Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoughts on the Albion Knud? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Joshua R

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
My comments are slightly off-topic, but they bear consideration, especially for those buying Brazil nut swords or other pommels that "dig into your hands". Before you sell the sword, try playing around with and adjusting the way you grip the sword. Antique Viking and Medieval swords that had these types of pommels needed to be usable by warriors in conflicts and wars. It is highly unlikely that a pommel shape that digs into your wrist would have lasted at all, much less for several centuries, as Brazil nut pommels did. The same is true for other types of pommels that dig into the wrist. If historical warriors were comfortable using swords with these pommels in war, then something must need adjusting or fine tuning with the way you are holding the sword, or the way that you are striking with it. Before you sell, spend some time altering the way you hold and use the sword.

Couple of things, to continue the off-topic-ness:

A-I, personally, don't have a problem with brazil nut pommels.
B-I don't think I would say that just because some people have problems with them today and just because they were used for so long historically doesn't mean that people didn't have problems with them, historically.

To elaborate on B: There are some people who, no matter what they do, cannot shoot a classic M1911 or M1911A1 or Browning Hi-Power without bleeding. There are some people who, no matter what they do, cannot shoot a Glock or a Heckler & Koch HK45 without rubbing parts of their hands raw (such that even hard-charging snake-eaters can complain about it without fear of losing their man card). The H&K G3 has a reputation among its military users for leaving their faces black and blue at the end of a range session. And the Colt/FN M16A4 has a stock that is far too long for the vast majority of its users, in any position other than prone, while wearing anything other than just plain utilities, combined with its length and weight (compared to the M4/M4A1) earning it the nickname of 'The Musket' (which to me is interesting, because my first experience with an AR-15 as an adult was with an M16A1, which seemed so slim and svelte compared to the AKs, SiGs, and G36s I was used to). None of this has stopped hundreds of thousands or millions of end users from successfully employing these weapon systems in conflict or from recommending them for those needing to defend themselves, their family, or their country.

And its not just a simple matter of size, either. Generally most people who have problems with the M1911/A1, BHP, Glock, and HK45 tend to have big, ole bear paws. I don't have bear paws and have no problem with any of those pistols… except the BHP. And no matter what I do with that BHP, it just keeps on trying to hurt me.

So it's not always a matter of technique, sometimes its just the size of the end user. Just saying. Happy

" For Augustus, and after him Tiberius, more interested in establishing and increasing their own power than in promoting the public good, began to disarm the Roman people (in order to make them more passive under their tyranny).... "
-N. Machiavelli, The Art of War
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua R wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:
My comments are slightly off-topic, but they bear consideration, especially for those buying Brazil nut swords or other pommels that "dig into your hands". Before you sell the sword, try playing around with and adjusting the way you grip the sword. Antique Viking and Medieval swords that had these types of pommels needed to be usable by warriors in conflicts and wars. It is highly unlikely that a pommel shape that digs into your wrist would have lasted at all, much less for several centuries, as Brazil nut pommels did. The same is true for other types of pommels that dig into the wrist. If historical warriors were comfortable using swords with these pommels in war, then something must need adjusting or fine tuning with the way you are holding the sword, or the way that you are striking with it. Before you sell, spend some time altering the way you hold and use the sword.

B-I don't think I would say that just because some people have problems with them today and just because they were used for so long historically doesn't mean that people didn't have problems with them, historically.

To elaborate on B: There are some people who, no matter what they do, cannot shoot a classic M1911 or M1911A1 or Browning Hi-Power without bleeding. There are some people who, no matter what they do, cannot shoot a Glock or a Heckler & Koch HK45 without rubbing parts of their hands raw (such that even hard-charging snake-eaters can complain about it without fear of losing their man card). The H&K G3 has a reputation among its military users for leaving their faces black and blue at the end of a range session. And the Colt/FN M16A4 has a stock that is far too long for the vast majority of its users, in any position other than prone, while wearing anything other than just plain utilities, combined with its length and weight (compared to the M4/M4A1) earning it the nickname of 'The Musket' (which to me is interesting, because my first experience with an AR-15 as an adult was with an M16A1, which seemed so slim and svelte compared to the AKs, SiGs, and G36s I was used to). None of this has stopped hundreds of thousands or millions of end users from successfully employing these weapon systems in conflict or from recommending them for those needing to defend themselves, their family, or their country.

And its not just a simple matter of size, either. Generally most people who have problems with the M1911/A1, BHP, Glock, and HK45 tend to have big, ole bear paws. I don't have bear paws and have no problem with any of those pistols… except the BHP. And no matter what I do with that BHP, it just keeps on trying to hurt me.

So it's not always a matter of technique, sometimes its just the size of the end user. Just saying. Happy
That is not exactly a fair comparison. The firearms you mention are all mass produced. Swords of the period were not. Many if not most, especially in the "Viking" period, would have been fitted by a cutler to the users hand.
A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua R wrote:

Couple of things, to continue the off-topic-ness:.....

You forgot about the grip safety on a 1911. No matter how I grip a 1911, and no matter what style of grip safety it has, I am never 100% certain I'll activate it when firing. I've tried every grip imaginable and it's just not a guarantee I'll activate the safety because of the shape of my palm. Because of this even my nice full-custom Caspian is nothing more than a range toy. I don't trust it as my off-duty weapon.

That said, Robin makes a valid argument, we are talking about mass produced weapons, not custom fit for the individual.
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:

I agree.

Non Timebo Mala
Joshua R

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Joshua R wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:

That is not exactly a fair comparison. The firearms you mention are all mass produced. Swords of the period were not. Many if not most, especially in the "Viking" period, would have been fitted by a cutler to the users hand.

True enough. But master craftsmen are as likely to be very conservative as innovative and given the importance of swordsmiths historically, especially during the early Viking period, they may have been able to say to their customers, "Don't like the pommel? Go buy an axe from the blacksmith."

I admit that's a bit of a stretch, though. Especially in light of the fact that there are custom gunsmiths, today, who are more than happy to rectify the issues that some people have with some of their guns. (Although many of them were hobbyists who saw an opportunity and are self-taught, rather than being apprenticed to a master gunsmith from a young age and learning from them.)

" For Augustus, and after him Tiberius, more interested in establishing and increasing their own power than in promoting the public good, began to disarm the Roman people (in order to make them more passive under their tyranny).... "
-N. Machiavelli, The Art of War
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 30 Oct, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
So it's not always a matter of technique, sometimes its just the size of the end user. Just saying.

I'm not sure this analogy is the most appropriate. As Luka and others have indicated, if you alter the way you handle the sword, the problem disappears. There is a world of difference between this and firearms that are inherently problematic for people to shoot.

I think a stronger analogy might be firing guns. Here, the way you handle the weapon makes a big impact upon your ability to use it. If I'm firing a shotgun or certain types of rifle, and I don't have the stock firmly pressed against the ball of the shoulder joint, when the gun recoils, I am going to receive a terrific bruise or worse. But, by maintaing a proper shooting posture, I should be able to fire a shotgun or rifle repeatedly. It's the technique, not the weapon itself, that makes the difference.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Back to the Knud,I picked one up the other day on a trade.

I happen to like 'transitional' swords so this type is right in my wheelhouse. I'd still like it to have an AE with a wider blade (maybe because we've seen so many replicas based on the Suantaka sword, or maybe because I personally prefer beefier blades with more visual and kinesthetic presence). IMHO the shared Norman / Senlac Xa blade is a bit of a plane Jane. Nevertheless, it has clean elegant lines, and paired to the AE hilt the sword has a nice visual flow. It's hard to talk about handling because I'm currently suffering from a devilish ailment called 'frozen shoulder' (a sword enthusiast's nightmare), but so far as I can tell, its reasonably easy to move around compared to other early medieval sword types. It's balanced like a cavalry sword. The hilt has some sharp edges, but nothing one can't deal with if you're used to hilts of this type or willing to practice (I won't repeat all said above). Overall I'd say its a nice sword and the only good production representative of its type (outside of those Suontaka-inspired swords). If it appeals to your personal taste - I'd say get it.

I don't have a Knight, but I have a Caithness which shares the same blade with the Knight. There is enough difference between the look and feel of these two blades to justify having both of them.

-JD
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do not own any albion swords but I believe I would definitely own the Knud if I could afford it--I think it's a beautiful piece though the Valkyrja is much much more beautiful! I would also love to have a Berserker given the chance.
Looking to start HEMA!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoughts on the Albion Knud?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: