Got a pattern welded seax blade from Owen Bush
Thank you Owen and Vicci for great and quick service, and a fantastic blade. This is my first blade from Owen, but I suspect it wont be my last. :)

Copied from the description on Owen website:

Quote:
This is a 6 bar broken back seax blade.

Constructed from vintage wrought iron, then 3 twisted bars of 15 layer, then wrought iron and finally 700 layers of piled steel at the edge.

Materials: Vintage wrought iron 15N20 nickel steel and EN42.

The blade is 13 inches long, 9mm at broken back and 6mm thick at the tang.

I'm a real sucker for twisted bar pattern welding, and it really looks great on this blade I think.

This thing is THICK. Viewed from the spine it looks absolutely massive but as soon as you turn it just a little bit, the elegance of the design takes over. It has a triangular crossection from spine to edge, which takes a lot of the weight off. The pattern welding is beautifully done and the wrought iron makes a nice, subtle contrast between the twisted bars and the piled edge steel.

Its also razor sharp, easily shaved the hair off my forearm. Couldnt be smoother if I waxed it.

Going to start making a hilt for it soon. Trying to come up with something that will do it justice.

And by the way, people, if you order a blade from Owen, rest assured, even the most careless postal worker wont be able to damage your package. This thing had been wrapped in several layers of packing paper, then about a mile of electrical tape, then wrapped in a very sturdy piece of leather, secured by another mile of tape to a piece of wooden plank, protruding well past the tip and the tang, before finally put in a cardboard box. Safest package I've ever recieved.
Wow... Very nice. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the grip.
Beautiful blade.
Congratulation for that great seax.
A wonderful example of the type and a typical example of the wonderful work of Owen.

Looking forward to seeing it finally mounted and at home in a nice scabbard :-)
Owen makes a fine seax indeed... lovely.
Very nice, I'm going to have to pick up one from him myself one of these days I think. I've flirted with the idea before.
Wow, that's a beautiful blade!
Very nice!

The broken-back seax isn't my style but I bought one of Owen's seax blades this spring... It was too fantastic to pass up. I am planning to do something rather special with it - a nice grip and sheath.
Thanks, everyone :)

Harry, I hope you'll post pictures here on the forum when you finish your seax. I would love to see it.
Wow, Einar! What a beautiful blade!

Seaxes aren't exactly my period, but I think I may have to go get one anyways! :)
Einar Drønnesund wrote:
Thanks, everyone :)

Harry, I hope you'll post pictures here on the forum when you finish your seax. I would love to see it.

Yes seeing it mounted with a handle would be appreciated. :cool:

Very attractive pattern welding.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: