Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fischer Auction - Nice stuff Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my understanding was that "im Stile um..." always indicated later replica (but admittedly, that understanding is based mostly on Herman Historica pieces:))
nevertheless, great stuff there. Thank you for posting this. My favourite is this Krabbenschwert - http://www.fischerauktionen.ch/auktion/objekt...oid=136303 - I have never seen it with pommel like that.

and this - http://www.fischerauktionen.ch/auktion/objekt...oid=136313 somehow helped to solve my dilemma on by-knives and 17th Cent. Messer. Now I can finish my project! Happy
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good spotting! It looks like somebody else perhaps spotted this as item #2 seems to have been removed!

Matthew Amt wrote:
Whoops, that Roman Hagenau helmet (Item #2) is a Deepeeka Coolus E after an acid bath.

http://www.deepeeka.in/index.php?route=Coolus...ayout=grid

Shoot, I sold mine for a little less than that...

I'm VERY suspicious of the Phrygian helmet, Item #1, but it doesn't quite match the photo on the Deepeeka site. The patina is too even, the condition too good overall.

Caveat Emptor, kids!

Matthew

Edit: Re-edit: Thought I had the Thracian helmet at Kult of Athena, but it's not an exact match:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...acian+Helm
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Multiple items have been removed.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I noted several helmets that was clearly antiqued repros. Almost too bad they have removed them, we could have had a competition in "where's fake-o" Wink

I find that a good rule of thumb for helmets and armour is that if something turns up in auctions that are in better condition than pieces of similar type on museum display, something is out of place. Genuine pre-renaissance helmets go on display in museums even in fragments..and we tend to know these pieces by name. The chance that intact undocumented artifacts should turn up on public market are miniscule. Even if genuine, likely from illegal digs or site plundering. With prices listed here I sincerely hope they are thorough with sourcing and documentation..

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That first Viking sword is also either a modern piece or a composite, it has a lower guard of one type, upper guard of another and pommel not really going along with either... Big Grin
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Concerning the "in the French Style" sword , lot 1095, I sent them an email asking whether it was an original or a reproduction. Here is the reply -

Dear Mr. Hooper,
Thank you very much for your enquiry regarding lot 1095. This item is a very well done reproduction, a fact which we had ascertained by metallurgical analysis. The steel of the blade at least is modern. There are several craftsmen in Eastern Europe who produce high quality replicas, age and restore them convincingly and honestly sell them as museum replicas. However once on the market, they tend to be traded as original antiques. Still this is a very well done representation of a sword of the time with perfect pommel- and guard cross-section, which creates a very harmonious sight. Were this sword original it would sell for at least 12000 to 15000 dollars. I hope this answers your question and remain with best regards,
sincerely,
Dr. Stefan Maeder
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Concerning the "in the French Style" sword , lot 1095, I sent them an email asking whether it was an original or a reproduction. Here is the reply -

Dear Mr. Hooper,
Thank you very much for your enquiry regarding lot 1095. This item is a very well done reproduction, a fact which we had ascertained by metallurgical analysis. The steel of the blade at least is modern. There are several craftsmen in Eastern Europe who produce high quality replicas, age and restore them convincingly and honestly sell them as museum replicas. However once on the market, they tend to be traded as original antiques. Still this is a very well done representation of a sword of the time with perfect pommel- and guard cross-section, which creates a very harmonious sight. Were this sword original it would sell for at least 12000 to 15000 dollars. I hope this answers your question and remain with best regards,
sincerely,
Dr. Stefan Maeder

as i browsed through the site, they had a few two handed swords that i looked over, at least one of them looked like a Victorian era reproduction, made with very sharp angles on the swords tip. the stuff is neat to look at, but in another way also leads me to believe don't take these for examples for period pieces. in other words, they may not be worth studying, however if you'd want a really good looking ages sword - go at it.

this does bring to mind why museums and privet collects are so protective of the information about their originals.
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Fischer Auction - Nice Stuff         Reply with quote

Craig,

Many thanks for the link.

This sort of thing really makes my day. It never ceases to amaze me how much "stuff'" is out there. Without this site and others of the same ilk, one would have little access such material.

Cheers,
Dan
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Derek Wassom has visited the auction house and studied some fo the pieces hands-on. His thoughts are posted here:

Fischer Auction Items (Fechtschwert) Switzerland

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fischer Auction - Nice stuff
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: