Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hi, my name is Dustin. I'm a n00b with a strange question. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 

Is using a sword as a camping tool a good idea?
Yes
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
No
97%
 97%  [ 75 ]
Total Votes : 77

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is absolutely no reason for people to get themselves all worked up. Now is a great time to breathe, calm down, stop sniping back and forth and get back to what had been a pretty thoughtful conversation. We don't tolerate incivility here.

Back to the discussion, please.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about Hanwei's tactical swords? I bought one before the price went up. I abused it in anyway I can, still looks in tact though.
P. Schontzler

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi, my name is Dustin. I'm a n00b with a strange questi         Reply with quote

Jason Daub wrote:

A thrust would be highly effective, and hunting bear in Europe in the Middle Ages with the sword was highly esteemed, but we have better tools for that now.

Do you recall where I can find more information on that? Whenever I've encountered the topic most people say medieval bear hunts were only by spear, which by the picture provided in this thread we already know to be false.
Ron Reimer

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For me I use a seax with a 13" blade as a bush knife, but I love Khukris too.I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Dha, as its both sword and tool.As for a modern version try the Hanwei Banshee or the Tactical Wakizashi.Condors goloks and parangs also might fit your bill.At the very least given the price and quality they make a good base for customising.
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rather than consider the applicability of a sword for this sort of use I would suggest a re-thinking of the initial list. I've never had a use for any of those items while backpacking outside a pocket or hunting knife. No good weight in the lot, in my opinion.
Jason Daub

Reading list: 78 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi, my name is Dustin. I'm a n00b with a strange questi         Reply with quote

P. Schontzler wrote:
Do you recall where I can find more information on that? Whenever I've encountered the topic most people say medieval bear hunts were only by spear, which by the picture provided in this thread we already know to be false.

If you can, see if you can find "The Hound and the Hawk" by John Cummins, he mentions that the bear was highly esteemed as a quarry by Gaston Phoebus, Alfonso XI of Castile, John I of Portugal and Maximilian I. The sword was regarded as the most dangerous way to dispatch the quarry and both it and the short spear were the preferred weapons of Maximilian. According to his research, the bear was a royal animal and more highly regarded than the stag in Iberia, with very high fines for the unlawful killing of one. Cummins' book is probably the best overview of medieval hunting that there is in English, with extensive footnotes and bibliography.

P.S. You can also see it depicted in "The Boar and Bear Hunt" tapestry, one of the Devonshire Hunting Tapestries currently in the V&A.

'I saw young Harry, -with his bevor on,
His cuisses on his thighs, gallantly arm'd,-
Rise from the ground like feather'd Mercury,
And vaulted with such ease into his seat,
As if an angel dropp'd down from the clouds,
To turn and wind a fiery Pegasus,
And witch the world with noble horsemanship.'
Ben Coomer

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having actually carried swords and other weapons on various training outings and pure stupid teenage ego trips, I will vouch that swords are hindrances for most backpacking. They tend to be long, bulky, and useless in most of the situations you'll find yourself in.

Now if I were to facing some fighting while travelling, I might go with sword though as it is fairly portable, not especially heavy, and usually well protected by it scabbard, but a spear would probably be my first choice.

Since this is an unlikely situation, don't bother. A Leatherman or other multi-tool will probably handle 90%+ of any backpacking cutting needs.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might find a tool you need here: http://traditionalarcherybows.com/
These are historically inspired swords but not really historically made, balanced, constructed or designed. But they look cool and are durable.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hi, my name is Dustin. I'm a n00b with a strange question.
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: