Odinblades site update...
John has added a new page of swords (Swords V) to his site. Plenty of eye candy, including some we haven't seen yet...
http://www.odinblades.com/Pages/SwordPage5.html
Glen,
Thanks for the update. I was just on his site a few days ago and didn't see the update, so it must be pretty new. It's always nice to see more of his work, he is a very talented smith.
James
I really like John's work. However, this is a transitional late-period viking sword not a "Migration era Viking". In fact there's no such thing as a migration era viking sword.
Patrick, excellent point (pun intended :D ) It is a very nice looking sword, however it is not from the Migration Period.
It is really disappointing when a very good smith puts out misleading information like this.
http://www.odinblades.com/Swords5/MigrationEraViking2.jpg
Though I will say it is a gorgeous looking hilt, even if misnamed.
I mentioned the mislabel elsewhere, but agree with Bill.... It is a beautiful form of hilt. I keep meaning to get one in the style but still haven't done it.
I think he confused "migrational" with "transitional", but that's simply a guess. Probably best to give the benefit of the doubt.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I think he confused "migrational" with "transitional", but that's simply a guess. Probably best to give the benefit of the doubt.

I don't really see it as an issue myself, just more of an observation really. Either way it's a very nice piece. Best to concentrate on the work itself than the semantics involved.
Stats
I really wish at lest some basic stats would be given for the swords. The DSCF00039 looks awesome, but I'd like to know the length and weight.

Joel

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: