Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > production military sabre on the market Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: production military sabre on the market         Reply with quote

This subject has been discussed a lot of times from different point of views, but this time i would like to have just a simple answer: if you have owned of handled a military sabre from Universal sword, cold steel, windlass etc, which one is your favourite model taking in account Handling, look and price?

just to make answers easy i would like to clarify that i have handled a lot of antiques (and at some point also owned some)

and i know very well the difference between a true military saber and a low budget replica,

i know perfectly that the above mentioned sabre are coming from indian factories and that they are a far cry from an antique,

considering all their limits, which model would you recommend? i'm interested mainly in saber from the middle of the XIXth century onward but earlier models can be considered as well,

thanks
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a 1796 light cavalry which was fun. It was not a great handling sword but it could slice things up. Of course, as you already pointed out, it is not much like the originals.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thank you Ian,

looks like if the 1796 sabre it is one of the most popular Cold steel model, a bit early for my taste but interesting, unfortunately i'm based in Italy where i cannot own a sharp weapon, so cutting it is not my main concern, probably casual Handling and playing with it around are more realistic goal for me Happy
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm hoping to receive some imput about american civil war swords produced by windlass. i'm aware of the workbench project carried out by Sean Flynt, i guess that the windlass sabre should be a quite popular choice for re-enactor in the U.S given the low price, i have seen some at Kult of Athena at less than 100 USD
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have only handled Windlass Shashka and Shamshir, but I have heard good thing about Windlass American Civil War sabers. KoA detailed measurements should also help you to decide which one might suit you best. Also there is huge amount of saber reviews by Dave Kelly on SBG forum. That guy really knows sabers and has a huge collection.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > production military sabre on the market
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic