Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Body armor types...? Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't get hold of the actual quote at the moment (i'm at work) but I do vaguely remember a Roman (or was it Greek?) historian describing the Parthian cataphract as being clad from head to foot in iron. This may have been poetic license of course, but it does imply that a cataphract's armour was noticeably heavier than Roman armour.
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like quilting to me.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
I can't get hold of the actual quote at the moment (i'm at work) but I do vaguely remember a Roman (or was it Greek?) historian describing the Parthian cataphract as being clad from head to foot in iron. This may have been poetic license of course, but it does imply that a cataphract's armour was noticeably heavier than Roman armour.

Don't confuse the cataphract and the clibanarius. They were not the same unit. Being covered head to foot in metal probably refers to the cataphract scale armour.
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Hisham Gaballa wrote:

Don't confuse the cataphract and the clibanarius. They were not the same unit. Being covered head to foot in metal probably refers to the cataphract scale armour.

I have to admit I was under the impression that there wasn't a whole lot of difference, what is the difference between them? Happy
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The cataphractus was a general term used by the Romans to describe just about any sort of heavy cavalry, regardless of what armour they are wearing. The clibanarius seems to have been a more specific term referring only to the type of armour we see on the graffito. So a clibanarius is a type of cataphractus but a cataphractus may not neccessarily be a clibanarius.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This thread has proven fun and informational™, so I'll try to revive it with another interesting kind of armour;
The Dendra Panoply;

It is the only one found, and is dated to the 15th c. BC. The helmet is made from boar tusks.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, that one's been on my wish list for a long time! I just need more bronze sheet... It is the only complete one found so far, but bits and pieces of others have turned up in several places. It also looks a lot like the Linear B ideogram for "armor".

Boar tusk helmets can't be beat, either, and I DO have one of those!

http://www.larp.com/hoplite/BAarmor.html

So, what do you want to discuss about these lovelies?

Matthew
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Dendra panoply is certainly important, the oldest surving bronze "plate" armour. As for boars tusks helmets, well I don't think they were used anywhere else other than Mycenaean Greece! Big Grin

I suppose technically boars tusks helmets might be considered a form of lamellar. I can't quite remember what the criteria for lamellar were (maybe someone at some point will have to summarise the main points of this thread), but was one of them them that lamellae are attached at the top and bottom? Unlike scales which are only attached at the top. Mind you I think another criterion was that they must overlap, which the boars tusks don't.

I'm very impressed that someone has actually reconstructed one. It should have been used in Wolfgang Petersen's "Troy". But then again historical accuracy was fairly low on their list of priorities when they made that film.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
It is the only one found, and is dated to the 15th c. BC. The helmet is made from boar tusks.

It isn't the only one found. It is the only "complete" one found. There have been several partial finds of the same type of armour. As Matt said, there is also an ideogram in the Linear B tablets that resembles this armour. And there is a possible reference to it in the Iliad. Homer describes it as "solid and built with curving plates of metal, which in days past Phyleus had taken home from Ephyra and the river Selleëis." [15.529-31] This is the only possible reference though. All other bronze armour in the Iliad seem to be the later bell-shaped cuirasses.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
The Dendra panoply is certainly important, the oldest surving bronze "plate" armour. As for boars tusks helmets, well I don't think they were used anywhere else other than Mycenaean Greece! Big Grin

I suppose technically boars tusks helmets might be considered a form of lamellar. I can't quite remember what the criteria for lamellar were (maybe someone at some point will have to summarise the main points of this thread), but was one of them them that lamellae are attached at the top and bottom? Unlike scales which are only attached at the top. Mind you I think another criterion was that they must overlap, which the boars tusks don't.

Overlap isn't useful since the plates in virtually every example of scale and lamellar overlap. I would classify the boar's tusk helm as a type of scale armour. For it to be defined as lamellar, the tusks would need to be assembled in such a manner that the leather foundation wasn't necessary.
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jul, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lamellar is defined by the pieces being so connected that there is no need for a backing material to hold the armour together. The lames are tied to each other, whereas is scale the pieces are fastened to the backing. There are a few cases where the scales may interlock (I think), but not be actually connected. In late medieval times, a brigandine or coat of plates would be most like scale armour, but applying that term seems a bit odd.

I am doubtful about what to call armour where the pieces do not overlap, but are fastened to a backing. This applies to the boar's tooth helmet, and to this piece below from Slovenia.

Attachment: 48.43 KB
shrunk11_04.jpg

Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One possible definition is simply "reinforced leather". Leather armour reinforced with organic or metal "plates." The medieval "armoured surcoat" would be another example of reinforced armour.
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
One possible definition is simply "reinforced leather". Leather armour reinforced with organic or metal "plates." The medieval "armoured surcoat" would be another example of reinforced armour.

Reinforced leather reminds me a bit of the "studded leather armour" so beloved of fantasy role playing games. Big Grin

Nice helmet Felix.

Dan, I'm not really sure the term "reinforced leather" does it justice. There is so much bronze plating on it, you can barely see the leather. It is actually not too dissimilar to another helmet in the albums, this one:
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/displayimage....amp;pos=44 except that this helmet probably is a form of scale.

I simply wouldn't know what to classify it as. Peter Connolly in his "Greece and Rome At War" simply calls it "a helmet of discs and studs over a wicker frame".

Last edited by Hisham Gaballa on Tue 05 Jul, 2005 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wouldn't the difference between Scale armour and Lammelar be that one is made of scales, while the other is made of lammelae?

lammelae beeing latin for small plate.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Di...a=lamellae

While the boars tooth helmet, for instance, is clearly not made of scale. It could however be argued to be made of small plates, but personaly I would not classify it as lamelar, as that would be stretching the term.

By nature, scale scale armour is most easily constructed on a backing garment. This does not mean that all metal plates stuck on a backing garment becomes scales.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those disc-and-stud helmets were pretty popular in Italy, too, in the pre-Roman period. And the metal parts wouldn't be too hard to make, either! The term "composite" might be a good description, though it seems like a cop-out.

The boar tusks on my helmet do overlap, and Connolly overlaps them in his reconstructions, too. The bits you see in museums might or might not, but they use as much guesswork as anyone else. The archeological remains are generally just a pile of half-decayed pieces. But some of the depictions do seem to show overlapping tusks. It actually never occurred to me to think of this as either scale or lamellar! I think I'll just go on calling a "boar tusk helmet"--another cop-out!

Khairete,

Matthew
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
Those disc-and-stud helmets were pretty popular in Italy, too, in the pre-Roman period. And the metal parts wouldn't be too hard to make, either! The term "composite" might be a good description, though it seems like a cop-out.

The boar tusks on my helmet do overlap, and Connolly overlaps them in his reconstructions, too. The bits you see in museums might or might not, but they use as much guesswork as anyone else. The archeological remains are generally just a pile of half-decayed pieces. But some of the depictions do seem to show overlapping tusks. It actually never occurred to me to think of this as either scale or lamellar! I think I'll just go on calling a "boar tusk helmet"--another cop-out!

Khairete,

Matthew

Those names are as good as any. Boars tusk helmets are so unique to Homeric Greece, they can't have any other name really.

Trying to classify everything and anything is one of my bad habits. Big Grin

By the way Elling, I like your new avatar!

Edit: Matthew, since you are one of the few people in the last 3 millenia to have made and worn a boar's tusk helmet, how do you rate its defensive qualities as a piece of armour?
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
Wouldn't the difference between Scale armour and Lammelar be that one is made of scales, while the other is made of lammelae?

lammelae beeing latin for small plate.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Di...a=lamellae

While the boars tooth helmet, for instance, is clearly not made of scale. It could however be argued to be made of small plates, but personaly I would not classify it as lamelar, as that would be stretching the term.

By nature, scale scale armour is most easily constructed on a backing garment. This does not mean that all metal plates stuck on a backing garment becomes scales.

It does if modern scholars define scale armour as such, which is what has been done. If we use your definition we can get rid of the term "scale armour" entirely. Call everything with small metal plates "lamellar".
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This might be too obvious to be true: But if it looks like overlapping SCALES it's scale armour. Razz Laughing Out Loud
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:

It does if modern scholars define scale armour as such, which is what has been done. If we use your definition we can get rid of the term "scale armour" entirely. Call everything with small metal plates "lamellar".

Scolars have been known to change their mind. Until rescently the terms Scale and Chain Mail where perfectly Kosher even among scolars. It was changed, because it was a worng use of the term Mail (Probably influence from the latin use of Lorica, I would guess...)
Now, if it turns out that calling everything that is attatched to a backing garment Scale Armour is a wrong use of the term scale, there is no reason not to point out this, and propose a change of definition. This is the nature of academic discourse.

And, yes, by my proposed definition Scale armour can be clasified as a kind of lammelar, where the lammelae looks like scales. This would be more descriptive, and more true to the roots of the different words.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

This might be too obvious to be true: But if it looks like overlapping SCALES it's scale armour. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Correctemoundo.
Why shouldn't it be? We are describing reality, not abstract art.

Elling Polden

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:

By the way Elling, I like your new avatar!

Thanks. Should have put on the mail hood before the hauberk, though... Thirteent cent. warriors with hauberks generaly don't have visible aventails...
One lives and learns.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Body armor types...?
Page 4 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: