Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Enarmes and Shield Technique Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matt Lentzner

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Aug, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Enarmes and Shield Technique         Reply with quote

I feel like I have a good feel now for how center-gripped shields were used in combat based on this video (which is mind-blowing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc (Roland Warzecha)

The introduction of the kite shield seems to have introduced a new paradigm in shield employment. I assume it's genesis was to cover the left flank of a mounted fighter and needed to be long in order to cover the left leg before leg armor became commonplace. I also assume this accompanied a change in tactics that made heavy horsemen into shock troops.

Assuming this is correct it's a big change from the aggressive use of shields shown by Warzecha to something much more passive. Enarmes would seem to give the user the ability to use a much sturdier shield since the weight is being borne by the forearm instead of the wrist. But then this makes the shield more of component of the armor than a complimentary weapon. If that's true then the later abandonment of the shield makes more sense to me since it became redundant with the advent of plate limb armor and gauntlets.

The other interesting part of the story is the buckler which is center-gripped and used aggressively - but of course we are talking about fighters who are unarmored or only lightly armored.

Any commentary is appreciated.
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Thu 08 Aug, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

very interesting and educating video, it really gives a different outlook on the performance of the shield to a novices knowledge.

his ideas of applied force and using it to your advantage reminds me of the an eastern fighting style (kempo). it just goes to show that the same ideas were in use and probably always have been.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Enarmes and Shield Technique
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic