Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 2 New Daggers and Muster items from A&A Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 11 Jun, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: 2 New Daggers and Muster items from A&A         Reply with quote

Two New Daggers from Arms & Armor

We have two new daggers added to our line, check them out in the ARMS & ARMOR News. These knives are the #240 Morgan Bible Dagger and the #241 Köln Messer. Both hand made in our shop and great examples of medieval knives.

#240 Morgan Bible Dagger

#241 Köln Messer

We also have added three swords to the Muster page these are individual pieces so once they are sold they are gone. These are our #188 French Medieval Sword with a custom grip, a nice red gripped 15th C sword and a custom bladed Silvered Smallsword.

We hope you see the piece that will make your day!
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 11 Jun, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really like that #241...if I had money sitting about I think it would probably be mine! Gothic knightly sword looks like it could be a close cousin to a custom job I had done quite a few years back. I don't have that one anymore but if this one is anything like it in the hand, I'm sure its very sweet!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Craig,

Could you say a bit more about the Koln dagger and this type in general. I am pretty unfamiliar with such an early type of messer. Are there many historical examples of this style or is this an isolated example. How would you characterize this blade? How thick would you estimate the blade is at it's base and what is the taper like?

It's very nice and tempting BTW.
Jim B Williams

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You made my day with the Morgan dagger. That is exactly what I have been looking for in a 13th century dagger!
Carl W.

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like both of these new unusual daggers, & echo Jeremy in asking if any more tidbits of info on "messer-daggers" are available. Fwiw occurred that maybe it would be a good candidate for customization, perhaps a bit of filework or something on guard or pommel. Not too much though.

Is the blade asymmetrical or symmetrical? Edges look slightly different in pic.
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like the looks of the French sword. I honestly never really gave it a good look before, but that grip really caught my eye and now that I have really given it a proper look...I have to say I REALLY like this sword!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan Heff wrote:
I really like the looks of the French sword. I honestly never really gave it a good look before, but that grip really caught my eye and now that I have really given it a proper look...I have to say I REALLY like this sword!

I agree. Those photos really show that sword well and the new grip treatment really makes a difference. The shaping on the pommel and particularly the area that extends to the peen is very attractive.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: New Knife         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hi Craig,

Could you say a bit more about the Koln dagger and this type in general. I am pretty unfamiliar with such an early type of messer. Are there many historical examples of this style or is this an isolated example. How would you characterize this blade? How thick would you estimate the blade is at it's base and what is the taper like?

It's very nice and tempting BTW.

Hi Jeremy

Glad you like the items. The Köln piece is very robust. The back edge is about 1/4 inch thick at the guard and tapers from there but its not a full straight taper. It carries some mass into the blade. The cross section of the blade is triangular and all ends in a pretty decent point.

I would say this is similar to other Knightly type combat daggers like a Rondel the heft and structure lend themselves to the styles of combat illustrated in the manuals for that type.

Here are a couple of images of the original.

The grip on the dagger fills the hand quite well and the piece moves well in both the point up and point down position. I see this as a piece that may well have been a knightly weapon, but could also be worn on the belt with out the cumbersome aspect of the rondel on a daily basis.

Best
Craig

Attachment: 153.85 KB
KMess2.png

Attachment: 247.82 KB
Kgrip2.png

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jun, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig, the messer is very interesting, but maybe your pics and product description should be edited to better show the cross section of the blade as being single edged with a thick spine.

It's was hard to see in the pics if the blade was double edged with a diamond section, but just washed out in the pic or if it had an elliptical cross section. Singled edged and flat ground was also my best guess, but the pics should avoid ambiguity.

Good to see a less known type of dagger rarely reproduced.

The treatment of the French Medieval Sword's handle makes it a lot more appealing.

Hope to see more new items in your product line.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jun, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, my! They're all lovely, but that Köln messer in particular fascinates me, for some reason. I had already budgeted a portion of my next paycheck for a Pavel Moc blunt but now I'm having second thoughts, damn you! Mad
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jun, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The messer is a real turn-on. When I first saw it, I said to myself--Dang, that would look good on my belt along with my tomahawk and the rest of my black powder gear. Kind of a big, single edged 'Arkansas Toothpick'. I love it!.......McM
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Oh, my! They're all lovely, but that Köln messer in particular fascinates me, for some reason. I had already budgeted a portion of my next paycheck for a Pavel Moc blunt but now I'm having second thoughts, damn you! Mad

Yeah, I'm also thinking about it ...... and that usually leads to Paypal and a hit to my bank account !

Craig: Oh, what kind of hardwood do you use for the Kölm Messer ? Always the same one or do you very the type according to availability ?

I assume that for a semi-custom order of one of these the wood type could be different, but I am curious about what you used on the one in the pic: Hardwood, just peaks my curiosity ..... Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

Any available for immediate shipping ?

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Hi Jean         Reply with quote

Hi Jean

The currrent plan is to use walnut. The one I have in stock and pictured is walnut that has a buffed finish. We could certainly use other woods if requested. There maybe an additional fee in such orders.

I will post some addional pics this morning showing the dagger in hand for scale and the back edge as you pointed out I should have detailed Happy

Best
Craig
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: More pictures         Reply with quote

Here are some more shots of the Köln. You can get a sense of the scale when its in the hand and see the back edge spine.

Let me know if any one has any questions.

Attachment: 50.28 KB
KolnBckedg.jpg
Back edge

Attachment: 105.94 KB
kolninhand.jpg
Messer in hand.

Attachment: 28.76 KB
Kolnolbt.jpg
Better shot of overall
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: More pictures         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Here are some more shots of the Köln. You cab get a sense of the scale when its in the hand and see the back edge spine.

Let me know if any one has any questions.

E-mail sent: The new pics did me in. Wink Big Grin Cool

Yes it doesn look really good in the new pics.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I guess the Köln messer/dagger people have been admiring is now mine mine mine. Wink Big Grin Cool

E-mailed Craig and he e-mailed me back, a couple of hours later, to confirm that I got to it first. Cool

I guess when I get it I can add a few more pics of it and a short review. Wink Big Grin

Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well, I guess the Köln messer/dagger people have been admiring is now mine mine mine. Wink Big Grin Cool

E-mailed Craig and he e-mailed me back, a couple of hours later, to confirm that I got to it first. Cool

I guess when I get it I can add a few more pics of it and a short review. Wink Big Grin

Congrats! I will tell you this....a "sword/dagger in hand" picture is worth more than a thousand words...

I love a good sword photo, but the one type I would like to see more of are "in hand" shots or somebody carrying the sword, they REALLY help in showing the dimensions etc.
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I mean this in a nice way (and I actually appreciate you buying that thing) but you suck!!! Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
P. Schontzler

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I mean this in a nice way (and I actually appreciate you buying that thing) but you suck!!! Big Grin

It looks confusing the way it was posted, but I believe the daggers are new items, not part of the only-one-available muster sale items. Though Jean is definitely getting the first by the sound of it! Congrats. Happy

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 2 New Daggers and Muster items from A&A
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic