Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Real combat? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Guy Bayes

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry that was suppose to read "Interestingly enough though, dueling in the west at least"

IMO in the west, Saber was mostly Calvary or nautical traditions. It certainly was not the dominant form of western dueling in the 17th to 19th century from what I know. I am no expert though

Footwork is pretty tricky on ships maybe, and thrusts are more dependent on lunges which requires decent footing?
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guy Bayes wrote:
Sorry that was suppose to read "Interestingly enough though, dueling in the west at least"

IMO in the west, Saber was mostly Calvary or nautical traditions. It certainly was not the dominant form of western dueling in the 17th to 19th century from what I know. I am no expert though

Footwork is pretty tricky on ships maybe, and thrusts are more dependent on lunges which requires decent footing?

Are you familiar with the mensur fraternities dueling specifically to yield a scar from slashing? Or, familiar with Hutton?

The sidebar for military aspects goes back to the original question/post. To continue in that vein, there are numerous instructions for sabres on foot (on dry land). My point there perhaps to underline that straight swords were not a do-all in combat, or indeed, dueling.

Cheers

GC
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One argument that makes a lot of sense is that, in a battle, the goal is to disable your opponent and move on to the next. A neat little hole might eventually prove fatal but in the meant time he is often able to continue fighting. A sword cut is more likely to immediately disable an opponent but is less likely to ultimately prove fatal. The latter is more preferable to a soldier; he doesn't care whether his opponent is dead or not so long as he can't fight any more.
Raman A

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jul, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
modern saber and foil fencing has been sporterized past the point of considering them to be combat. Next time the olympics come on watch what they do- essentially a quick draw contest where the guy who wins hit first, the winner being hit a 1/64th of a second later. The techniques taught for modern foil fencing would be useless with a smallsword, let alone a rapier. This is because of ultralight weapons, limited legal strikes, limited legal strike locations, etc. so within the confines of the rules the spoertized system works best, but without the rules it is near useless. similar to how in reenactment communities like the SCA shield and sword is so common because any strike is considered a killing blow, so correct forms of combat are neutered and a pseudo combat sport evolves to match the rule set.

Same goes for kendo with it's limited strikes, legal hit locations, and ritualized bouts.

in it's purest form olympic foil and saber can be applied to sabers and small swords, but they are different animals and when compared to historical methods of fencing they will be lacking.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubsfz17mo4glwor/Polish%20Saber%20HEMA.pdf
compare ^ to modern saber; attempting to use a real saber as a "saber" or vise versa would be rather comical and if you handed a olympic purist a thumb ring Szabla and had him fight a man trained in traditional saber fencing it would be a quick fight, although if the tables were reversed and the rules of olympic saber fencing were in place it could go the other way.

This is nonsense because you're conflating many different modern sports. Foil and kendo have the rules in place to try to preserve some combat realism. The limited strikes and hit locations in kendo, and the limited hit location and right of way rules in foil are specifically in place to try to preserve combat realities. They're the opposite of the SCA, which as you admit don't have enough rules in place and as such certain unrealistic advantages are born. A lot of people assume at first that something like epee, which has basically no restrictions, is the most realistic when its actually the most "sporterized" of all the modern fencing sports.Your examples of SCA and kendo are antithetical. You state that SCA is unrealistic because any strike is considered a killing blow, but then say the same goes for kendo, which oppositely only considers specific strikes to locations that would immediately incapacitate the opponent as a kill.

I'm not saying that foil and kendo are realistic but they're closer to combat realities than people give them credit for. If you practice kendo its just a short leap to diGrassi.

Also, people need to keep in mind that with the exception of polearm sized swords, swordsmanship has ALWAYS been about dueling or self-defense and not war. Some people view the changes that European swords went through as an evolution, from brutish power weapons to refined tools. Others view it as a degeneration from true weapons of war to the toys with which dandies settled disputes. I think both of these viewpoints are myopic and wrong. This also ties into the whole "cut vs. thrust" debate but I think much of the differences between period and region in swords and fencing has to do with that nebulous cultural changes rather than any "evolution" in techniques or technology.
Guy Bayes

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jul, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

None of the current rulesets realistically simulate fighting with swords, no rule set really works well, they al rely on human judges for one thing, and none of them have a realistic way of handling the results of a hit a series of hits and the degree of dehibiation caused

As a result, either all hits are equal or only certain areas of the body count, and generally either only the first hit matters or multiple hits cancel out

Since none of them have a good mechanism for really handling priority and right of way, offense and defensive equilibrium get grown seriously out of whack and things get kind of farcical IMO

You could work around some of that with a lot better sensors and a computer models that score in real time , then you could at least have an opinion that "he may have cut me first but then I killed him after so I go home and he goes in a box" . That would be a world better then the current state of affairs but still not perfect since the physical fight is going to get out of sync with the computer results pretty quickly in a long engagement

This is all only tangentially related to dueling and affairs of honor where people did get killed and if there was a disagreement about right of way or something you could just keep going till someone was actually incapacitated. The dueling rule sets where probably influenced by a desire to not actually kill people though, at one point in time duels were a leading cause of death amount the younger male members of the upper class.

As far as swords now being weapons of war, depends on the timeframe, no one told the Romans that
Christopher Treichel

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jul, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert W Tucker wrote:
I believe that all bladed weapons were designed to kill, however some are not intended to fight others though they could, if I had A small sword in hand against A saber I would wish I had A saber most small swords are to light to defend against such weapons, but that particular person might be exceptionally suited to the small sword and choose it regardless he may still win or loose that has more to do with the fighter themselves not the weapon.

True.... but one must note that even though a weapon is really light and looks flimsy they knew what they were doing when they made them that way.

A 1lb small sword in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing is well matched against someone who knows what they are doing with a saber, longsword etc.

Size doesn't amount to everything... a short stiff lever vs a long lever... size of the debole and forte on one vs that on the other... A small sword is wicked fast as compared to some of its larger cousins and even though a saber can deliver great blows and is very useful on horseback or foot... a smallsword in the hands of a skilled practicioner in a one on one engagement can hold its ground.
Robert B. Marks

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jul, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps I might be able to take a shot at clearing this up a bit...

Ultimately, types of swords and swordplay are purpose based. That purpose will determine whether it can be considered "real combat" or not.

So, if you go back to around the early 14th century and the time of i.33, you'll see swords being used as a knightly weapon of last resort on the battlefield, and in the judicial duel. So, if you struck a blow against somebody at this point in time, it was meant to maim or kill. So, this would be real combat.

Move forward a hundred or so years, and you're at the height of longsword combat. Most of this is being used for the judicial duel or dueling of some sort, with bouts being to the death. So, the techniques that are being practiced are designed to maim or kill. Again, real combat.

Move forward to the 19th century, and you'll see two types of dueling emerging. One is deadly serious (I think it was in a book about the War of 1812 that I read that one of the problems the American army struggled with was its officer corps nearly depopulating itself either fighting duels of honour or by resigning over points of honour), and the other was for sport. A duel to the death is, well, to the death. The techniques there are designed to maim or kill. A sporting duel, however, was to first blood, or to the first hit. Maiming or killing was the exact opposite of what was required. So, rather than striking a blow to cause a serious injury, the intention became to touch your opponent's jacket and score a point.

It's from this sport fencing that modern fencing was born. There is no intent to cause bodily harm, so you could say that it isn't "real combat."

Now, that said, speaking as somebody who is a founding member of a longsword group, NOBODY is doing "real combat" today who isn't in law enforcement or the military (or perhaps a gang war). We may be practicing the techniques that were once used in duels to the death, and doing it very carefully (as they are designed to seriously injure people), but anybody who is actually thinking "I want to chop my sparring partner's hand off" has no business holding a sword in the first place.

And, THAT said, when it comes to the Western Martial Arts/Historical European Martial Arts, it is about as close as you can get to "real combat" with swords - the techniques practiced are the ones meant to kill or maim, hence the need for gambesons, specially designed blunt swords, fencing masks, etc. And, further, you can cause serious harm to somebody if you do sport fencing with a a sharpened sword - nobody comes away from being run through unhurt.

I hope that clarified things a bit...

Robert Marks
Darksword Armory, Inc.
www.darksword-armory.com
Christopher Treichel

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jul, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would have to disagree with that statement on the start of sport fencing... it goes back much farther... and duels that were to the touch also were frequently fatal.

There is plently of evidence of fencing at festivals with wooden or leather swords going back much farther than the 18th or 19th century...

Also the foil very similar to today's sport fencing foil was used as a training tool back to that time as well and fencing competitions with blunt weapons were held not in relation to dueling. Evidence for this is in many fencing treaties from the 17th and 18th century where the master discusses his choice of weapons to include why or why not to study with dueling weapons (floret vs epee) (rapier vs degen) and why fencing is great exercise.

That still leaves the problem of fencing without intent... which is why in sport fencing and HEMA you frequently see ridiculous attacks without defense.
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jul, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raman A wrote:
Tom King wrote:
modern saber and foil fencing has been sporterized past the point of considering them to be combat. Next time the olympics come on watch what they do- essentially a quick draw contest where the guy who wins hit first, the winner being hit a 1/64th of a second later. The techniques taught for modern foil fencing would be useless with a smallsword, let alone a rapier. This is because of ultralight weapons, limited legal strikes, limited legal strike locations, etc. so within the confines of the rules the spoertized system works best, but without the rules it is near useless. similar to how in reenactment communities like the SCA shield and sword is so common because any strike is considered a killing blow, so correct forms of combat are neutered and a pseudo combat sport evolves to match the rule set.

Same goes for kendo with it's limited strikes, legal hit locations, and ritualized bouts.

in it's purest form olympic foil and saber can be applied to sabers and small swords, but they are different animals and when compared to historical methods of fencing they will be lacking.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubsfz17mo4glwor/Polish%20Saber%20HEMA.pdf
compare ^ to modern saber; attempting to use a real saber as a "saber" or vise versa would be rather comical and if you handed a olympic purist a thumb ring Szabla and had him fight a man trained in traditional saber fencing it would be a quick fight, although if the tables were reversed and the rules of olympic saber fencing were in place it could go the other way.

This is nonsense because you're conflating many different modern sports. Foil and kendo have the rules in place to try to preserve some combat realism. The limited strikes and hit locations in kendo, and the limited hit location and right of way rules in foil are specifically in place to try to preserve combat realities. They're the opposite of the SCA, which as you admit don't have enough rules in place and as such certain unrealistic advantages are born. A lot of people assume at first that something like epee, which has basically no restrictions, is the most realistic when its actually the most "sporterized" of all the modern fencing sports.Your examples of SCA and kendo are antithetical. You state that SCA is unrealistic because any strike is considered a killing blow, but then say the same goes for kendo, which oppositely only considers specific strikes to locations that would immediately incapacitate the opponent as a kill.

I'm not saying that foil and kendo are realistic but they're closer to combat realities than people give them credit for. If you practice kendo its just a short leap to diGrassi.

Also, people need to keep in mind that with the exception of polearm sized swords, swordsmanship has ALWAYS been about dueling or self-defense and not war. Some people view the changes that European swords went through as an evolution, from brutish power weapons to refined tools. Others view it as a degeneration from true weapons of war to the toys with which dandies settled disputes. I think both of these viewpoints are myopic and wrong. This also ties into the whole "cut vs. thrust" debate but I think much of the differences between period and region in swords and fencing has to do with that nebulous cultural changes rather than any "evolution" in techniques or technology.

similar to how in reenactment communities like the SCA shield and sword is so common because any strike is considered a killing blow <- that's horseshit, there many things sporterized about the SCA but I know from my own and experience of every single person I've meet that it is not true.
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jul, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hm. i think this longsword guy meant something different.
i think he wanted to say, with a longsword you were are able to deal with every situation you encounter, be it war or peacetime, you could fight battles with it or duell for the honour of a lady. (maybe like a modern aussault rifle, designed to have the most gain in all possible situations in contrast to more specific weapons like smg or sniper rilfe)
whereas a rapier smallsword etc. is only usefull in a certain situation under defined circumstances and a set of rules preventing "real combat". (maybe "real combat" just means doing the utmost to kill you oponent)

in case i see this right, i disagree.
in times rapiers and smallswords were carried, people didn`t only fight duells with them (with peers of their social class), but also defended themselves against robbers or had bar brawls.
wallenstein e.g. in his youth was imprisoned in altdorf for drunk follies with his rapier.
imho these later blades must have been effectiv combat tools also outside their role in classic view as duell weapons, cause only a limited numer of wealthy people carried them, and they had to defend themselves against the envy of ruthless caracters in dark narrow alleys or in woods with marauding mercenaries.

on the other hand, slightly out of context, i think, longswords may be really be superior to rapiers in modern hema circumstances. whoever had a sparring with rapier against a longsword will agree. parrying blows is a pain (physically and mentally, seeing this brute thing making dents to the rings of my elegant hilt makes my heart sting), he nearly has the reach of the rapier and is only slightly slower.
Guy Bayes

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jul, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another piece of this is the nature of the battle that the sword was expected to be effective in

For battles that had a lot of melee, and a lot of armor, durability of a sword seemed to be pretty important, weapons seemed to trend larger and larger

Once firearms dominated, armor went away, swords use started to become more special case "when guns fail" scenarios, cavalry charges, officers, naval boarding actions, durability seemed less important, swords got smaller and faster

Gross oversimplification I know, but the point is the weapon only makes sense in the context
Robert W Tucker

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jul, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

sport fencing is not sword play any ken do or foil student will tell you that the guy who got off to the side and grabs the opponent's weapon or hits them and then stabs them is cheating if you bash your shield into another opponent in SCA its cheating these are things that can happen in combat to deny them is to deny these arts themselves what they are and what they do how human body mechanics work.
Tom King

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raman A wrote:
Foil and kendo have the rules in place to try to preserve some combat realism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_d...&t=317
^ this is not realistic. A real small sword can't be flailed around like a lightsaber, which is what happens when you make your "sword" weigh 6oz. The skills developed using a modern foil, epee, or saber cannot be successfully applied to a real saber, small sword, rapier, or even a 19th century dueling epee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRdeaQBKVUs
^ and if this is how a katana is supposed to be used... Either the japanese sword fighting system is seriously lacking or, imagine this, the "combat sport" is a combat sport foremost, and martial combat second; not meant or designed to teach how to actually fight with a katana.

Raman A wrote:
Your examples of SCA and kendo are antithetical. You state that SCA is unrealistic because any strike is considered a killing blow, but then say the same goes for kendo, which oppositely only considers specific strikes to locations that would immediately incapacitate the opponent as a kill.

The SCA considers each person to be wearing a typical 13th century knight kit of a nasal helmet, mail shirt, coif, chauses, etc. whereas kendo is meant to be be unarmored combat. It does not make sense for kendo to not consider certain incapacitating blows incapacitating in the same way it does not make sense for the SCA and other steel combat groups to consider a light tap to the forearm to be losing the arm at the shoulder. Both do.

Raman A wrote:

in every period the sword has existed, it has been an effective battlefield weapon. To claim only slaughter swords or 5ft long two handed swords are the "only" battlefield swords is a incredibly base assertion. A 12th century man at arms carried a sword capable of killing the average enemy he would face. Similarly a 15th century infantryman wouldn't have a XVIII on his hip for "fashion" or "dueling". And the 16th century pikeman with his baselard or katzbalger had a weapon tailored for the lightly armored opponents he'd be facing in the press. All are "battlefield" weapons; what is not a weapon is a 21st century electronic fencing foil, saber, or epee.

Philip Dyer wrote:
that's horseshit, there many things sporterized about the SCA but I know from my own and experience of every single person I've meet that it is not true.

So the propensity of shields that go from knee to eye paired with a single handed weapon in the SCA and it's derivative groups has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that said shield can take an unlimited number of blows while the suit of plate armor you're wearing can only take a big fat zero? Sure a competent person with a longsword can get around the shield, usually to the shagrin of the person reliant on static defense, but it isn't as sure of a thing as a big shield and a repertoire full of "viking" wrap cuts.
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
Raman A wrote:
Foil and kendo have the rules in place to try to preserve some combat realism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_d...&t=317
^ this is not realistic. A real small sword can't be flailed around like a lightsaber, which is what happens when you make your "sword" weigh 6oz. The skills developed using a modern foil, epee, or saber cannot be successfully applied to a real saber, small sword, rapier, or even a 19th century dueling epee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRdeaQBKVUs
^ and if this is how a katana is supposed to be used... Either the japanese sword fighting system is seriously lacking or, imagine this, the "combat sport" is a combat sport foremost, and martial combat second; not meant or designed to teach how to actually fight with a katana.

Raman A wrote:
Your examples of SCA and kendo are antithetical. You state that SCA is unrealistic because any strike is considered a killing blow, but then say the same goes for kendo, which oppositely only considers specific strikes to locations that would immediately incapacitate the opponent as a kill.

The SCA considers each person to be wearing a typical 13th century knight kit of a nasal helmet, mail shirt, coif, chauses, etc. whereas kendo is meant to be be unarmored combat. It does not make sense for kendo to not consider certain incapacitating blows incapacitating in the same way it does not make sense for the SCA and other steel combat groups to consider a light tap to the forearm to be losing the arm at the shoulder. Both do.

Raman A wrote:

in every period the sword has existed, it has been an effective battlefield weapon. To claim only slaughter swords or 5ft long two handed swords are the "only" battlefield swords is a incredibly base assertion. A 12th century man at arms carried a sword capable of killing the average enemy he would face. Similarly a 15th century infantryman wouldn't have a XVIII on his hip for "fashion" or "dueling". And the 16th century pikeman with his baselard or katzbalger had a weapon tailored for the lightly armored opponents he'd be facing in the press. All are "battlefield" weapons; what is not a weapon is a 21st century electronic fencing foil, saber, or epee.

Philip Dyer wrote:
that's horseshit, there many things sporterized about the SCA but I know from my own and experience of every single person I've meet that it is not true.

So the propensity of shields that go from knee to eye paired with a single handed weapon in the SCA and it's derivative groups has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that said shield can take an unlimited number of blows while the suit of plate armor you're wearing can only take a big fat zero? Sure a competent person with a longsword can get around the shield, usually to the shagrin of the person reliant on static defense, but it isn't as sure of a thing as a big shield and a repertoire full of "viking" wrap cuts.
I wasn't addressing that, I even said that you there many things wrong, the lack of shield damage being one of them and banning of lower leg cuts the other. I was just addressing that the validility that I got from reading that post that any sucessful blow, no matter the location, would be considered a killing blow. From what I've experience, most people won't call defeat unless you hit either on the torso, neck or skull. IMHO, if we were following our armour standards to the key, Shields would be breakable by two handed mass weapons such as halberd, Dane etc, could at a full force hit, because at from what I've seen tested, these are the only hand weapons that can break one. Lower legs shoys would be considered a kill because from I've read, causses weren't widespread at the battle of hasting so a good hack there would cause massive bleed out and there would take much less force to kill someone hitting the side off the head than the top of the head because because a norman nasal doesn't protect that area. Only weapons such as maces , axes, and hammers would single hit effect on the presumed haubrek we are wearing since that is something all mail analysis's can agree on, that mail is a poor blunt trauma proctector.
Tom King

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Dyer wrote:
Lower legs shots would be considered a kill because from I've read, causses weren't widespread at the battle of hasting so a good hack there would cause massive bleed out

Same thing at the battle of Visby in 1361; the gotland militia was utilizing older armor and tactics (namely a lack of limb defenses and the use of shields) and part of the reason for their heavy losses was getting their legs chopped out from under them by professional, fully armored Danish and german infantry.

Personally I find the lack of calf shots to be admissible from a cost point of view; properly fitting greaves or schynbalds would cost more money than the average SCA members entire kit. Many combat groups, including BOTN do the same thing in the name of "safety" and to keep the sport accessible to the average person. But because of this, a stubborn SCA member with a big shield and an understanding of how far he can squeeze the rules can game the sportified system to his advantage, favoring non historical tactics, weapons, etc. that better suit the sportified system but leave the person with an improper view of true combat if approached purely from the same perspective.

And certain kingdoms of the SCA having two guys walk up and hit each other in the back repeatedly with "viking" wrap cuts til one man gets too tired to continue swinging his 1/2 pound sword hominid is still not an example of a "historical" combat system.
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jul, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What is "real combat"? Is it battle? Duelling? Tournaments? Self-defence? All of these have varying levels of risk and different conventions throughout centuries. My point of view is that real combat is defined by the intent of causing permanent harm (up to death) to the opponent. Alternatively, it could be defined by the risk of permanent harm taken by the fighters, which is not necessarily the same: one is intentional, the other is accidental. The level of social conventions that constrain the encounter does not define how real the fight is, for me. If for whatever reason the fighters have to jump on one foot and use a spoon, as long as they are fighting for their lives the combat is definitely real.

In that sense, I can't think of any (sharp) sword form that has not been designed and used for real combat. As a tool, the function of any sword is to inflict grievous injury, all sword forms are capable of it, and all sword forms have been used to do it.

Discussing which modern sport is more real than others is quite pointless in my opinion; as long as you're not risking limb and life (which you shouldn't) you're doing a sport and it is a distorted representation of the "real combat" it seeks to emulate. Sports have rules, and indeed the rules of sport fencing and kendo originated from the need to maintain some measure of tactical appropriateness (within the views of each system, of course) when the harmful intent is gone. But all rules can be gamed, and no sport is immune to that. The intent of the practitioner is the determining factor; you can practice any sport with a martial mindset, as a form of artificial training exercise, as it has been originally designed. You'll never reach top level in the sport doing that, but you'll learn plenty of useful things.

Now, if your definition of "real combat" is battle, then it's true that medieval swords are probably more designed for real combat than XVIIth century thrusting rapiers and later smallswords. That's entirely because hand-to-hand combat with swords was far less common on the later battlefields. On the other hand, sabers up to the XIXth century were certainly designed for battle, and I can't really see how these would be less "real" than longswords. One-handed swords in general were in use long before and long after the longswords, so you could argue that the longsword is more specific to a given context than a generic one-handed double-edged blade.

Where that whole argument about battlefield etc. gets ironic is that the majority of people studying longsword now are using texts that are predominantly about duelling, and practice unarmoured which is not something you'd do on a battlefield either Happy

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jul, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The OP's question

Edward Lee wrote:
I'll rephrase it, what I was told by the other practitioner of longsword was that all European martial arts after the 15th century were considered as competition and sports, I did not agree with him but also I am uncertain. From what Mr.Grinly said, rapier and small swords were effective kill tools designed if used correctly. My question is if that longsword practitioner was right about the rapiers and small sword being competition and sports only.

has, I believe, been answered in the above replies. Rapier and small sword were used in combat after the 15th century in which combatants died.

An interesting conversation regarding the realism of past and current sword sports has sprung up. Vincent took the words out of my mouth.

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
Discussing which modern sport is more real than others is quite pointless in my opinion; as long as you're not risking limb and life (which you shouldn't) you're doing a sport and it is a distorted representation of the "real combat" it seeks to emulate. Sports have rules, and indeed the rules of sport fencing and kendo originated from the need to maintain some measure of tactical appropriateness (within the views of each system, of course) when the harmful intent is gone. But all rules can be gamed, and no sport is immune to that.

One of the sports (full contact sword games) mentioned was SCA rattan combat. This system was invented in the 1970's and has been modified, codified, leveraged and gamed ever since. It has little connection with real sword and shield combat or longsword combat, and I have enjoyed the heck out of it since the late 80's. I can wack my opponents with the best of them, but I would be in sorry shape one on one against a WMA practitioner, and wet my pants if transported back to the battle Crecy.

I think the most realistic aspect of SCA combat is the mass field battles when 200 guys (and gals!) face off, then join in combat. Leaders are shouting orders which are difficult to hear and are sometimes ignored, buddies to the left and right are dropping, and, once joined, the lines turn, break & reform. This "fog of battle" is, in my opinion, the best part of the SCA sword combat sport. More than once I've wacked a buddy that I've trained with for years and knew his heraldry by heart (friendly fire indeed). More than once I've seen an opponent join our line just in time to figure out he's not long for this world. The "fog of battle" is hard to recreate, but I believe the SCA does a good job in this aspect.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Robert B. Marks

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Treichel wrote:
I would have to disagree with that statement on the start of sport fencing... it goes back much farther... and duels that were to the touch also were frequently fatal.

There is plently of evidence of fencing at festivals with wooden or leather swords going back much farther than the 18th or 19th century...

Also the foil very similar to today's sport fencing foil was used as a training tool back to that time as well and fencing competitions with blunt weapons were held not in relation to dueling. Evidence for this is in many fencing treaties from the 17th and 18th century where the master discusses his choice of weapons to include why or why not to study with dueling weapons (floret vs epee) (rapier vs degen) and why fencing is great exercise.

That still leaves the problem of fencing without intent... which is why in sport fencing and HEMA you frequently see ridiculous attacks without defense.

Well, I was intending to provide a snapshot of each period - I had not meant to suggest that sport fencing only went back to the 19th century, or that duels to the touch could not have had fatal accidents. Mea culpa if I did provide an inaccurate impression.

And, when it comes to fencing without intent, you are absolutely correct. We try to simulate intent in our group, but the fact of the matter is that we don't intend to hurt each other, and I (and my wife, who has certain reservations about me getting hurt) am very grateful for that. That said, we do have some artificial things that have appeared, and I'm not sure what can be done about them. When we spar with the Italian groups, we need to worry about after-blows. In real life, if you hit somebody in the head with the business end of a sword, the fight is done. But, we're not doing real-life fencing, and there's that opportunity to try to get one last strike in.

Robert Marks
Darksword Armory, Inc.
www.darksword-armory.com
Guy Bayes

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

" In real life, if you hit somebody in the head with the business end of a sword, the fight is done. "

Probably less true then you would think. Pumped up on adrenaline, unless you are doing major brain trauma, you still need to avoid potential return blows, often time speople don't figure out they are dead for a surprisingly long period

my teacher once paraphrased from one the rapier texts something along the lines of "stick your rapier through his eye and then disengage carefully avoiding his return stroke"
Robert B. Marks

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jul, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guy Bayes wrote:
" In real life, if you hit somebody in the head with the business end of a sword, the fight is done. "

Probably less true then you would think. Pumped up on adrenaline, unless you are doing major brain trauma, you still need to avoid potential return blows, often times people don't figure out they are dead for a surprisingly long period

my teacher once paraphrased from one the rapier texts something along the lines of "stick your rapier through his eye and then disengage carefully avoiding his return stroke"

That may be true, but I do think it is worth pointing out that there is a considerable difference between sticking somebody with a rapier and knocking the top half of their head off with a longsword...

Robert Marks
Darksword Armory, Inc.
www.darksword-armory.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Real combat?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: