Sword weights not exactly as advertised
Do you ever weigh your swords and check the COB?

I bought a little kitchen scale which serves the purpose well enough and noticed that all the swords I have are off in the advertised weights.

I don't have a big problem with this really, I'm just a bit surprised because aren't these machined? 3 of mine are Albions and 1 is an Arms and Armor sword.

Advertised weight
Steward-1300 g
Crecy-1390 g
Vigil-1140 g
Arms and Armor Grunwald-2.4 lbs

Actual weight
Steward-1337g
Crecy-1362g
Vigil-1123 g
Arms and Armor Grunwald-2.5625 lbs
The COB on this one is 5.5 and was advertised as 4.25

2 are heavier, 2 are lighter.

I guess this is a common occurrence?
Blades may be brought to rough shape on a CNC machine, hilt components may be investment cast, but there is still quite a bit of handwork involved in the finishing process. As such, variances can and do occur. Study genuine antiques if you want to see things that will drive you crazy in terms of proportion. Use the stats as a baseline, not as a hard and fast rule. Best not to be too anal retentive when it comes to these things. :D

With your Crecy there's a difference of roughly .062 pound. If you can't abide that kind of variance you'd better go work for NASA. ;)
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Blades may be brought to rough shape on a CNC machine, hilt components may be investment cast, but there is still quite a bit of handwork involved in the finishing process. As such, variances can and do occur. Study genuine antiques if you want to see things that will drive you crazy in terms of proportion. Use the stats as a baseline, not as a hard and fast rule. Best not to be too anal retentive when it comes to these things. :D

With your Crecy there's a difference of roughly .062 pound. If you can't abide that kind of variance you'd better go work for NASA. ;)

When I was a kid I did want to be an astronaut :D Where did all the space hype go anyway? Nobody cares about that anymore.

2001 space odyssey never happened. :(

anyway, it doesn't bother me, it's just something I noticed that perked me up.
I haven't actually handled a proper viking sword replica but the grunwalds stats compare to them.

It's got heavy blade presence, nothing to crazy, it's still feels good in the hand and feels like it could cleave a cow leg in half. If it had absolutely no edge this thing would easily just bash you to death through non plate armor.
Yes, the difference in weight is not that big. In order to get a better idea of how difficult this is, you can work out an estimate of the difference in thickness:

What you are seeing are differences of 30g, roughly. Let's compute the thickness of a plate of 30g of steel, 100cm long and 5cm wide (this is "sword size", roughly). Steel density is 7.8g/cm³. So the thickness of the plate would be 30 / 7.8 / (100*5), which is 0.008cm... It's actually amazing that they are accurate to that degree :)

Now the variation of the point of balance, on the other hand, is quite big.

Regards,
seems like a good thing... your Steward is positively leet ;)
Well, those Albion difference are negligible and to be expected all in all.

Grunwald differences are probably actually noticeable indeed though.
~20 grams difference is expected and acceptable since these are handmade objects and not machined to specs. That's less than 2% "wrong".

But I was a little disappointed by my Windlass Hungarian Saber that was around 80g too heavy compared to it's advertised specs. Thats a bit too much.
Patrick Kelly wrote:

maybe their advertised weights are a rough average of their product or estimation. working in production these days, i see a lot of fine math equations put together to make the same product exactly the same 8000 times a day. but, even with all the perpetration there is still variance that just cannot be controlled. so if you try to make something 1300 grams exactly every time, your still going to have a slight variance in weight in either direction from time to time. add in the human factor of the finishing process and i think its impossible to hit the mark every time.
Harri Kyllönen wrote:
~20 grams difference is expected and acceptable since these are handmade objects and not machined to specs. That's less than 2% "wrong".

But I was a little disappointed by my Windlass Hungarian Saber that was around 80g too heavy compared to it's advertised specs. Thats a bit too much.

At the Windlass price point even bigger variances should be expected.
Daniel Wallace wrote:
maybe their advertised weights are a rough average of their product or estimation. working in production these days, i see a lot of fine math equations put together to make the same product exactly the same 8000 times a day. but, even with all the perpetration there is still variance that just cannot be controlled. so if you try to make something 1300 grams exactly every time, your still going to have a slight variance in weight in either direction from time to time. add in the human factor of the finishing process and i think its impossible to hit the mark every time.

Exactly.
Nat Lamb wrote:
seems like a good thing... your Steward is positively leet ;)

Yeah, haha :lol: I actually took a cell phone photo of that and sent it to some people.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: