Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Alcoholism amongst medieval soldiery Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Tue 24 Sep, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="D. S. Smith"]I can see a moderate amount of alcohol as being both beneficial and detrimental to a medieval soldier. It can make you less susceptible to blunt trauma since your body is more languid, as in the classic example of why DUI drivers are often less injured in a crash than the sober motorists they run into.

On the other hand, it is a proven fact that even a very small amount of alcohol (1 beer) significantly increases your perception and reaction time, which I could see as being very detrimental on the battlefield.[/quote
That is a load of bullshit. The first you are ignoring the fact that one of the reasons that alcohol for the most part is a depressant and the amount needed to be considered driving under the influence is more than drinking one beer and that drinking one beer as different effects on the body drinking several and also ab drinker that DUI under the influence are more reckless, more likely to speed, etc weight x speed equals more energy thus something going faster hit something going slower, assuming the car are similar, the faster the car the more energy it is putting into the lower car, the more force the slower car is receiving and thus the less force the faster is receiving less damage than the slower car and driver. Also you used the phrase moderate drinking for the first one very light for the second, giving the idea the alcohol is stimulant, which has been proven not to be the case.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 24 Sep, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Dyer wrote:

That is a load of bullshit. The first you are ignoring the fact that one of the reasons that alcohol for the most part is a depressant and the amount needed to be considered driving under the influence is more than drinking one beer and that drinking one beer as different effects on the body drinking several and also ab drinker that DUI under the influence are more reckless, more likely to speed, etc weight x speed equals more energy thus something going faster hit something going slower, assuming the car are similar, the faster the car the more energy it is putting into the lower car, the more force the slower car is receiving and thus the less force the faster is receiving less damage than the slower car and driver. Also you used the phrase moderate drinking for the first one very light for the second, giving the idea the alcohol is stimulant, which has been proven not to be the case.

Whoah, easy on the coffee Philip. Laughing Out Loud I'm afraid you've drawn the wrong conclusions from what I've written. In the first, I never said that alcohol is the only contributing factor to a drunk driver often being less injured than a sober one in a crash. I'll agree with you that it is one of a number of factors. But it is also a true generalization. I can only tell you that based on my personal experience of having responded to and treated patients from hundreds of collisions over two decades; intoxicated occupants of a vehicle are frequently less severely injured than their sober counterparts, even when both are in the same vehicle (debunking your statement that vehicle velocity is the primary factor).

In the second statement I made I have no idea how you're inferring that I said alcohol is a stimulant. It is not. I said it increases perception and reaction times, which is what a depressant does...in simpler terms, it slows you down...the opposite of making you react faster. I've got to tell you that if you believe one beer is not enough to make your driving more dangerous, you're misinformed. I'm a bit familiar with the CNS and effects of stimulants and depressants. I've administered both and observed their reaction on patients, and I've testified in court as an expert witness on the effects of drugs. I've also arrested people (resulting in convictions) for DUI of both alcohol and DUI drugs. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, I'm simply sharing some of my experience so that you'll understand it's not a topic that is alien to me.

Last edited by D. S. Smith on Tue 24 Sep, 2013 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
P. Schontzler

PostPosted: Tue 24 Sep, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think there was a misunderstanding there regarding "increasing ... reaction time." It is easy to confuse that to mean "increase = improve" but it actually means the reaction time is longer (i.e. slower), as in short reaction time is better and long reaction time is worse.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 24 Sep, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Schontzler wrote:
I think there was a misunderstanding there regarding "increasing ... reaction time." It is easy to confuse that to mean "increase = improve" but it actually means the reaction time is longer (i.e. slower), as in short reaction time is better and long reaction time is worse.

Ah, good point, now I see what Philip was saying. My apologies for not being clear on that.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Alcoholism amongst medieval soldiery
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: