Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Classical vs Medieval army - basically on the same level ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 14 Oct, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Only the first time. The Romans would then raise another army and then another. They will learn after every defeat and they won't stop till their foe is crushed. No military machine in the history of the world was as relentless as the Romans and just when you thought they were beaten they produce a military genius who turns the war around.

This depends on the era and stakes involved. For example, the Romans gave up on holding territory east of the Rhine after the disaster in Teutoburg Forest. Medieval Germany - or England, etc - might easily inspire the same reaction. The Punic War indeed shows amazing endurance, but Roman history stretches over centuries. Assuming reasonably powerful medieval factions, I suspect both sides in this comparison - medieval and Roman - would have difficulty conquering and subduing the other.
Matt Lentzner

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Oct, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think in the spirit of the original question you need to consider whether a typical army of two to three legions plus auxiliaries could beat an equal number of medieval knights, squires, sergeants, archers, and polearmed foot soldiers. All other things being equal (and yes, they never are) the Romans are at a severe disadvantage for the reasons I have already stated. Yes, the medieval powers would have a great deal of trouble getting even that many soldier on the field.

Now if it's Rome versus any single Medieval entity then all bets are off. Rome has huge advantages in political and economic power (at it's height). Certainly, a Roman army exposed to trebuchets and halberds could copy them and employ the tactics. But a Roman army using advance siege engines and disciplined halberd armed foot soldiers is not really a Roman army anymore. Rome with medieval technology would, of course, be quite formidable.

Having said all that, I think the Roman Legion is overrated. These accounts of them beating three times their number are just Julius Caesar's propaganda (I you believe Delbruck - and I do). More likely the Romans outnumbered the Gauls in all of these battles. This was accomplished by skillful political maneuvering and well as key sieges which forced the Gauls into unfavorable field battles. That was Julius Caesar's greatest skill - not as a field commander.

I disagree that with the earlier comment that the Romans were good field fighters while the Medieval armies were more siege oriented. Sieges just don't get any glamour but that's where all the yeoman's work of war happens. Rome's strength was also in laying sieges. The horse based armies of the East were the one's who were great in the field and didn't do well in a siege.

Hannibal destroyed three Roman armies, but could not get the victory because he could not defeat Rome politically by successfully besieging the capital. The English destroyed three French armies, but suffered the same fate over a longer period of time. Hannibal expedition into Italy was doomed once he lost his siege equipment in the Alps. All Rome had to do was wait him out - I'm not sure this shows any great strength on the part of the Romans other than they were politically strong enough to absorb these losses without falling apart. They were certainly outmatched on the field.
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Mon 14 Oct, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Lentzner wrote:
I think in the spirit of the original question you need to consider whether a typical army of two to three legions plus auxiliaries could beat an equal number of medieval knights, squires, sergeants, archers, and polearmed foot soldiers. All other things being equal (and yes, they never are) the Romans are at a severe disadvantage for the reasons I have already stated. Yes, the medieval powers would have a great deal of trouble getting even that many soldier on the field.

Now if it's Rome versus any single Medieval entity then all bets are off. Rome has huge advantages in political and economic power (at it's height). Certainly, a Roman army exposed to trebuchets and halberds could copy them and employ the tactics. But a Roman army using advance siege engines and disciplined halberd armed foot soldiers is not really a Roman army anymore. Rome with medieval technology would, of course, be quite formidable.

Having said all that, I think the Roman Legion is overrated. These accounts of them beating three times their number are just Julius Caesar's propaganda (I you believe Delbruck - and I do). More likely the Romans outnumbered the Gauls in all of these battles. This was accomplished by skillful political maneuvering and well as key sieges which forced the Gauls into unfavorable field battles. That was Julius Caesar's greatest skill - not as a field commander.

I disagree that with the earlier comment that the Romans were good field fighters while the Medieval armies were more siege oriented. Sieges just don't get any glamour but that's where all the yeoman's work of war happens. Rome's strength was also in laying sieges. The horse based armies of the East were the one's who were great in the field and didn't do well in a siege.

Hannibal destroyed three Roman armies, but could not get the victory because he could not defeat Rome politically by successfully besieging the capital. The English destroyed three French armies, but suffered the same fate over a longer period of time. Hannibal expedition into Italy was doomed once he lost his siege equipment in the Alps. All Rome had to do was wait him out - I'm not sure this shows any great strength on the part of the Romans other than they were politically strong enough to absorb these losses without falling apart. They were certainly outmatched on the field.

Yes but you've still haven't specified a period, also, the idea of a distinctively Roman Army is a bit laughable. The Roman army of the republic was different from that of the empire and late Roman would have been almost unrecognizable to a Classic Roman army. They copied their Equipment from different Celtic tribes and utilized mercenaries to fill any gaps.
Thye hardly invented anything, their siege weapons were improvements on Greek designs, Aqueducts had been known since Ancient Eyptian times, chainmail (the most common Roman armour) was copied from the Celts. Also, Ancient
Rome did have access to Ancient forbear to An halberd, the Dacien Falx. The whole point, the question the OP pose isn't narrowed down enough. We can't engage in real serious debate if we are basing of such a open ended question. We just end up talking past each other.
Matt Lentzner

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Oct, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK, I'll narrow it down:

Crusader army circa First Crusade vs. Roman army circa Caesar's conquest of Gaul.

Go.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Mon 14 Oct, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Lentzner wrote:
...All other things being equal (and yes, they never are) the Romans are at a severe disadvantage for the reasons I have already stated.

Not "severe" at all. In some ways the Romans hold the advantage, in some ways they don't. I don't know if they'd win such a battle or not. But it wouldn't be like the knights were just mowing the lawn...

Quote:
Having said all that, I think the Roman Legion is overrated.

Um, okay...

Quote:
These accounts of them beating three times their number are just Julius Caesar's propaganda (I you believe Delbruck - and I do).

Well, I guess it gets easier to study history when we know more than the guys who were there...

Quote:
This was accomplished by skillful political maneuvering and well as key sieges which forced the Gauls into unfavorable field battles. That was Julius Caesar's greatest skill - not as a field commander.

If you're saying that Caesar was *not* one of the greatest and most capable field commanders ever, um, okay...

Philip Dyer wrote:
They copied their Equipment from different Celtic tribes and utilized mercenaries to fill any gaps.
Thye hardly invented anything, their siege weapons were improvements on Greek designs, Aqueducts had been known since Ancient Eyptian times, chainmail (the most common Roman armour) was copied from the Celts.

That's a little over-simplified! Yes, the Romans believed that the Celts invented mail, and that the Romans had adopted mail from them. So did the Greeks and the rest of the ancient world! (Great stuff, mail!) On the other hand, the Gauls had already adopted the Greek tube and yoke cuirass from the Greeks, and wrote in Greek or Latin when they needed to. The Romans clearly also adopted certain types of helmets from the Gauls. And yes, like any ancient civilization they needed to bring water to their cities from distant sources, and they needed roads, etc. Borrowing from other societies and cultures was something that EVERY culture did back then, and it might surprise you how many cultures copied things from the ROMANS. It's not a crime or a sin, nor does it negate any accomplishment. It's not like the Romans didn't know how to wear helmets before meeting the Gauls, or that they sat around being thirsty until some kindly Greek taught them how to build an aquaduct. What the Romans did was to apply so many of these ideas on a scale never seen before, and not seen again for many centuries. Sure, other folks did things. The Romans out-did them. Didn't make them perfect or magical or undefeatable, though it certainly made them arrogant!

Sorry, Phil, I went off a little there! I actually agree with the rest of what you said.

Matthew
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Mon 14 Oct, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
Matt Lentzner wrote:
...All other things being equal (and yes, they never are) the Romans are at a severe disadvantage for the reasons I have already stated.

Not "severe" at all. In some ways the Romans hold the advantage, in some ways they don't. I don't know if they'd win such a battle or not. But it wouldn't be like the knights were just mowing the lawn...

Quote:
Having said all that, I think the Roman Legion is overrated.

Um, okay...

Quote:
These accounts of them beating three times their number are just Julius Caesar's propaganda (I you believe Delbruck - and I do).

Well, I guess it gets easier to study history when we know more than the guys who were there...

Quote:
This was accomplished by skillful political maneuvering and well as key sieges which forced the Gauls into unfavorable field battles. That was Julius Caesar's greatest skill - not as a field commander.

If you're saying that Caesar was *not* one of the greatest and most capable field commanders ever, um, okay...

Philip Dyer wrote:
They copied their Equipment from different Celtic tribes and utilized mercenaries to fill any gaps.
Thye hardly invented anything, their siege weapons were improvements on Greek designs, Aqueducts had been known since Ancient Eyptian times, chainmail (the most common Roman armour) was copied from the Celts.

That's a little over-simplified! Yes, the Romans believed that the Celts invented mail, and that the Romans had adopted mail from them. So did the Greeks and the rest of the ancient world! (Great stuff, mail!) On the other hand, the Gauls had already adopted the Greek tube and yoke cuirass from the Greeks, and wrote in Greek or Latin when they needed to. The Romans clearly also adopted certain types of helmets from the Gauls. And yes, like any ancient civilization they needed to bring water to their cities from distant sources, and they needed roads, etc. Borrowing from other societies and cultures was something that EVERY culture did back then, and it might surprise you how many cultures copied things from the ROMANS. It's not a crime or a sin, nor does it negate any accomplishment. It's not like the Romans didn't know how to wear helmets before meeting the Gauls, or that they sat around being thirsty until some kindly Greek taught them how to build an aquaduct. What the Romans did was to apply so many of these ideas on a scale never seen before, and not seen again for many centuries. Sure, other folks did things. The Romans out-did them. Didn't make them perfect or magical or undefeatable, though it certainly made them arrogant!

Sorry, Phil, I went off a little there! I actually agree with the rest of what you said.

Matthew

Thanks for garntering attention, may I be held up as an example as what not to do, Now I'll take my place and as digestor of more specialized minds on this subject
William P

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A roman army with medieval techology etc? you mean perhaps the byzantines??

That's effectively what the byzantines were, the roman army adpting to its regional requirements, as evidenceed by the fact the military manals at the time (9th-11th century or so) put a lot of emphasis on being able to resist heavy cavalry, they used lots of pikemen etc,

so that gives us a partial glimpse of what the romans looked like in another 1000 years
Steven Lussenburg

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:

That's effectively what the byzantines were, the roman army adpting to its regional requirements, as evidenceed by the fact the military manals at the time (9th-11th century or so) put a lot of emphasis on being able to resist heavy cavalry, they used lots of pikemen etc,

so that gives us a partial glimpse of what the romans looked like in another 1000 years
The Byzantine army was a whole different beast though than the late Republic Roman army. Their focus was more on the super heavy Kataphraktos and foot archers/ light infantry than the heavy infantry oriented Roman armies we mostly picture when talking about Romans (not to mention the hoplites armies the Romans used before the maniple system and the Marian reforms!)

Of course, technically they were Romans, but had adapted to new doctrines necessary for their new geo-political circumstances. Caesar's legions would probably feel more comfortable using the gear of the Swiss pikemen than their Byzantine cousins'.
Baard H

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven Lussenburg wrote:
William P wrote:

The Byzantine army was a whole different beast though than the late Republic Roman army. Their focus was more on the super heavy Kataphraktos and foot archers/ light infantry than the heavy infantry oriented Roman armies we mostly picture when talking about Romans (not to mention the hoplites armies the Romans used before the maniple system and the Marian reforms!)

Of course, technically they were Romans, but had adapted to new doctrines necessary for their new geo-political circumstances. Caesar's legions would probably feel more comfortable using the gear of the Swiss pikemen than their Byzantine cousins'.

What equipment Caesar's legions would choose if they could have their pick from 1500+ years of military development we don't know, and never will (doesn't stop us from imagining though!). What we do know however is what the Eastern Roman Empire did do. They adopted whatever skills and tactics their new political, financial and military situation required of them. This happens to all armies over time, those who successfully develop and adapt their military to overcome whatever their enemies can throw at them will survive, those who doesn't will fall.
Had the Western Roman Empire had the chance to develop itself to the 11-12th century they would probably look a lot different than they did in Caesar's days.

At kveldi skal dag leyfa,
konu, er brennd er,
mćki, er reyndr er,
mey, er gefin er,
ís, er yfir kemr,
öl, er drukkit er.
-Hávamál, vísa 81
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At least judging from Western European sources, eleventh-century and on Byzantine military culture was wildly different from classic Roman military culture. Western accounts of the Fourth Crusade treat the Byzantine military - especially its leadership - with contempt. Such sources portray the so-called Greeks as cautious and diplomatic at best and utter cowards at worst. That's basically the opposite of classical Roman martial culture. The Romans had courage and aggression in spades. The Fourth Crusade stand out as an excellent lesson against technological determinism. Looking merely at gear, the Byzantines should have resisted the Franks much better than they actually did, but political, institutional, and cultural factors made the Byzantine military perform poorly.

The classical Roman reputation for courage, aggression, and tenacity makes me think it's a mistake to dismiss Roman soldiers in relation to medieval armies. The classicists of the sixteenth century in part erred by attributing extreme order and discipline to the Roman legions. As J. E. Lendon argues, Roman soldiers could be an unruly bunch. I suspect both classical Macedonian phalanxes and many Renaissance units were better at mechanically following orders. Roman soldiers had an ethos akin to medieval knights in that they desired to demonstrate personal prowess and valor. While I do think good medieval cavalry would outmatch both good Roman cavalry and infantry in an open field, such a Roman army would sell their lives dearly. That fierce tenacity was a key part of how the best infantry across the ages operated. The Swiss and English, for example, weren't so successful primarily because of their gear but because of their skill and martial spirit.

Last edited by Benjamin H. Abbott on Tue 15 Oct, 2013 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like Dan pointed out, the romans would have raised a new army if they lost.
But it would also have been a army of infantry with kite shields, and lancer cavalry in mass produced segmented plate.
Since one of the roman "superpowers" was the ability to adopt everything that worked.

But on a more tactical level, a medevial infantryman has better armour, mostly because his mail covers much more of his body. He will be taken aback by the aggression of the roman figthing style; With their javelins and short swords the romans forego the cautious "fencing" of spears that would be common for most other armies (including the greek and macedonian phalanx. After all, the romans adoptet the style from the sarmatians after the later defeated the roman phalangite armies)
This tactic might work for the romans if they gain the momentum, but if they fail to do so they will die horribly as their foes cut and stabb at their exposed arms and legs.

When it comes to the macedonians, they would have much the same experience facing early/high medevial infantry as they did with the romans; They would be peppered with thrown spears, and have the corners of their formation turned.
What made the swiss pikemen so efficient was their extremely agressive mode of figthing (not unike the romans here); A pahlanx that stands on the defensive will quickly be outmanouvered.

But it should be kept in mind that a medevial feudal army and a anticent or modern army was two very different beasts.
A feudal army is a gathering of men that have as their primary function to police and protect their native fiefs. They do not form standing regiments, train together or drill for field battle when not levied for a campaign.
Each lord comes to the field with himself and his knights, some mounted and infantry sergants, some infantry and some missile troops, in a number corresponding to his means. Only when the army is gathered the various formations are set up, and leaders appointed. After which coordinated training MIGHT take place.
Thus it stands to reason that the performance of medevial armies could be HIGHLY variable.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Jaroslav Kravcak

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well taking roman, or alexandrian empires size and resources at its disposal into account, comparison might be made more even, if several biggest european states were taken into account together as raising forces against them. (Maybe in the form of general long lasting crusade.)

Wouldnt the pool of trained mounted milites/knights/men at arms/whatever and their non mounted entourrage/city militias/mercenaries at the same time period be still enough to replace losses as well as romans would be able to, given the same attrition rate, lets say putting combined manpower of contemporary France, Iberian peninsula, England, Germany, Poland, Hungary and Italy together?

At least for me saying Romans could adapt/copy and could allways raise a new army is very vague and saying nothing, given the same manpower, even theoretical medieval army should be able to come back with another force and basically everyone adapts/copies, if he cant answer enemies advantage in different way. So in the same manner, it can be said romans might be able to beat back cavalry charge once, or twice, before medieval army changes approach, unless complete incompetence and infexibility is presupposed on their part. Romans vs Parthians might be a good paralel, with partian taking first step, surprizing romans at Carrhae and beating Marc Anthony back later, to be then surprized themselves by Ventidius at battles like Mons Graupius, with both siden eventually learning to respect the power of their enemy, the whole struggle, could be said, culminating in rather incoclusive battle of Nibisis?

As for discipline and profesionalism, couldnt republican roman army be likened to comunal militias of middle ages, like that of flemmish/swiss? Even early on they look trained and equipped good enough to be more than just a nuissance.

Regarding barbarians being just hordes of completely untrained men with basically no advanced tactical options, what is the origin of shieldwall then? Could it be rudiment of earlier times barbarian warfare, or rather the result of copying romans by barbarians? Could it be an example of roman-inspired way of waging war?
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The early roman and greek levies could indeed be likened to the Swiss levies, or the earlier fyrd/leidang levies in northern Europe.
However, in the middle ages such levies where an exception rather than the norm.

One of the main reason for the effectiveness of these levies was that they where the main focus of their community's military system, and sought to compensate for a lack of heavily equipped elite troops by drill and training.

In the early/high middle ages this was seldom the case. In fact, one might consider the feudal system a way to AVOID having to deal with the troublesome and unpredictable population.
This is illustrated by the clear shifts in tactics adopted by the Scots and English in the early 14th c, to deal with foes fielding a much lager number of knights. By shifting the focus towards the infantry, they where able to deliver nasty shocks to their cavalry based foes, before these adapted to the new tactics (quckly in the case of the English in Scotland, more slowly in the case of the French in the 100 years war.)

As such, it is quite probable that a early medevial army would lack the training and coordination needed to deal with for instance a roman legion, and that the romans with their steady discipline would be able to sustain the cavalry charges without breaking. Their deployment in depth, with a large number of subdivisions, would also be hard to overrun.

It should also be noted that there is a large difference between a battle and a campaign. In the eastern tradition, (such as followed by the various persians and later the arabs), the focus is on extended campaigning, wearing down the enemy army untill they have to retreat: This is what happened to Marc Anthony and Crassus in Parthia. Crassus ended up marching his army onto the rocky, dry plains, where he had no posibility to resupply or rest, Marc Anthony left his siege train behind and consequently lost them, making his subsequent sieges pointless. He returned to Armenia having lost most of his nearly 100 000 strong army without figthing any major actions.

In constrast, the early/high medevial chivalric doctrine focused on swift action. This makes very good sense in the role the knights usually served in; Protecting their fief from numerically superior but untrained brigands or rebels, or fighting other nobles in small engagements. On the larger battlefield it made for swift successes or crushing defeats.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Jaroslav Kravcak

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Im rather oriented into late middle ages/early rennaisance, Swiss were able to repeatedly and decisely defeat larger armies and despite popular claims, their cavalry killcount looks rather low, they seem to have achieved thier biggest sucess against inferior enemy infantry, with unsupported and outnumbered cavalry giving ground then. Still, cavalry seem to be the force, that would give swiss more troubles, than enemy infantry, generally.

Swiss, at least according to Contamine would be able to field 50-60000 able-bodied men in a general muster, quality might vary, but as they showed, they can effectively wage great battles involving sometimes 20000 and more men on their side well before and in 16th century. As for late middle ages and rennaisance heavy cavalry meeting face to face with soldiers equipped in roman style, I think there was a good reason noone ever tryed it at that time as far as I know. Equipment and level of protection might be as heavy, or even lighter, than that of earlier cataphracts, but I dont think, that there can be made any exact extrapolation, like french gendarmes wouldnt beat roman legionaires in open terrain, because there is not a single example of cataphracts doing it earlier. As I see it, medieval cavalry saw gradual shift towards putting emphasis on engaging enemy in close combat, rather than skirmish at range, maybe cataphracts, notwithstanding how heavily armoured, were never meant to fight in the same way as french gendarmes would hundreds of years earlier, because noone had the idea of doing it/noone needed it/noone found it to be a good idea/whatever else. Swiss would at the very least be on par with Romans and french gendarmes were at the very least able to give swiss a good fight and troubles, when they met them, generally in 1:10 ratio, or so.

Flemmish seem to be able to decisely resist and massacre the French, if they fought at the field of their choosing in a set defensive position and with severely obstructed ways of retreat, but were several times defeated, when they attempted to attack. Assuming Courtrai as one notorious example, there might be 2000 french knights charging into difficult terrain, into enemy several times their numbers, still giving them good fight despite inability to attack them other way, than frontally. Would the most elite roman legionaires of the same number fared decisely better in this case? Would they have beaten scots at Bannockburn, given the same number of legionaires as english cavalry? Would they have beaten english at Agincourt, Crecy, Poitiers in same condition? On the other, better organized, more disciplined and led, wouldnt the actual defeated armies be able to gain victories in all these cases?

As for earlier ages, in France for example, numbers of miles, that could be mustered would be significantly bigger, than in later times. So the pool of profesional soldiers still would be great enough and these, while mounted, could server in any role needed. (In referrence to carolignian empire, where, not unlike in rome, every man of set weath would have a responsibility to own arms and answer to muster to fulfill his duties, or face fines. Once again from Philippe Contamines War in the middle ages, estimated size of army carolignian empire was able to muster in years 800-840 would be 35000 riders and army of about 100000 altogether. Though it is true, that they wouldnt stay in field for long and there is no undisputable argument to statement, that they would like to finish their campaign as fast as possible)

Id say, as far as early/high middle ages go, the best scenario would be a roman invasion, with medieval forces in defence. Romans seems to have clear edge in long term operations aimed at conquering enemy territory, on the other hand string of well defended fortifications hard to conquer, draining their resources each time they decide to take one and ability of many small detachments of individually skilled and well led raiding parties composed cheifly of cavalrymen, able to harass romans in the countryside, I dont think they ever met such a type of solution in defence.
Gene Green

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How many examples are there of knightly cavalry destroying well determined and entrenched infantry ? I was under the impression that most of time, the losing side would break first, and that the infantry that held their ground no matter what tended to avoid annihilation.

Also, didn't the Alexander's army face a large cavalry force when fighting the Persiasns ? I assume in a typical say 1240s feudal army not every knight would be heavily armored.
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Almogavars were a successful Late Medieval force in Aragonese and Byzantine service that continued the basic classical Roman fighting traditions.
Jaroslav Kravcak

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gene Green wrote:
How many examples are there of knightly cavalry destroying well determined and entrenched infantry ? I was under the impression that most of time, the losing side would break first, and that the infantry that held their ground no matter what tended to avoid annihilation.

Also, didn't the Alexander's army face a large cavalry force when fighting the Persiasns ? I assume in a typical say 1240s feudal army not every knight would be heavily armored.

So what is special exactly about highlighting knightly cavalry? How many times have roman legionaires easily defeated determined and entrenched infantry, if it remained determined and entrenched? That has become quite proverbial rhetoric question and what is its meaning? That there was no way for disciplined, well mounted and armoured cavalry to defeat, or severely damage determined heavy infantry in any scenario? That if they all simply dismounted and marched on enemy position, all other things being the same in most notoriously known knightly messups, that they would have won easily? What is the criterion of their sucess? Total anihilation of enemy only? Ability to cause damage? Ability to deny enemy tactical mobility? And what exactly it is to prove? That they were stupid back then to fight like they fought? That heavy infantry of same numbers and quality would be superior substitute of mounted knight?

How many sucessfull frontal infantry charges breaking unwavering enemy in advantageous position can you name, that would fulfill harsh criteria of acknowledging same sucess to cavalry? It allways presupposes, that unless they regularly broke and destroyed defending infantry in single charge without effort, they were useless as fighting force and in examples, where it seems they did, there is allways some excuse, why it isnt such a good case.

How many examples are there of infantry breaking squares or untouched lines at close quarters, bayonet, or sword in hand without any other support in a fair fight, or being outnumbered? Even Scots during Jacobite uprising would rely heavily on breaking enemy morale to make any impression and it doesnt seem they were ever fighting against well drilled and disciplined army.

As for Alexander vs Persians, Im under impression, that numbers of men acknowledged to Persian armies are greatly flawed, being simply made out of thin air by chroniclers and accepted as fact in our times, even if it is not the case, his sucess wouldnt rest on his ability to kill horde after horde of persian cavalry, but rather on his ability to make a beakthrough and use it to his advantage, cutting off the head of persian command, followed by disintegration of their army. If he relied on brute force of phalanx and its ability to stand up to cavalry alone, things might have not gone the way they did.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do think Rome would have been able to raise more resources but I am not sure it is much great than some are advocating here. the Roman Empire had what, 40 (late antiquity)-46 million (1st AD) people according to Russell (though I have seen some recent numbers for 80-120 million but I am still not sure on their methods being as strong). His numbers of Medieval Europe are something like 70 million late and 100-120 million in the High Middle Ages. If we assume his numbers are similarly put together and have the same drawbacks and advantages in methodology, we may be dealing with places in the High Middle Ages like France at about 25 million or 18-20 million in the later period (post BD). Would not have been that huge an discrepancy but still possibly significant. One state like France could be able to go resource well pretty well. That said France is the largest population of one unified state I am aware of there, so others would have had a harder time. If it was unified theoretically they may have had even more resources. On a state to state manner it would have been won in part by who most efficiently used the resources. Look at England verse France in the 100 Years War or Germania ogainst Rome, more resources does not win a war alone.

I think concentrated uses of missile weapons and such would have been interesting to see against Romans. We know some of their enemies did but I am not sure any had the powerful crossbows and in some cases Longbow traditions and such. They have the massive shields but apart from that much of their limbs are open. And from the Dura Europa find of the partial Scutum they look pretty lightweight so I'd like to see how it would hold up to a bolt. Increasing Siege technology as well, later including gunpowder weapons but the massive 8' springalds had to be pretty amazing. As well a good Heavy cavalry often was a pitfall for Roman armies. Adrianople comes to mind among others.

But you have a very well organized, equipped and disciplined Roman armies. I am the first to say medieval armies were not so ill organized, equipped or disciplined as often said but I think the Roman's made war into a very interesting science, maybe an art to them.

Some very interesting theories to be sure. I'd like to see a well thought up recreation of this. I'd help on the medieval side to organize this!

RPM
Gene Green

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But how common these heavy crossbows were on the battlefield in say XIII c ? As I posted in another thread, they seem to have made little difference against the Mongols. One would think that a massed cavalry force would make a great target even while moving, after all you're trying to hit any horse.
Gene Green

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But how common these heavy crossbows were on the battlefield in say XIII c ? As I posted in another thread, they seem to have made little difference against the Mongols. One would think that a massed cavalry force would make a great target even while moving, after all you're trying to hit any horse.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Classical vs Medieval army - basically on the same level ?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: