Conjectural knot for tying a belt to a scabbard
Hello ,

I thought some here may enjoy seeing this.

Ever since making an integrally belted medieval scabbard I have wanted to see if it was possible to tye a belt in such a manner that would allow a sword to be hung with the same kind of rigid security, but not require any metal work. I am personally not sure if this is an already documented method of securing a scabbard, but I have found it to be quite secure. I think this method would be suitable for scabbards with no rigging at all, or work well with one or two slits cut into the front , which we see in late viking age scabbards from england. This method also would work well with earlier swords that have a " belt bridge". It can be adjusted so the straps perpendicular to the blade are tight together and hang the sword at a slight angle, or even spaced wider apart (3" or so)to carry the sword at a 45 degree angle.

The best part is that the belt can be removed easily, to allow the sword and scabbard to be displayed without the belt attatched.

I stumbled into a very similar knot a few years ago. It might be the exact same thing, or it might not....you have more "right side" facing up on the back side. I used it with risers on a falchion sheath. The risers keep the belt in place really well, especially when there's load on the belt. As you say, its very simple to remove the belt.

Attachment: 178.41 KB
IMG_2183-resized.JPG

Attachment: 185.16 KB
IMG_2184-resized.JPG

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: