Feet and shins on this effigy
I'm a bit confused by what I'm seeing here.
[ Linked Image ]

The sabatons appear to be in blocks vs. lames. Am I seeing that right? Is he wearing schynbalds/greaves or is that hose? I think this gent is interesting but I'm just not sure what all I'm looking at even beyond his lower leg. The bit of skirt is running horizontally in a meandering pattern. I guess it could be a separate or the torso is horizontal too?. Would one ever see a hauberk with trim on the skirt that runs counter to the pattern of the rest of the torso?

Thoughts? I'm kinda new to this but he looks a bit different to me.

Steve
and this one
[ Linked Image ]

splinted feet? Rhinestones? LOL What's happening on this boy's feet?
Stephen,

I'd say from looking at the 1st one that it's schynbalds with scale sabatons. see the bit of different color on the inside of his left leg? That seems to indicate that he's got something that just covers the front of his lower leg.

On the second one, I always took that to be mail. It's the effigy I'm basing my personal interpretation off of- except for the helm.
That first image isn't consistently rendering on the page so here's a link.

http://dijonclub.narod.ru/research/papers/common1370-1-big.jpg
I'm getting no images, and the additional link isn't connecting. Can you find the same effigy on http://effigiesandbrasses.com/ ?

As for the image of Gunther von Schwarzburg, the lower legs are usually described as "stud and splint" with metal (latten/brass or gilt iron) strips riveted inside and outside a leather foundation. The external appearance comes from alternating row of external splints and rivet heads from the internal splints. The shoes likely represent rivet heads holding plates beneath the leather.
[ Linked Image ]
Okay, now that I'm a bit more awake, let's try that again. On the 1st one I'm pretty sure that's scale shoes. As for the shins...it's harder to say. I still see that edge of different color on the back of his leg, but now I'm wondering if that's just an artifact of the artist's process. It seems to still be painted, so I would think it's intentional.

On the second one, I guess always was just glossing over the issue of the weird feet- now that you've got me thinking and looking closer it's definitely not. I think your guess of splinted feet makes the most sense to me, but maybe they're just decorative shoes? (But probably not rhinestones :lol: )
Do you guys think that he is wearing a surcoat over plates or mail, or that is painted and embossed boiled leather?
And now the image is downloading for me.
Rudolf von Sachsenhausen:
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/850/2854/

The first figure wears a surcoat over a pair of plates (the weapons chains attach to something more rigid than mail). This could be worn over a mail haubergeon or with pairs of mail sleeves and pans (skirt). The thighs appear to be covered with leather with plates riveted beneath. There are plate poleyns over the knees. The shins might be either enclosed greaves or schynbalds with a leather edging. Feet appear to be covered with square-end scales.
A bit old source, but Ashdown in British& Foreign Arms & Armour names that type of feet defense on the first effigy as "Solleret" he says that cuir-bouilli must have been used for making it(think the same). He mentions a brass of Sir William Cheyne at Drayton Beuchamp.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: