Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Follow up to Starfire Claymore (It takes all kinds...) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Mark Kosmicki

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! This is great! I want to thank y'all for all the comments and advice, it has opened up some new possibilities. Perhaps it would be better if I explained where I am coming from as far as the basket hilt-pirate thing.

In the pirate group I belong to my Captain has the MRL cutlass and several have the "Pirates Companion". I have that "Artillery Side Sword" with the loose grip, and one of us has a cool hanger type blade. (He's not sure where it came from.) I wanted something different, and was intrigued by Geoffrey Rush's sword in "Pirates of the Caribbean". (I found it on the "Sword and Stone" website) and dug the basket looking hilt. Our group also switches to "musketeer" persona occasionally with rapiers and feathered hats, and I was looking for an all-purpose blade to wear with this costume, and once in a while clang it off of some fops rapier.

As far as "costume Nazis" are concerned, way back when I was hanging with the SCA in Colorado we had a great group until a fantasy crowd joined up. They were into pointed ears and fake beards, elves and dragons, no historical sense whatsoever. It ruined it. Turned it into a joke. I love D&D as much as the next geek, but don't blow someone elses ride, you know? So, for all of you who take the history seriously, you're right. What I need help with is finding a hefty, intimidating, cool looking, different blade that won't look out of place with either Pirate garb or 1620's costume. If I can clang it around a bit, so much the better, I don't want just a costume blade if I can help it. I wasn't very clear when I wrote my first post, sorry about that. Nathan, don't worry about insulting or anything like that. It's all part of the learning process.
Thanks again, this is such a cool site!
Mark Kosmicki

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
I have to ask.

How in the world did you manage to pay $600 for a Starfire?

I do not think I have seen any off their stuff offered at the two faires I usually go to selling for anywhere near that much. Did you buy direct from them or from sombody reselling them? Is it a special edition or something?

I got the whole shmeer, scabbard and back belt and all. The sword itself was only $400 or so. Big Grin
Mark Kosmicki

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ruel A. Macaraeg wrote:
WIth your logic, why not carry a blender on your hip and say that you're a time traveler who carried it from the future? Or carry a stone mounted on a wooden club and say it's your caveman ancestor's weapon.

This, actually, is quite common RenFaire logic when it comes to costuming. Most use the "barbarian" argument -- "Barbarians (or pirates or Vikings or ninjas or whoever) just went around killing people and taking their stuff, so they probably DID use this sword."

As a fashion columnist, I know I've made more than a few such people at RenFaires angry by telling them they lacked both good fashion sense and historical knowledge. After having to repeat myself so many times, I ended up just making a webpage about it. Cool

My Fashion Clinic: http://weaponspage.homestead.com/fashionclinic.html

This year at the Minnesota Ren Fest there was a guy dressed up as Data from Star Trek. Now I don't feel so bad in my store bought clothing and generic black boots.
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beam me up, m'lord?

Laughing Out Loud

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
Welcome to the forums.

Really, there's nothing wrong with wearing what you like on your costume... anyone who is going to be ultra-critical of you should probably lighten up a bit. Eek! If you like it, Starfire "beater" or not, and you're having fun... more power to ya! Cool

Well....

Last RenFaire I went to I saw a husband and wife couple dressed as Jedi and a guy walking around in a sky blue ninja outfit with a matching sky blue ninja-to exactly like those Pakistani models used in that infamous shattering sword video.

They may be having fun... but...

Whatever! We would have nothing to make fun of if they didn't! I say let them... Wink

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To each thier own. Let's not be elitist and trash what others do for fun.

The topic of this discussion is really to try to answer a question about making a suggestion for a weapon to accompany a costume. Let's stick with that.

I'm still confused as to how to answer it, as I'm not entirely sure what criteria to use to answer it. I can't answer what type of sword "looks cool" as that's a subjective thing. So maybe this topic should just die a graceful death unless we can find some criteria that lends itself to an answer.

Again, just my two cents.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Kosmicki

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
To each thier own. Let's not be elitist and trash what others do for fun.

The topic of this discussion is really to try to answer a question about making a suggestion for a weapon to accompany a costume. Let's stick with that.

I'm still confused as to how to answer it, as I'm not entirely sure what criteria to use to answer it. I can't answer what type of sword "looks cool" as that's a subjective thing. So maybe this topic should just die a graceful death unless we can find some criteria that lends itself to an answer.

Again, just my two cents.

Spoken with true insight, it has gone on a bit, no? I still want to posess a schiavona, so if you have any opinions in that direction (MRL or other makers) let me know. As for the cutlass, perhaps the brass cup hilt "pirate's companion" is the best option until I can afford an Old Dominion.
Thanks again for an interesting introduction to Web Forum-ing! Laughing Out Loud
Koz
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark,

We might even want to take one further step back, and define exactly what you mean by "pirate." Though the terms are often used interchangably in everyday language, "pirate" in historical writing is usually distinguised from such related concepts as "buccaneer," "corsair," or "privateer." What time period or locale did you have in mind?

In the same way, you could perhaps even get your schiavona to fit, if you localize your character to the Dalmatian coast of the 17thc. The important thing is that your costume and weapon be properly accessorized. Cool
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Kosmicki wrote:
Spoken with true insight, it has gone on a bit, no? I still want to posess a schiavona, so if you have any opinions in that direction (MRL or other makers) let me know. As for the cutlass, perhaps the brass cup hilt "pirate's companion" is the best option until I can afford an Old Dominion.
Thanks again for an interesting introduction to Web Forum-ing! Laughing Out Loud
Koz

I'd suggest the Del Tin Schiavona. Look in my collection gallery for an example. The ones from Museum Replicas are either too flimsy or much too large in the hilt. Either way, I don't think they're worth buying, personally.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Kosmicki

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ruel A. Macaraeg wrote:
Mark,

We might even want to take one further step back, and define exactly what you mean by "pirate." Though the terms are often used interchangably in everyday language, "pirate" in historical writing is usually distinguised from such related concepts as "buccaneer," "corsair," or "privateer." What time period or locale did you have in mind?

In the same way, you could perhaps even get your schiavona to fit, if you localize your character to the Dalmatian coast of the 17thc. The important thing is that your costume and weapon be properly accessorized. Cool

Ah, yes. That's always the question when dealing with "pirates", isn't it? My self, I'm partial to the later "Golden Years", a broad swath from 1680 to 1725 or so. It's when most of the more famous figures were in operation, and Teach is my hero. Eek!
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 18 Dec, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmmm........Sorry, but I just had to stick my nose in this thread to give my two cents. I have never seen a 'pirate sword'........I don't even know what a 'pirate sword' is........Did they have a 'pirates club' or a guild or something that they belonged to? Did this dictate what type of sword they carried? I don't mean to come off sounding like a jerk, but it seems to me that a pirate would carry any type of weapon they could get their hands (or hooks) on. Yeah, in the movies we see them with shell-guard cutlasses and hangers of various styles, and rapiers and daggers too. Let us not forget that all pirates were not European. I'm quite sure we could see a jambia or a scimitar.........even an oriental blade.....tucked safely into the sash of a pirate. I say that a 'pirate sword' is which ever sword the pirate happens to own. Strap on your peg leg, hang your favorite steel on your hip and go plunder..........and don't forget the parrot...................mcm.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Follow up to Starfire Claymore (It takes all kinds...)
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: