Seeking advice on buying m6 first chainmail
Hi

Recently I've been saving up money to buy my first chainmail armor. I have been reading old myArmoury posts regarding the maille pattern, and it seems most people buys the riveted ones. The thing is those wedge riveted mail cost around 400 bucks. My question is, do maille have to be riveted in order to be functional? What about the ones with riveted armpit and the rest being butted? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ed
Re: Seeking advice on buying m6 first chainmail
Edward Lee wrote:
Hi

Recently I've been saving up money to buy my first chainmail armor. I have been reading old myArmoury posts regarding the maille pattern, and it seems most people buys the riveted ones. The thing is those wedge riveted mail cost around 400 bucks. My question is, do maille have to be riveted in order to be functional? What about the ones with riveted armpit and the rest being butted? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ed

What do you mean by functional?

It certainly isn't as strong as riveted maille but if you're only using it for costume, then it doesn't really matter.

As far as historical accuracy is concerned, there is no accurate production maille, only 'less inaccurate' vs 'more inaccurate'.
Ian

By functional I meant stuff lime stopping a knife slash and sword slash, not expecting it to stop a spear stab or wnything with a lot of force.
Some kinds of butted mail can stop a knife thrust. Mail made from very small links or made from hardened steel can do this, but these will cost more than you seem to want to spend. You might be able to get a short sleeved shirt for less than $400. Otherwise your only solution is to make it yourself.

Last edited by Dan Howard on Wed 04 Dec, 2013 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
What about this one? http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...+%2D+Large

compare to
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...+%2D+Large

Is the riveting a huge difference? Thanks.
Edward,

If you are talking about blunt weapons, it will be your gambeson doing most of the protecting/cushioning. The maille will play a much lesser role. In such a case, historical accuracy notwithstanding, riveted maille would be fine. Just be aware that it may be more prone to damage than riveted.

If you mean to fend off real sharps, I would suggest a modern stab vest as more practical option. They can be had for around the same price.

Edit: you may want to check out www.ringmesh.com I think they are using the same stuff divers/butchers use. It may serve and is very inexpensive. Its welded stainless with the following ring dimensions:
Small: 0.150" Outside Ring Diameter / 0.021" Wire Diameter
Large: 0.210" Outside Ring Diameter / .025" Wire Diameter

Last edited by Ian Hutchison on Wed 04 Dec, 2013 3:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Thanks Ian, I appreciate you taking your time to reply.
That's a cool link to ringmesh.com, Ian. I may have to check into them further myself!...........McM
About that ringmesh, I think their stuff is very light, like some sort of modern mithril. I'm not sure if it's the same as they claim, but their sizes are rather small.

Ed

P.S Got like $190 dollars store credit from KoA today, and bought the wedge rivet chainmail at half of the price!! :lol:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: