Tod's Stuff Dragon Warhammer
Oh yeah. :)

Today, the delivery man dropped off a hammer-shaped package containing one of Tod's dragon warhammers. The original is thought to have belonged to a lord of Padua, though it may have been purchased in northern Europe. Dated to the late 14th century, the original is made of both bronze and steel (which Tod has replicated).

I'm pretty happy. I've wanted a hammer like this for a long time.

Edited to add color-corrected photos.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Attachment: 52.53 KB
hammer3.jpg

Attachment: 46.49 KB
hammer2.jpg

Attachment: 35.45 KB
hammer1.jpg

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Tue 13 Aug, 2013 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Excellent acquisition Chad. I love the combination of bronze and steel, it adds a lot to the piece.
Congrats Chad! that is a very fine piece. I have been eying that original for some time. I am very jealous. Again, congrats! :D
Congratulations. Very beautiful work of art.
Thanks, guys. :)

For folks that don't know this piece, here's a pic of the original:

[ Linked Image ]
I like this piece so much I had to get a better look so I color-corrected one of Chad's photos.

Wow, it looks great!!

I've liked this piece since the first time I saw the original on which it's based.

Cheers

Attachment: 65.23 KB
DragonHammer.jpg

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I've liked this piece since the first time I saw the original on which it's based.

It just has so much character, its incredible.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I like this piece so much I had to get a better look so I color-corrected one of Chad's photos.

Wow, it looks great!!

Cheers

Thanks for the Photoshopping. Someday I need to learn how to do that, though I'll never reach your level of skill as photographer or photo editor. :)
Sweet
Chad great choice, Tod has done an excellent job on this. Do the dimensions match the original?

Craig
Re: Sweet
Craig Johnson wrote:
Chad great choice, Tod has done an excellent job on this. Do the dimensions match the original?

Craig

Craig,
Thanks! This is a downsized version. The original is about 8 1/4 inches long likely making it a 2-handed polehammer. This one is about 5 3/4 inches. Handy enough for a single-handed hammer. I am curious about one the size of the original, but that will probably never go anywhere. :)
Oh yeah,
That is definitely a very nice take on this warhammer Tod did. I thought so from the very first pictures of it back in spring, though never got around to complimenting him on it.. ..so it's nice having attention drawn to it again - some items just deserve that exposure.

Without having been able to compare the two versions side by side, my impression is that there are slight differences in dimensions (when adjusting for scale of course); the face somewhat more compact lengthwise and the wings longer on the original. All just minor variations, but somehow the reproduction seems more balanced overall.

I likewise drooled over the original, so obviously I like this one too! - congratulations to both of you.
What a rather terrifying-looking object! In a good way, of course. :)
Wow, that is awesome! Very nice...
That is an awesome hammer. I am very envoius. Excellent work Tod.
The color corrected photograph really shows the inherently beautiful contrast and play between steel and bronze. Tod knocked this one out of the park ... right into Chad's den!
Here's a meager attempt at doing a bit of color-correcting to the other images.

Attachment: 47.21 KB
hammer2_195b.jpg

Attachment: 35.92 KB
hammer1_146b.jpg

Wow; thanks for the compliments on this piece and I must say I was pleased with this one too. I did in fact trade it with Chad, so I get to receive something more interesting than cold hard cash....

Craig Johnson wrote
Quote:
Tod has done an excellent job on this. Do the dimensions match the original?

Thanks Craig. As Chad pointed out this is around 60% of the size of the original, which must have been a staff weapon. I may be wrong, but I suspect that the market is better for hammers so I made it as a hammer and so it had to be smaller. However I did mount one as a staff weapon and it got very favourable responses.

Tod
As beautiful as this thing is (and it is a beauty), it seems to be just as deadly. Because I couldn't resist, I took a few medium strength swings of the hammer into an old civil defense steel helmet (about 2.4mm thick). The spike easily punctured the steel. The hammer face caused some nice dents as well and you could see where at least one of the peaks on the face left a small, deep dent. Impressive. :eek: I wasn't even using much force.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: