Go to page 1, 2  Next

1490's crossbow from Tods Stuff - only 6,000 components!
HI All,

Well this bow has kept me busy for a while mainly due to the ridiculous nature of the decoration. I saw a mid 16th bow a few years ago and have wanted to make a reproduction of something similar, so when a customer came to me looking for a special bow that came to mind.

The bow is a 450lb steel prod hunting bow using the style predominant through the 15thC in central Europe. During the 16thC this style got bulkier and started to integrate more of a modern butt to the stock. The bow itself has been linen covered and painted with a decoration from a Bavarian bow from the Wallace. The bow has been lashed on with dyed hemp cord and covered with a woven leather element. The hanging ring and trigger have been oil blacked.

The bow itself has been covered with around 6,000 3m x3mm bone and horn squares, with bone and horn inset plates for the cheeks and the deck etc. This solid covering of high density material makes the bow noticeably heavier than wooden versions.

Both the customer and I wanted make an open cranequin, more redolent of 16thC examples, but starting at around this time so I made the first of these that I have done. Making it open makes for a more decorative piece and also makes it lighter.

Hunting bows very often had pom poms set around them, so again I have done this here.

I hope you like the overall effect - hate it or love it, you will notice it! And that is what being rich in medieval times was all about.

Tod

Attachment: 57.86 KB
IMGP1972.jpg

Attachment: 158.34 KB
IMGP1974.jpg

Attachment: 140.32 KB
IMGP1977.jpg

Attachment: 112.34 KB
IMGP1980.jpg

Attachment: 144.85 KB
IMGP1981.jpg

Attachment: 129.4 KB
IMGP1982.jpg

Attachment: 104.58 KB
IMGP1984.jpg

Attachment: 151.43 KB
IMGP1985.jpg

Here is the cranequin.

Tod

Attachment: 142.52 KB
IMGP1987.JPG

Attachment: 86.17 KB
IMGP1988.JPG

Attachment: 104.41 KB
IMGP1989.JPG

Attachment: 193.79 KB
IMGP1991.JPG

Attachment: 183.01 KB
IMGP1992.JPG

Wow!
Well, I'm guessing I won't be the only one here gaping at the pictures with my mouth hanging open in speechless wonder...

Flabbergasting! -I think that more or less covers my feelings...

JT
Wolf Island
I like the crossbow, but the cranequin is simply amazing. It's like a watch.
My flabber is completely gasted too. :eek: All those little pieces, sheesh :eek:
Wow! Wow! Wow!!!!! :eek:

Absolutely stunning Tod. Bravo!!!!
A work of art! I can imagine the amount of job required to make such beautifull crossbow. :eek:
Eye-popping, jaw-dropping and, I'm sure, wallet emptying. What a piece of functional art! "Sigh" if only I had more Ben Franklins in my wallet then George Washingtons.
Eye-popping, jaw-dropping and, I'm sure, wallet emptying. What a piece of functional art! "Sigh" if only I had more Ben Franklins in my wallet then George Washingtons.
Pom-poms. hahaha. It has pom-poms. Just awesome Tod. Love it. Your crossbows get better and better.

Would LOVE to see a video of this in action, both firing and just cranking the string back! Any way we could see that? Maybe post one to Youtube and link it? I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see it...
Superb work Tod!!!

How long did the piece take to complete?
How the hell does one manage to cut 3mm x 3 mm pieces of horn, let alone 6000?

This is an absolutely amazing piece.

Last edited by Julien M on Fri 20 Sep, 2013 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
This is one of the most remarkable things I have seen in a long time. Like the rest of my fellows who have commented, I am stunned out of words,

Did you hand make everything to include the screws?

How much force do you need to operate the windless to charge the bow?

Oy!
That's amazing!! Excellent work Tod!
Philip Melhop wrote:
My flabber is completely gasted too. :eek: All those little pieces, sheesh :eek:

Best quote!
Oh good grief.
I'm just nipping outside to cut my hands off....

Lovely as a lovely thing. I hope it drove you mad.

;)
Absolute awesomeness...!
Not only is that an absolutely stunning work of art, but you are now officially a saint for having the patience to make it!! Beautiful!
What an incredible piece of kit. The detail work on the stock is quite impressive. The work on the cranequin is as impressive as the bow itself. This is one of the most unique recreations I've seen in a very long time, truly inspiring.

Do you think the Pom Poms could have served as a noise dampener on a hunting bow? I used similar things, affixed to a bowstring, years ago while hunting with a longbow.
Aaron Hoard wrote:
I like the crossbow, but the cranequin is simply amazing. It's like a watch.

I'm with Aaron here. The crossbow is a Masterwork and I'll let the eloquence of the above forumites speak for me as well.

The cranequin is deceivingly simple looking device. Unadorned, it's a tool; the only purpose of which is span that beautifully deadly crossbow. The disassembled view is what captured my eye. To see the inner workings (clockwork) and to realize that every gear, every tooth was created by hand is astounding.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: