Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Del Tin warranty Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Del Tin warranty         Reply with quote

hey guys,

well, it's coming down to it again, I've got an itch for a new sword, something I've been looking into for a while. I'm looking at at Del Tin 2162, a big two handed sword offered by KoA. I'm dicing out and researching some details before i jump into a purchase, and hopefully jump on it before its price goes up and out of my range.

something i wasn't able to find on Del Tin's official site was any kind of warranty - i either didn't look close enough to find one, or it wasn't listed. does anyone know of any warranty that comes with their products?
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From deltin.it italian part website

Le nostre imitazioni di spade e daghe antiche sono prodotte per uso decorativo e hanno lame prive di taglio e senza punta (lo spessore nel filo è di circa 1 mm).

E' anche diffuso l’impiego di questi oggetti nell’arte della scherma antica da parte di numerosi gruppi di ricostruzione storica sia in Italia che all’estero. Decliniamo ogni responsabilità per eventuali danni a cose e persone causati dall’utilizzo nella scherma delle nostre spade e daghe. In ogni caso devono essere sempre maneggiate con molta attenzione e in massima sicurezza.

Basically it says that the firm declines every responsibility for historical sparring use of their swords. They are sold only as decorative items and have no sharp edge or acute point in order to comply with italian law.

It must be noted however that this is the italian guarantee. Maybe american resellers have different agreements with Deltin's owners.
Steven Lussenburg

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darkwood Armory used to use Del Tin blades for their rapiers before thye started to make their own. And those were usable for sparring as far as I've read. KoA also has some other Renaissance Del Tin blades it claims are battle ready. No clue for their other blades than rapiers, though.
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:

Basically it says that the firm declines every responsibility for historical sparring use of their swords. They are sold only as decorative items and have no sharp edge or acute point in order to comply with italian law.

seems like a bummer to me - although the alloy used in production pieces would say otherwise. i suspected that their products were spring steel alloys but found out their a chrome vanadium alloy.

research on the net shows that chrome vanadium alloy is a touch tougher and springier than just our usual more known and respected spring steel. i believe the alloy has a touch of whats known as nickle-chromium (an additive to stainless steel for corrosion resistance) vanadium - that's a little unknown to me.

i know its unlikely i will break the sword as it may just hang around for a while until i could find a spot to swing it around without neighbors going nuts - as its true purpose is to learn more about two handed swords.

anyone else by chance know the trade offs of chrome vanadium vs carbon steels?
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Daniel Wallace"]
Bruno Giordan wrote:
anyone else by chance know the trade offs of chrome vanadium vs carbon steels?

If you search this site for 'Del Tin' and/or 'Chrome Vanadium' a few threads like this will turn up: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...e+vanadium
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
i suspected that their products were spring steel alloys but found out their a chrome vanadium alloy.

6150 is a spring and tool making alloy.

If you look a bit further, you might note 6150 is the same steel used by Arms&Armor and Albion. Then look closely at steel numbers and how close that is to 5160. What does that really mean? Some read the word chromium and immediately determine the worst possible scenario..

5160 (low chromium): 0.6% C, 0.8% Mn, 0.8% Cr

6150: 0.5% C, 0.8% Mn, 0.9% Cr, 0.18% V

So, what you are reading about bad regarding Del Tin steel is one tenth of one percent difference in a low chromium steel alloy with 6150 getting a smidge of vanadium (oh my, horrors Happy ) Vanadium (iirc) is for grain refinement. Both are tough steels when properly heat treated and apparently ok to use for the big bucks swords.

Cheers

GC
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for the topic J.D. the discussion there helps me out with other questions and concerns i see when browsing around the net about Del Tin. part of the things i see from Del tin's reviews are minor flaws which in my shop can easily be fixed, in fact i don't doubt that one day if i pick up this sword i may cut the stamped fullers into functional ones and if i decide to make a sharp out of it, i have all the necessary tools to do so. although it would be tricky with a sword of this size.

and Glen, thanks for the information, i did a direct search for chrome vanadium over the net after posting this topic. mostly what comes up is tool reviews. i don't see a huge travesty over using it vs 5160, i just wasn't aware of the alloy nor it's properties.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Del Tin warranty
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic