Custom sword from Robert Moc
I contacted Robert Moc about making a late period viking sword for me. We went back and forth a while over what to make and he mentioned that he had been wanting to learn to do niello inlay over silver plating. I love some of the viking swords with niello so jumped at the opportunity to have him make one! We looked at a lot of examples but in the end I had him make an original design. Here's what he came up with. I don't have it yet, but when I do I'll take some "in hand" shots and give dimensions. Needless to say, I'm very pleased. I included a few "in progress" shots because I think it's cool to see how swords are made...
Here's a link to his website with more photos of the sword and scabbard:
http://www.robert-moc.sk/pages/gallery/vikins...position=2

Attachment: 35.62 KB
image495.jpg

Attachment: 51.71 KB
undefined (4).jpg

Attachment: 126.84 KB
undefined (11).jpg

Attachment: 108.31 KB
undefined 2.jpg

I'm not a Viking sword guy, but I have to say that you have a beautiful sword there.. We need specs and more photos.

Great looking scabbard too.
Wow Tim, another beautiful one for you! Where do you go from here?
viking sword
Truly Amazing Viking Sword Tim , love the motifs on the hilt and pummel
Congrats Good Sir !!!!!!!
J.D. Crawford wrote:
Wow Tim, another beautiful one for you! Where do you go from here?

JD- Good question...I have a few projects underway for some other viking stuff but after that...?
I usually don't go for all metal hilts for this period, but I have to say, that's very eye catching. Very nice.
We've been corresponding about this sword for awhile, so you know how I feel. That said, seeing it completely together, it's even cooler than I envisioned it! Very cool! And the scabbard is super nice too...
Fantastic work!
Congratulations to both you Tim and to Robert!
Very happy to see such dedication from both customer and maker.
All metal niello hilts are fairly new to me. This is clearly an exceptional work all the way around. Looking forward to Peter's comments once he has it in hand.

It's particularly nice to see such a lovely scabbard where decorative restraint is applied. The sword is complimented and not overwhelmed. Very thoughtful.

[ Linked Image ]

Jon
I'm sorry, Mr. Lison, I'm going to have to report you to the Forumite Federation For
The Possession Of An Exceedingly Extra-Ordinary Number Of Custom Swords,
please turn in your locker key until the investigation has concluded ...

Oh, and we'll have to give your parking space to someone else for the time-being.

B-)
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:

Oh, and we'll have to give your parking space to someone else for the time-being.

B-)

This is an outrage! Not my parking space!
Glad you like it...
Tim Lison wrote:
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:

B-)

This is an outrage! Not my parking space!
Glad you like it...

actually id like to ask more about the contruction of that grip and hilt, how was it made, and what is the thickness of the metal, i find it somewhat interesting since its quite rare compared to normal wood and leather grips
Hilt construction
The web page says :
"All iron hilt is hollow and decorated with silver plating and niello in Urnes style animal motives".
It wasn't rare at all towards the end of the Viking Age to have all metal hilts. The metal is quite thin, but still strong enough not to worry about damaging it. The progress photos that Robert sent me while making it give a rough idea about it's construction. It's a hell of a sword!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: