Go to page Previous  1, 2

Also, what kind of grip and tang are you going to make? An exposed full tang sandwhiched between riveted slabs like on virtually all dagger size historical ones I know of, or a more conventional sword-like grip with an enclosed tang like you see on some of the larger ones? I think either could be within reason, considering the overall proportions of the weapon...
Mikko, Since the profile is CNC cut to shape I can alter it to either form without issue. That part is fairly easy and I'm sure we will do both.

I cut 5 more blanks this way already , I'll make the additional ones for slabs.
Anyone have a pic or example with the handle off or broken?
Well, I found this pair at Bonhams (and also at Christie's). And there's one in this thread.
Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Well, I found this pair at Bonhams (and also at Christie's). And there's one in this thread.

The pair from Bonham's is listed as being "in the style of" which is usually the term reserved for reproductions.
Chad Arnow wrote:
The pair from Bonham's is listed as being "in the style of" which is usually the term reserved for reproductions.

Christie's describes them as "AN ITALIAN DETACHED BLADE FOR A LARGE CINQUEDEA; AND ANOTHER, IN EARLY 16TH CENTURY STYLE; THE FIRST CIRCA 1510-20, THE SECOND 19TH CENTURY". I'm fairly sure it's the same pair.
None of the tangs I am seeing really explain the slab handle form. Maybe that form just doesn't end up broken in a way we can see one. I am seeing exposed metal, that I assume is the tang. Perhaps there is a metal fitting the shape of the handle that the tang fits up into.
I suspect what we are seeing here is a 'framed' handle type assembly like seen on later Sheffield bowies. Very interesting.
Just a guess, mind, but I think there might be several kinds of constructions used: a framed or enclosed tang for the ones with solid guards, and a full slab tang on the ones with riveted sandwhich guards.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: