Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sword project with regional museum
Hello all,
some weeks ago I was started project with Tekov museum Levice(Tekovské múzeum Levice)http://www.muzeumlevice.sk/
about reconstruction of three medieval swords from their collections.I have time to next year end,so I want to share with this interesting project.
Now I have in progress first sword-Petersen type X sword from grave find from Malé Kozmálovce dated about 900AD(inv.no.323/93).
Overall length - 92cm
Blade length-78cm
Max.blade width-4,5cm,but blade is badly corroded and hole in crossguard indicatet,that blade was wider,about 5,5cm
Crossguard-91X12X20mm
Pommel-58X32X24mm
On blade is small cross,which was probably formerly inlayed in bronze or brass,and some weld defects.Blade probably has a iron or steel core and welded-on steel edges.

Attachment: 52.88 KB
overall wiew [ Download ]

Attachment: 95.39 KB
grip [ Download ]

Attachment: 53.42 KB
side wiew [ Download ]

Attachment: 73.82 KB
crossguard [ Download ]

Attachment: 171.73 KB
cross on blade [ Download ]

Attachment: 128.41 KB
defects [ Download ]
I was used wrough iron for blade core and Boehler K945 carbon steel for edges.Edges are formed from small pieces(scrap from smithy)welded together and folded six-seven times.

Attachment: 100.75 KB
measurement of the original in the museum [ Download ]

Attachment: 170.97 KB
core and edges... [ Download ]

Attachment: 167.56 KB
...welding.. [ Download ]

Attachment: 174.15 KB
...welded together [ Download ]

Attachment: 224.38 KB
rough blade [ Download ]
Hi Robert.
I remember you said that you were going to make three swords for an local museum when we Susan and I were in Slovakia.
We are still to this day so glad that we visited the castles and museums the amount of armour swords knives and historical displays were fantastic in every place that we visited.so many weapons to have reproduced if I had the money
Thank you for posting your latest commissions looking forward to see the finished swords I am sure that they will be works of art and the local museum will have three more treasures
Very nice Robert... Wonderful early type X! That rough blade profile is great...

Did you get a weight of the original?
Very interesting project Robert! I look forward to seeing the final piece!
Absolutely Robert, I second Tim, keep us informed every step of the way.

Thanks, Jon
Thank you,I don´t know a weight,because sword is too corrodet and so it is no relevant data,but try detect it ,whenI visit museum again.
Next step was heat treatment(after rough grinding and filing,of course).

Attachment: 183.26 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 122.59 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 173.32 KB
[ Download ]
Looking GREAT Robert! As your work always is...
Some X type swords,excavated from slovakian,moravian and czech sites has partially hardened blades,so I was try make it too.But ,because hardenability of modern materials is high,border of martensite area is very close to edge-core weld lines.Edges are almost full hardened in fact.
Here are pics of inlay making...

Attachment: 90.05 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 101.71 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 103.16 KB
[ Download ]
Robert Môc wrote:
Thank you,I don´t know a weight,because sword is too corrodet and so it is no relevant data,but try detect it ,whenI visit museum again.

The weight is as relevant as micrometer readings. If nothing else, it provides a lower limit not to be crossed.
I was visit the museum again,and weight of sword is 940g.Here is next work progress after a longer time.

Attachment: 77.52 KB
upr hlavica1.JPG

Attachment: 73.28 KB
upr23.JPG

Attachment: 56.06 KB
upr24.JPG

Attachment: 78.41 KB
upr21.JPG

Attachment: 69.63 KB
upr22.JPG

Attachment: 88.34 KB
upr25.JPG

Attachment: 82.18 KB
upr26.JPG

Attachment: 47.62 KB
upr27.JPG

I love to watch the progress of the reconstruction process. Can´t wait to see the final result.

Mark
... I'm with you there, Markus ...

I really am liking the simple design of blade and furniture, so far ... this
is cool, pass the popcorn will ya' ...

B-)
Oh man that thing is coming out nice! I love it... The type X is definitely one of my favorites, and this looks to be a really nice representation of type.
This project is coming along so very nicely. Do you mind a question ? Do you know if the museum is planning to show some of the construction pics , along with the replica ? I think that would make the reproduction so much more interesting..as the public could see what actually goes INTO the making of a sword.
Looking great Robert! I like those fittings alot. Are they done or is there some more grinding to be had?
once finished, I´m definitely going to see it - it´s not that far from Bratislava :)
I can only repeat what other said already - it looks great!
Thank you.Rado,you can see it on knife show in Bratislava.
Robert, unfortunately that weekend I´m in Zvolen at the fencing tournament... :(
Ralph,this is great idea,I will try to propose itin museum.Anyway,I write article about this sword for yearbook of museum.
So,next step is scabbard....
In short time will be sword ready.

Attachment: 44.57 KB
upr28.JPG

Attachment: 45.78 KB
upr29.JPG

Attachment: 53.95 KB
upr30.JPG

Attachment: 58.55 KB
upr31.JPG

Attachment: 50.55 KB
upr32.JPG