Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Classical vs Medieval army - basically on the same level ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is all about deploying them properly. Richard I new how to deploy them and achieved much with them during the 3rd Crusade, others did not... It is almost useless to generalize, you have to think about how to deploy certain weapon in a certain situation, and it is almost always about combined arms system. William the Conqueror used combined arms system do defeat very powerful army of Harold Godwinson, he couldn't do it if his army was all archers or all cavalry or all infantry...
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
It is all about deploying them properly. Richard I new how to deploy them and achieved much with them during the 3rd Crusade, others did not... It is almost useless to generalize, you have to think about how to deploy certain weapon in a certain situation, and it is almost always about combined arms system. William the Conqueror used combined arms system do defeat very powerful army of Harold Godwinson, he couldn't do it if his army was all archers or all cavalry or all infantry...

Which is why it isn't possible to answer this question. The equipment and troop types are largely irrelevant. It all comes down how they are used and that is dependent on the factors I mentioned earlier. You'd have to address the question on a case by case basis.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
And from the Dura Europa find of the partial Scutum they look pretty lightweight so I'd like to see how it would hold up to a bolt.

Their earlier shields were far more substantial however. One was found at Doncaster and another at Fayoum. Independent reconstructions of each were made and both of them ended up weighing around 10 kg. They are among the heaviest shields ever wielded on the battlefield (not including pavises).

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Oct, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where are the other two found at? I'd love to see info on them as the only one I have heard seen is the Dura one.

What thickness are we looking at? 10 kg is pretty dang heavy.

RPM
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 21 Oct, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can not find any readily available pictures of the wood bits of the Doncaster shield. Are there any, or has the reconstruction been based on the metal fittings?

When it comes to the roman ability to field large armies, it would be more due to organization and tradition than actual manpower. Something the europeans would develop at a later date, when they started fielding actual regiments and standing armies again.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Classical vs Medieval army - basically on the same level ?
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: