Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Deepeka Hersir Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew Harrington

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Deepeka Hersir         Reply with quote

With all the hype I've been hearing about Deepekas new sturdier and accurate lineup, does anyone have experience with the new Deepeka Hersir?

http://www.viking-shield.com/p/682/deepeeka-hersir-viking-sword

I already own a H/T Viking and I love it, but I really like the accurate scabbard and simple look of the type H of this sword. Only issue is 3.5lbs seems heavy for a viking sword. Can anyone provide knowledge on this product or on accurate viking sword weights?

Thanks
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

3.5lbs is definitely on the heavy end, but not wholly outside the range. The norm seems to be 1-1.5kg with most tending closer to 1kg than 1.5kg.

The scabbard is not what I would call "accurate"... For more info go look at our recent thread on viking scabbards and especially look for Matt Bunker, Russ Ellis and I discussing scabbard bridges.

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:

The scabbard is not what I would call "accurate"... For more info go look at our recent thread on viking scabbards and especially look for Matt Bunker, Russ Ellis and I discussing scabbard bridges.

Perhaps not, but I'm still impressed when you consider how far the industry has come in the last 10 years. I certainly appreciate the move in the right direction. Compare this to what we had available from deepeeka and others then and now and it's like night and day. I don't mean to make excuses for inaccuracy, it could definitely be improved, but on the bright side:
1.There is a scabbard.
2. It has a wood core (remember when all you could get was a flimsy leather sheath?)
3. It has a bridge (even if the style is mismatched with the period of the sword) instead of a silly ring or belt loop system.

Interesting observation, AFAIK, the first, or one of the first, production swords with a scabbard bridge was the Hanwei Cawood, and it was covered (if perhaps too small). The only other production sword with a bridge, that I know of, is the VA Hedemark, but it is also uncovered.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart

Last edited by Ian Hutchison on Thu 19 Sep, 2013 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:

Perhaps not, but I'm still impressed when you consider how far the industry has come in the last 10 years. I certainly appreciate the move in the right direction. Compare this to what we had available from deepeeka and others then and now and it's like night and day. I don't mean to make excuses for inaccuracy, it could definitely be improved, but on the bright side:
1.There is a scabbard.
2. It has a wood core (remember when all you could get was a flimsy leather sheath?)
3. It has a bridge (even if the style is mismatched with the period of the sword) instead of a silly ring or belt loop system.
I'm not disagreeing... It's certainly an improvement. I just don't think it rates "accurate" yet. TBH, as was mentioned in yet another thread, getting into "accurate" territory with swords of this period for the most part requires going custom.
A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
TBH, as was mentioned in yet another thread, getting into "accurate" territory with swords of this period for the most part requires going custom.

I agree that that is definitely still the case, though I am happy to see things in the production world generally becoming 'less inaccurate', as it were.

As you mentioned, the weight on this sword is on the heavy side, and the grip is also on the long side (but within historical limits). However, the blade profile from the tip to the fuller is just wrong (diamond). On the other hand, the pommel is a two piece, riveted together. That is definitely a plus in a low budget production sword (AFAIK albion and kris are the only others to do this). If the nasty diamond ridge near the tip could be removed, I think the sword could be good value for money and 'reasonably' accurate.

Addendum: I should say that the edges I've seen on these so far have been REALLY blunt. That probably accounts for some of the weight, but how difficult that would make it to put a proper edge on, i.e no secondary bevel, I can only imagine.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Tom King

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We have to remember this is still a $150 sword; the reviews of the other new viking sword pieces, both stock and as springboards for modification, look promising. Although the strap bridge is a few centuries too early, the scabbards is a lot more evocative than a simple (and highly ahistorical for most periods) rear seam leather sheath offered by most companies and one could easily modify the scabbard to have a truer viking age strab bridge.

I doubt once KOA gets their hands on it that it will last long, just like many of the others from the new line

These new models are relatively correctly weighted, balanced, and constructed with proper distal taper. They are also leaps and bounds ahead of the older models by the same company, which were generally single thickness lumps of steel that look sword like (although some are diamonds in the rough and very good deals for the money)

To add, I feel this model maybe a good candidate for a full touch up job job like below
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0

And given It's length at 30", you could probably knock 3 of em off with a grinder or bandsaw (carefully) and turn what's left more lenticular. You'd be left with a 27" blade with a more historically placed fuller ending and a lenticular, spatulate tip. It would also shed some of that weight and bring the balance point back a bit.

Attachment: 28.3 KB
Herser mod.jpg
9 million hours in photo shop
Matthew Harrington

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info guys! I think it'd be best for me to invest in a custom scabbard for my H/T viking if I want accuracy for now until I get the confidence to buy an Albion. Again, thanks so much Happy
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 20 Sep, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I cannot help but wonder why the named it the Hersir?
-Seems familiar somehow?
Jarno-T. Pälikkö
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Sep, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe they meant it to be a lady's weapon?

Sorry Peter , it IS Friday evening and I am a bit loose after hours of difficult grinding work...

JT
Wolf Island
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Fri 20 Sep, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wondered about that myself. They should probably think about calling it something...not that. That said its an interesting piece and I always like to see a maker that is willing to take input from customers and work to increase the quality of their products.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 20 Sep, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
I cannot help but wonder why the named it the Hersir?
-Seems familiar somehow?

Yes, it would have been better to give it a different name considering it is also a type Type H. Hell, 'Deepeeka Type H' would have been better, certainly less 'controversial'.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Deepeka Hersir
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic