Axe'n Sax-in demo blade...
I have had a great year for demonstrating this year, a lecture and Demo at the farriers AGM in september and I have been to America twice , once for Arctic fire and this latest time for The Oakland Axe'n Sax-in run by Jim Austin and Jeff Pringle.

I gave a talk on broken back seax and my relationship with them , concentrating on one particular blede in the museum of london...

My demo was welding up and forging a seax blade based upon one I had recently measured in the Museum of london.
Its a very fine and trixy little seax blade, with a nice set of toothy patternwelding.
I am not allowed to show any of the documentation pictures of the blade because I signed that rite away on viewing the blade . however this is a picture of the same blade I took some time ago.....

[ Linked Image ]

It has a wonderful and fine set of nashers looking a little like a wrack from a wrack and pinion.

both sides show different twists so its a complex blade to try and pay homage to.

Anyhow I did my best, when I finished my demo the blade was not quite the rite shape so I re forged it upon getting home to something closer to the origional. my blade is a little bigger than the original and has fewer teeth, it is however not a bad attempt as a demo piece and I am happy with it as a stand alone blade. If it were to be an actual replica then I would probably need another couple of tries to get the pattern dimensions spot on.
here is a first photo , I'll get a better one over the next few days.
Demonstrating a complicated patternwelded piece constructed from 8 bars and 22 individually placed teeth was a little stressy but with the help of Jim's most wonderful Nazel power hammer all went well . I didn't really want to do a demo to the gathered crowd (including Hank Knickmayer, Jeff pringle and Rick furrer to mention just a few.....) that was not a little cutting edge for me . The teath have potential and I am looking forward to scaling them up to a more "Owen" sized seax....

[ Linked Image ]

Ill post up pictures when I have the blade finished.

all the best Owen
Nice work Owen! The shape and dimensions of that seax are quite pleasing.
Unusual pattern, but very interesting.
Great work Owen.

Love the teeth and the overall form.

You know how it is hard to work when you are being watched? It must have been very hard to work being watched by that particular role call of the accomplished.

Tod
Wow, thanks for that photo of the original! I've never seen that seax fro that angle and didn't realize just how thick it is along the spine, very interesting!

And very nice work on your recreation; beautiful as always!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: