Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Charles de Blois Pourpoint, a sewing projectDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Jon Makar

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Ian,

Huge fan first off! Your videos are most informative and well planned! My question is how much fabric for the shell and liner did you end up getting for your garment! I bought Tasha's book a while ago, and was planning on making a silken civilian pourpoint with button closures, and a linen military pourpoint with spiral lacing in the front (like yours). Tasha recommends the amount of yardage one should use for the shell and liner, but I didn't find very much information in the book about how much batting was used. She says that one layer is a full bed of batting and that more than one layer is a king size bed of batting, but you said that some areas of your pourpoint had up to four layers. You seem to be of a similar size and build to me - how much batting did it take to cover one layer of the whole garment, so that I am able to break down how much batting I need per layer? Also, how much total batting did you end up using? (i.e. how many "beds" of a given bed size did you end up using?)

Thanks,
Jon Makar
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jon! Thank you for the kind words. I'm fairly certain I used under one 'king sized bed' worth of batting on the 'mk 2' version of this garment but I'm honestly not certain. I've got so much batting lying around I did not really keep track of what went into the project and it's been too long for me to remember. It's only 4 layers in a few small spots, and overall I kept the padding relatively thin (2 layers) as it's largely unnecessary under a plate harness. I wish I could be more helpful, but I just don't remember.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Jon Makar

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No, thanks, this is a great help! I will be emailing Tasha as well soon about some other questions, so I can ask her too, but "under a king size" for 2 layers (and 4 layers in some spots) gives me a decent idea of how much batting I should buy! Where in the garment did you end up using more layers, by the way?

Based on what you just told me, I am thinking that I will use a king size for the martial pourpoint, like you did, so that it stays light and gives me mobility, and that I will use at least a king size, and maybe more for the civilian pourpoint, as I want it to be "over the top" poofy in the chest, as is seen in many of the illuminations. My martial one will be all onion yellow linen, and my civilian one will be made in silk and will look like the two fellows in the image below. The garments that they are wearing may be jupons, but I find that unlikely, and either way my heraldic colours are yellow and blue, and I enjoyed that the grand assiette sleeves were a different colour from the torso. I will also be trying embroidery for the first time to make stars on the sleeves, which is also happens to be part of my heraldry (I got lucky with finding the picture).

Attachment: 476.29 KB
[ Download ]
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jon, the only places I added a little extra padding was in the shoulders / collar bones for where straps run, and a little in the upper chest to give it more of the CdB silhouette.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Charles de Blois Pourpoint, a sewing projectDIY Project
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: