Go to page 1, 2  Next

Skautrir, New Commission By Jeff Helmes
Hello fellow forumites. I'm one of the many who have lurked on this site, read the myriad posts and reviews, gleaned loads of useful and interesting information, but never really felt like I had anything to contribute.... Until now.

My interests in swords span centuries, from the Bronze Age up to the Renaissance. I've been collecting since 2003, and each sword I own has an attribute that speaks to me, from a kind of grim beauty, symmetry, proportion, or understated elegance. But, of all the eras that swords were used, I'm partial to the Viking era.

I've never commissioned a sword before; I've wanted to, but life always intervened. But this year I got lucky, so after lurking some more on this site, I saw some creations of Jeff Helmes and knew that I had to have one of his pieces. I wasn't sure at first exactly what sword I'd want him to make, but I was impressed by his quality. After several pleasant correspondences with him, we both decided on a Ringerike style that would be, in his words, "Historically plausible, but flirting with the realm of myth". Jeff has been terrific, bouncing ideas off of me and guiding me towards what will be my ultimate sword. I've given him full creative license for this commission, and it’s really paid off. In coming up with a name for the sword, Jeff wrote, “I have named it Skautrir, which is as near as I can get to "border dweller". I named it that because it represents a number of thresholds for me and primarily it represents the fine line it stands in between a historical replica and a mythological fantasy sword”.

The blade is composed of a combination of steels – 430 layers – to achieve a bright, lively pattern. According to Jeff, it’s 31 inches long, 54 mm wide at the tang, and weighs 2 lb, 12 oz. which should make it a fearsome chopper (but I wouldn’t dream of swinging it at something and possibly marring the blade). The pommel and guard inlays are of silver and the grip is carved reindeer antler. Jeff is in the process of creating a scabbard, and I can’t wait to see what he comes up with!

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Attachment: 208.3 KB
P5230209.JPG

Attachment: 220.04 KB
P5230208.JPG

Attachment: 118.82 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 186.98 KB
The original [ Download ]

Attachment: 216.45 KB
[ Download ]
Absolutely stunning work. I am very envious of your commission and hope to one day get a custom blade made of great quality like this!
A first commission? You certainly weren't shy, a bold choice to say the least. I too am eager to see the scabbard.
Fantastic, Eric, Jeff.

Thanks for showing this.

Jon

[ Linked Image ]
Very nice! The whole thing is great, but I am especially envious of how the hilt turned out. Magnificent! Jeff is great to work with too.
Skautrir
Thanks, guys, I'll post more pictures as I get them from Jeff. I need to mention a couple of minor corrections: The style of the original was thought to be Ringerike, but Jeff spoke to Dr. Geibig, who thought that the hilt was more from a 10th century context. The grip carvings are slightly modified Jelling motifs.
Hello Guys! Thank you for the compliments! This is a really great project to be working on.

I often find myself sort of tongue tied when faced with describing my work, so I tend to shy away from making statements about what I do. With that said though, I will be happy to answer questions that anyone may have.

Jeff

Last edited by J Helmes on Sun 02 Jun, 2013 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skautrir
Forgot to mention that the photo of the original is by Niels Provos. Many thanks for allowing its use!
Positively fantastic piece of work.

The hilt's color really works wonders to bring out that silver inlay. Very sort of chiaroscuro effect, beautiful!
J Helmes wrote:

I often find myself sort of tongue tied when faced with describing my work, so I tend to shy away from making statements about what I do. With that said though, I will be happy to answer questions that anyone may have.

Ahhh Jeff, since you're so modest, let us be immodest for you. Looking at a sword like this makes one think of the great works of art hanging in major museums; the Van Goghs, the Monets, the Rembrandts. One can only hope that one day your sort of Art gets the same kind of recognition. Once it would have - if you were alive 1200 years ago you would have been making swords for the great kings of the day. Thanks for making some of us feel like Kings for a day!
Re: Skautrir, New Commission By Jeff Helmes
Eric Sherwin wrote:
I've never commissioned a sword before

This is a heck of a way to start!!! Kudos! Great sword from a great smith. Nice to see Jeff flexing his muscles a bit with this one. I love the whole kit and can't wait to see the scabbard but the grip just has me mesmerized. Beautiful.
At the risk of making Jeff blush, I have to say that I haven't seen much before that would impress me more in aesthetic qualities of all parts of this sword and as a whole.

Carving, texture, folded steel etc etc etc ...... superlatives are hard to find to do it justice: This is at the highest levels of art as well as sword arts I can think of. :D :cool:
Congratulations on a very beautiful sword.
Great looking sword. I don't remember seeing the original before, but I like it a lot! Good choice.
Stunning work Jeff, stunning.
Amazing work all around, down to the tinniest detail. Love the carving of the handle too.

Hard not to think about Barta or Robert Moc when looking at such detailed and accomplished work, and this is saying much.

Jaw dropping really.

J
That has to be one of the most beautiful swords I have ever seen. Stunning design! You should be proud to own it.
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
At the risk of making Jeff blush, I have to say that I haven't seen much before that would impress me more in aesthetic qualities of all parts of this sword and as a whole.

Carving, texture, folded steel etc etc etc ...... superlatives are hard to find to do it justice: This is at the highest levels of art as well as sword arts I can think of. :D :cool:

I completely agree. It's the most beautiful sword I've seen.
Now that's an heirloom! I can see that sword being passed down through generations of Sherwins.
Roger Hooper wrote:
Now that's an heirloom! I can see that sword being passed down through generations of Sherwins.

You're right on the money, Roger, this one's never leaving the family.
Beautiful sword and perfect work.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: