Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fantasy/ Historical medieval novels Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Aaron Henley

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. S. Smith wrote:
Thanks Roger, I sort of intentionally didn't mention that one. I love the GoT TV series, I think they did an excellent job with a gritty feeling medieval show. But that said, I wouldn't read his books...simply because I hate reading novels where every one of your favorite characters gets killed off. And the more you like a character the faster they die. It may be realistic, but it's not my style. I prefer to spend a long time getting to know characters that I really like.

Bah, not all of them have died...yet. Laughing Out Loud

There is a surprising amount of medieval influence in the Harry Potter series, but it is mostly their mythology and superstitions that carry through, so it is probably not what you are looking for. Figured I'd throw it out there.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is another I enjoy. His novels get a lot of flak for their obvious Objectivist leanings, but I found the story quite enjoyable, if rather cliche at points.

David Eddings's The Belgariad is an excellent series, and they are all fairly quick reads.

And Patrick Rothfuss has two books in his Kingkiller Chronicles, The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear. They are phenomenal.
Henrik Granlid

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The "Thorns" Series is to be highly recommended, it's on the darker, grittier and (originally) more realistic side with a very nice twist and take on it. After having read it, you will have picked a different genre for it, but starting out, historical fantasy is the best way to describe it.

The first book is called Prince of Thorns and we follow Jorg Ancrath commanding a band of brigands on his path for bloody murder on those responsible for his mothers and brothers death, he is tortured by grim purpose, burning memories and a thirst for power denied to him. By seventeen he will be king, and by twenty he will be emperor.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Henley wrote:
David Eddings's The Belgariad is an excellent series, and they are all fairly quick reads.

And Patrick Rothfuss has two books in his Kingkiller Chronicles, The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear. They are phenomenal.

I loved the Belgariad. I've always been a Terry Brooks fan since I was a kid, but I think I liked The Belgariad as well, if not better than anything Brooks has written. Quite possibly my favorite fantasy series.

I know Rothfuss has gotten rave reviews. I started into The Name of The Wind, and just couldn't keep myself interested in it.
Guy Bayes

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Black Company by Glen Cook
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel by Susanna Clarke
Earth sea trilogy by Ursula Le Guin
Discworld series by Terry Pratchett
Phantastes by George McDonald
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by NK Jesmisin
Harry Lindfors

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anything by Joe Abercrombie.

He writes fantasy, but very gritty and realistic, with only a small smattering of magic in his stories.

Try this link to read small quotes from his books, to get a taste of his style:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/276660.Joe_Abercrombie

I like this quote especially:
"Has it ever occured to you, Master Ninefingers, that a sword is different from other weapons? Axes and maces and so forth are lethal enough, but they hang on the belt like dumb brutes. But a sword...a sword has a voice.
Sheathed it has little to say, to be sure, but you need only put your hand on the hilt and it begins to whisper in your enemy's ear. A gentle word. A word of caution. Do you hear it?
Now, compare it to the sword half drawn. It speaks louder, does it not? It hisses a dire threat. It makes a deadly promise. Do you hear it?
Now compare it to the sword full drawn. It shouts now, does it not? It screams defiance! It bellows a challenge! Do you hear it?”
― Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I appreciate the continued suggestions from everyone. I am not a fast reader, and this list already could keep me going for quite some time. Laughing Out Loud

I'm hoping that other forum members will also find it a helpful thread to get suggestions on historical fiction and fantasy novels. I'm sure I can't be the only person who is hearing about some of these for the first time.
A. Jake Storey II

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is also the Codex Alera series, by Jim Butcher. It's based off the idea that the Roman Legion that went missing in Britain was actually transported to another world. The story takes place several hundred years later.

Also, Brandon Sanderson is good.

Only you can deny yourself your rights.
Too ignore the rights of others, is to forfeit you own!
Thereby, in your crime, YOU bring Justice on your own head!!!
Martin Kealey

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anything by Sharon Kay Penman. Start with the "Sunne in Spendour" (a stand alone book on the Wars of the Roses). Then move on to the Angevin Kings series: "When Christ and His Saints Slept" (King Stephen and Empress Maude), "Time and Chance" (Henry II, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Thomas a Beckett), "The Devil's Brood" (Henry, Eleanor, and their rotten offspring), "Lionheart" (Richard I and the 3rd Crusade), "A King's Ransom" (Richard's captivity and John), "Here be Dragons" (events in Wales during John's reign), "Falls the Shadow" (Simon de Montfort's baronial revolt against Henry III) and "The Reckoning" (Edward I victory over Simon and how events in Wales are affected). Her "Queen's Man" series of mysteries (set in the late 12th-early 13th centenaries) are also quite well written. All are meticulously researched.
Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Historical Fiction         Reply with quote

Hello
Bernard Cornwall`s Arthur series "The Winter King" "Enemy of God"and "Excaliber" is outstanding - I enjoyed as much or more than Mary Stewart`s "The Crystal Cave"and "The Hollow Hills"
I have enjoyed his series on Alfred the Great even more so - called The Saxon Tales...
Robert E Howard wrote some incredible Historical fiction(along with the fantasy stuff ... )"Tales of Outremer"is available at any Barnes and Noble store ... I read them as a kid and did not like them as much as Conan and so on and have rediscovered them ... He also wrote about the Battle of Clontarf in "The Grey God Passes"
If you like Ancient Greece Mary Renault`s series about Alexander is terrific "Fire From Heaven""The Persian Boy"and "Funeral Games"
Colleen McColloughs series on Rome is also amazing "The First Man in Rome'"The Grass Crown" are the first two.
Hope you enjoy them as much as I did (and continue to do)

Tim Mathews
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Jake Storey II wrote:

Also, Brandon Sanderson is good.

I enjoyed Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. I would put it more in the "Renaissance" era feel than medieval, but still a fun read with a likeable main character.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Kealey wrote:
Anything by Sharon Kay Penman. Start with the "Sunne in Spendour" (a stand alone book on the Wars of the Roses). Then move on to the Angevin Kings series: "When Christ and His Saints Slept" (King Stephen and Empress Maude), "Time and Chance" (Henry II, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Thomas a Beckett), "The Devil's Brood" (Henry, Eleanor, and their rotten offspring), "Lionheart" (Richard I and the 3rd Crusade), "A King's Ransom" (Richard's captivity and John), "Here be Dragons" (events in Wales during John's reign), "Falls the Shadow" (Simon de Montfort's baronial revolt against Henry III) and "The Reckoning" (Edward I victory over Simon and how events in Wales are affected). Her "Queen's Man" series of mysteries (set in the late 12th-early 13th centenaries) are also quite well written. All are meticulously researched.

I appreciate the detailed references. Now from reading your description, are these actually novels based on those incidents/ time periods, or are they non-fiction works about exactly what you're describing? I'm really more interested in fiction.

By the way, I just watched the movie, "Beckett", with Peter O'toole. I'd never heard of the man before (not the actor, the historical figure Laughing Out Loud ). He would be interesting to read more about.
Martin Kealey

PostPosted: Tue 24 Sep, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sharon Penman's "Queen's Man" books are fiction. Her other books are novelized accounts of actual people and events.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 24 Sep, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Kealey wrote:
Sharon Penman's "Queen's Man" books are fiction. Her other books are novelized accounts of actual people and events.

OK, thanks for the head's up Martin.
Jason McEntee

PostPosted: Thu 26 Sep, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Bernard Cornwell's Agincourt and his Grail Quest Series are a great place to start.

Indeed, I just started book 3 of the Grail Quest series, and I'm loving these books. I really enjoy Bernard Cornwell's writing style.

Also check out The Pillars of The Earth, and World Without End, both by Ken Follet. World Without End, which is the follow-up to Pillars of the Earth and takes place 200 years later, has an epic depiction of the Battle of Crecy.

"You see, a sword is three feet of tempered steel---with death dancing on every inch, and hanging like a dark star on the very point."
--Ronald Lacey, as Oswald, from Sword Of The Valiant, 1984

Last edited by Jason McEntee on Fri 27 Sep, 2013 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 26 Sep, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the best Bernard Cornwell books are the Warlord/King Arthur trilogy, The Winter King, Enemy of God, and Excalibur. Not Medieval, but Dark Ages/Migration Era. They are my favorite rendition of the Arthur legend.
Christian G. Cameron

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Christian Cameron, he is better known for his historical fiction set in ancient Greece, but his new series, started with "The Ill-Made Knight" is probably his best work to date. I greatly prefer it to Cornwall. He also has "Tom Swan", as a serial it is short little episodes packed with action (for next to nothing). For 'historical fantasy' you could try his "cousin" Miles Cameron and "The Red Knight". What I find most appealing about Mr. Cameron's work, besides the feeling of reality it has, is the fact that his characters never seem as if they were 21st century people in the past.

Well, I AM Christian Cameron (thanks Jason) and I appreciate the push. Blush But let me recommend Dorothy Dunnett, both the Niccolo series (15th c.) and the Francis Crawford (16th c. Scotland) and the 'King Hereafter' (Viking era Macbeth) as well as S.K. Penman and --well, and virtually all the other books recommended here. Duggan for sure. And does anyone else read Cecelia Holland? She can be bleak--as in everyone dies bleak--but she sure knows her history.

Christian G. Cameron

Qui plus fait, miex vault

www.hippeis.com
Christine Munro

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. S. Smith wrote:
Marik and Joar, thanks as well for the head's up on the Witcher games. I've been a PC gamer for many years, and I never tried the Witcher series....I might have to give them a shot.

I'd definitely recommend them. Even as someone who's not generally a fan of pre-made protagonists in games, Geralt is so well done that I find it impossible to not enjoy playing as him, and the whole game world is a very immersive experience. And I'll also echo the comment about the swords being really well done!

Roger Hooper wrote:
On the fantasy side I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Game Of Thrones series by George R. R. Martin. The first three books are quite good, but there is a decline in books 4 and 5.

Oh, that's a pity. Still, that gives me another couple of books to read: I read the first one years ago before my concentration died and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 17 Oct, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Loads of good suggestions in the posts above -- and I think I'd support pretty much all of them.

For great prose describing mediaeval combat, Miles Cameron's "The Red Knight" is great; sure it has threads of fantasy woven through it and is set in a not-quite-historical Alba but the world-building is great and the characters are fantastic and very much belong to their time and place. It's the first of a trilogy and the second is due out soon (-ish). Definitely well worth a look.

I don't think I've seen any mention yet of R Scott Bakker's "The Prince of Nothing" trilogy (1. The Darkness that comes Before; 2. The Warrior-Prophet; 3. The Thousandfold Thought). This is a hefty series and it can be heavy going in places but still ostensibly, it's a re-telling, with some fantasy overtones, of the First Crusade.There's a holy war against a heathen enemy to re-capture a long-lost holy city with a lot of bickering and political manoeuvring amongst the leaders of said holy war as various different peoples and cultures come together in common cause. That's not half of it though; it can be quite philosophical in places and, as ever, there are deeper, darker events going on... The sequel trilogy is now onto its second book. Again, well worth a look.
Martin Kealey

PostPosted: Thu 17 Oct, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Sir Nigel and The White Company         Reply with quote

You certainly should not forget Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's works "Sir Nigel" and "The White Company". Maybe not the most accurate, but a heck of a lot of fun.
Kuo Xie

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruce Wilson wrote:

I don't think I've seen any mention yet of R Scott Bakker's "The Prince of Nothing" trilogy (1. The Darkness that comes Before; 2. The Warrior-Prophet; 3. The Thousandfold Thought). This is a hefty series and it can be heavy going in places but still ostensibly, it's a re-telling, with some fantasy overtones, of the First Crusade.There's a holy war against a heathen enemy to re-capture a long-lost holy city with a lot of bickering and political manoeuvring amongst the leaders of said holy war as various different peoples and cultures come together in common cause. That's not half of it though; it can be quite philosophical in places and, as ever, there are deeper, darker events going on... The sequel trilogy is now onto its second book. Again, well worth a look.

Prince of Nothing is a really amazing series that I find quite difficult to describe to people. The depth of the worldbuilding in Bakker's Earwa is such that I would honestly compare it to Middle Earth. OK maybe not quite on the same level in terms of detail, I mean I don't think Bakker has created entire fake languages the way Tolkein did. But in Earwa the epic weight of the ages and the apocalyptic sense of dread is like nothing Tolkein ever wrote. I was never scared of Sauron, but every time Bakker's antagonists make an appearance, I'm thinking "oh shit". I also wouldn't recommend it to just anyone as it was one of the few series I had to take a break from because the existential despair of the fantasy world was too overwhelming. So how can I put it, the stuff that happens in the plot makes me feel terrible but I keep reading because every revelation of the world's history makes the series more fascinating.

Also, the magic system is easily the best I've read in any novel. The way it's tied into larger metaphysical concepts like salvation, damnation, the gods, the Outside, is extremely well thought out.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fantasy/ Historical medieval novels
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: