Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The 'Official' I want a maker to make such and such thread, Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want albion or A&A to make this.

http://wallacelive.wallacecollection.org/eMus...ctId=60966

A nearly 70 inch Montante that weighs about 6 pounds. I looked into an Arms and Armour custom piece but financially I just can't do it yet. If I ever get enough disposable funds I will have Craig and his guys make one up. I am in love with this sword, it's details are elegant, slim, and almost stark. Someday I will have it made, it took me a few years but I have the ATrim 1592 and the Albion Fiore, this will complete my dream collection.

...ok, well that and a Munich. Laughing Out Loud

Attachment: 131.23 KB
[ Download ]

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Zach H.

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to see historical pieces for people on a budget. Like Iron Age Irish and British swords.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zach H. wrote:
I would like to see historical pieces for people on a budget. Like Iron Age Irish and British swords.

!!!!!!!!!

Yes!!!!

Squire line are more affordable then next generation but a squire line spatha would not be that hard to do, or a anthropomorphic celtic sword.

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Tyler Keich

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hm, I'll bite.

As for makers, I have no particular person in mind. Or actually, too many. Wink

As for what I would like, there's a few things spanning different times.

A Germanic single edged sword, similar to the cherusker and the one made by Christian Böhling.

And some Gjermundbu maille such as the one made by Johan Gemvik.

Those are two things I've found very attractive and in a short supply of.
Alan Schiff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to see A&A make their Bohemian broadsword with a blade that closer resembles the original as seen in Oakeshott's Records. I had one of the A&A ones for a while but the blade is, IMO, not at all representative of the original and falls short for me aesthetically.

I would love for Albion to produce more squire line models, and for MRL to finally add the longer blades and other options they talked about to the create your own sword line.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't bought "off the rack" in a long time, but I would love to see Albion do some daggers and seaxes. I would also love to see them finish the Hauptman and Markgraf. The complex hilt stuff always still gives me an itch when I see it well done like it will be with those models...
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something I see American production kind of shying away from is sabres. Next to that would be spadroons. While limited appeal for a lot of the market, I think A&A might be capable of ding them as a standard model. A problem with both is going to be replicating the non-linear distal taper at feasible cost. I am talking at least 10mm thickness of blade at the hilt, reducing in a hand's span to half that for much of the blade and ending up wafer thick at the point.

An American made British light cavalry 1796 sword done right would be a simple profile to tackle, as would hussar type hilts. The hurdle would be tooling up for metal scabbards, if desired and quality leather with period fittings would be fantastic (made for very cheap in their day).

Attached are a couple of very awesome and simple counterguard examples from my racks. The ubiquitous urn pommel and stirrup guards which have been accumulated here, also something that could be fashioned pretty readily.

Cuttoe and a plethora of hangers might be welcome to the market as well. There begin to be some eagle pommels appearing third world as well but I have been pretty disappointed with what I see on the market so far. Complex forms in casting maybe now just a printing job away and waiting for any brave souls to venture there. I think there may be value in the long run for some like A&A or others to gear up on the casting or printing formulas for production. Too many eagles to choose from.

Simple quality spadroons should really be a no brainer but maybe a niche market. Some are making them, sharps and trainers.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 9.12 KB
1.jpg

Attachment: 39.31 KB
1-1.jpg

Attachment: 15.52 KB
11.jpg

Attachment: 44.3 KB
olg4699_1.jpg

Attachment: 78.29 KB
olg4699_2.jpg

Attachment: 56.37 KB
olg4699_4.jpg

Attachment: 128.28 KB
019.jpg

Attachment: 85.57 KB
olg4656_1.jpg

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
I would love to see Albion do some daggers and seaxes.

I'll second this, or anyone else for that matter, not just Albion. There's a real dearth of quality short blades on the production market, especially in the earlier periods.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Tom King

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg E wrote:
I would like to see Albion do more Squire Line offerings.

Second

I'd really like Albion to offer a squire line Baselard and messer; neither of these swords were "high class" in the day, yet short of tod or another custom maker offerings are few and far between. A lot of easy to do, low cost kits (like a holy roman empire freeman or a switzer mercenary) are uncompletable because the only sword and dagger options cost more than the kit 10 times or more over.

A $475 squire line baselard, a marshal historica H hilt dagger, plus a simple outfit of hosen, a undershirt, and an overshirt home sewn out of thick wool felt similar to pic related would be a unique kit and easily doable for the weekend reenactor, whereas one of the offerings by Tod a guy like me salivates over window shopping would cost more than I've spent on my armor and primary swords put together.

Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to see Albion get their finger out and produce the 'Alibris' spatha which has been "coming" for about 5 years now.

Or any other 'LRI' sword based on one of the amazing Illerup finds, with an octagonal cross section.

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew P. Adams wrote:
I want albion or A&A to make this.

http://wallacelive.wallacecollection.org/eMus...ctId=60966

A nearly 70 inch Montante that weighs about 6 pounds. I looked into an Arms and Armour custom piece but financially I just can't do it yet. If I ever get enough disposable funds I will have Craig and his guys make one up. I am in love with this sword, it's details are elegant, slim, and almost stark. Someday I will have it made, it took me a few years but I have the ATrim 1592 and the Albion Fiore, this will complete my dream collection.

...ok, well that and a Munich. Laughing Out Loud

i was actually going to say something like this as well. you don't see too many two handed swords with parring lugs - other than Lutel. trouble is, as far as my research has gone, cross sections on current production swords of this type are a little thin. most measurements I've been finding start out with a cross section of 9mm at the ricasso. but a two hander of this type falls into more of a custom work just like the migration sword idea. if you want to get specific you might as well just get a custom.

on the other hand, i would like to see production companies show off more hexagonal and lenticular blade designs. actually more lenticular than anything else, you see so little of it.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sure would be nice if ANYone came out with a decent Roman pugio! There are numerous Indian-made versions, and all of them have bad problems. There are certain features and details that they just refuse to get right, it seems...

Matthew
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: OH!         Reply with quote

so while looking for something else I found this in the Royal Ontario Museum

I want Albion to make this

the sword found on this page
http://www.rom.on.ca/en/blog/re-enactment-arc...-the-sword

and pictured here

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Benjamin Floyd II

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

16th century dussack - of the metal variety
Krieg School of Historical Swordsmanship
A HEMA Alliance Affliate
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Would live to see Albion or A&A do a production Sinclair Saber like the one below. It's a sword type that is sadly passed over too often. This specimen is from the Frazier History Museum in Louisville, KY.

Attachment: 101.41 KB
cutlass_700.jpg
Sinclair Saber from the Frazier Museum

Attachment: 68.44 KB
IMG_2911.JPG

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like Benjamin and I are on the same track Cool
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Aaron Henley

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to see Albion produce some type XIIIb blades for their Next Generation line. Perhaps they could do one with a hexagonal cross-section, and another with the more common lenticular geometry. It's a type that is, in my opinion, horrendously underrepresented in the production market. As far as I know, only the Albion Tritonia, A&A Grunwald and Angus Trim XIIIb.1 are present (though I hesitate to include the Atrim, as only two examples currently exist and there's no indication that Gus will be producing any more of them).

Complex hilted swords have been mentioned a couple of times in this thread already, but I'd love to see a bit more market presence for left-handed complex hilts. As a southpaw, I've shied away from this period of sword history as it's bloody difficult to find an attractive rapier that's suitable for left-handed people.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Henley wrote:
I would like to see Albion produce some type XIIIb blades for their Next Generation line. .

XIIIb's and also XIII's from Albion! With some tweaking they could share the same blade.
Benjamin Floyd II

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was thinking more like this or similiar (maybe with a slightly earlier guard):

I'd still like to have a 'Sinclair saber' though!

A HEMA Alliance Affliate
Benjamin Floyd II

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Or this:

I attached a part of Meyer's 1570 title page for reference. Without the sidebars, this would be close.

Attachment: 104.96 KB
dussack_meyer_title.png

A HEMA Alliance Affliate

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The 'Official' I want a maker to make such and such thread,
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: