Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pourpoint of Charles VI of France: new publication Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tasha Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Pourpoint of Charles VI of France: new publication         Reply with quote

Greetings,

In July 2011 I was given access to the child-sized coat on display in the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Chartres, France. I measured it and took copious notes. The curator took several photos at my direction. When I came home, I wrote a paper detailing the garment's tailoring and construction. The journal Waffen- und Kostümkunde accepted it for publication and it is now finally available to the public.

The article is 28 pages long, contains color photos never before seen, as well as measurements, diagrams, and a whole lot of detail that perhaps only the most obsessed of us will enjoy. Wink I believe this work will advance our understanding of the techniques used to create padded, quilted garments in 14th century France. And yes, I believe this garment was worn with armour. Tiny, child-sized armour. Happy

If you are interested in purchasing a copy of the journal, here is the only way that I (so far) know how:

Send email to: info@lhdruck.de, which is the email for contacting the publisher/distributor. (It may be written in English.)

Request the 2/2013 edition of Waffen- und Kostümkunde.

Provide your credit card number, expiration date, the security code (the three digit code on the back of your card), and the name as it appears on the card. If you are concerned about sending such sensitive information through email, you can always split the information up over a series of emails. Beyond that, I believe you will have to trust the integrity of the publisher/distributor.

That said, I have also sent an email myself, asking about any other ways to order, though I don’t believe Germany accepts international money orders. Options begin to get complicated after that. I await a response and will post here with anything more that I learn.

The cost is €17.80 per copy, with €4.20 for shipping one copy. I don’t know how much shipping will be if you order more than one at a time, but a helpful person named Silke Rüger will likely be who sees your email and she speaks/writes English. She can answer such questions.

When they charge your card, the cost will be automatically converted to your home currency. Right now the conversion rate makes the journal cost approximately $23.07 a copy in American dollars, and shipping is $5.44. Fortunately, the American dollar appears to be stronger than it has been the last few years against the Euro ($1.30 per one Euro).

I'm waiting for my own copies in the mail. They should be here shortly. Very exciting!

La cotte simple - Late medieval fashion redressed
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pourpoint of Charles VI of France: new publication         Reply with quote

Tasha Kelly wrote:
... The article is 28 pages long, contains color photos never before seen, as well as measurements, diagrams, and a whole lot of detail that perhaps only the most obsessed of us will enjoy. Wink ...

I think you'll find many of that ilk here (raises hand with guilty smile) Wink

Congratulations, what an honor and privilege it must have been to have that level of intimate access to the piece!

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have checked your website, and the articles and tutorials are wonderful! congrats!
Tasha Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you both!

Yes, it was a dream come true. I was there with two assistants, Greta Nappa (my best friend) and Mathieu Harlaut, who is one of the principals of the Company of Saynte George in Europe. He helped me communicate with our French-speaking hosts. My French is far from fluent, alas.

We all kept looking at each other in dazed amazement. There may have been giddiness too, but we tried to contain that for when the curator wasn't watching. Laughing Out Loud

Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tasha, as my German is likely worse than your French, is the paper published in English or German? If German, any chance for a translation?
Tasha Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I should have made that clear -- it's published in English! The journal publishes in both languages, and supplies a summary of each article in the opposite language at the end.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pourpoint of Charles VI of France: new publication
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic