18th Century Wearing of Swords by Students
Greetings! I am attempting to do some research about student life in 18th Century Paris, particularly within the time period of the 1760s through 1780s, and one question that has come up is whether or not students who were of the nobility were allowed to wear their swords during the school day. I have read that academic fencing was strong in Germany, where students were not restricted from wearing swords. But I have found little information about students and swords in France. Would anyone here happen to be knowledgeable about 18th Century Parisian history? I greatly appreciate any help you all might provide--thank you!
This is in all likelihood not directly relevant to your research, but the people involved might be able to point you to some other place where you could find the data you need.

http://www.hroarr.com/french-fencing-guilds/
Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
This is in all likelihood not directly relevant to your research, but the people involved might be able to point you to some other place where you could find the data you need.

Thank you so much for this lead--I greatly appreciate your help, and it was such a nice surprise to find the notice of a reply to my thread in my e-mail box this morning! I'll look forward to checking the linked site out, and I hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: