

Again, any recommendations for finding a similar piece of armor, or perhaps a reliable supplier would be appreciated.[/img]
]
If you want authenic Officer our aristocrat armour then I guess looking that the statue of Emporer Augustus and copying the armor depicted there or, if you are ambitious , patient, and crafty, trying making Lorica plumata, is is essential Lorica hammata, but along with the all the labor needed to make a chainmail shirt, the armour has about ass many brass or bronze
scales while attached to each link when the rings are rivetted together, thus giving the apperance that the wearer was wearing a shirt of bronze or brass feathers.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: