What and where?
Alright folks, any information on what time period this thing might have come from and where it might have come from?

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Wow, that's one of those crazy parrying daggers used for trapping blades. I've seen some with standard grips but never anything like that one. I wonder how unique this one is?
Uhh . . . overwrought parrying dagger from the Rocky Rococo period?

JSA
I´d say Germany, 19th century...

It does look a bit over the top, but that was a common thing in the replica market back then.

Can´t be 100% sure, though.

The ivory figure could well be original and the rest made to "fit".
Don't know off the top of my head (I'll stick with vague terms like "Renaissance" for now). Where did you find it? That might help us track down information on it, or things like it.

Bon chance,

-Grey
I'm voting 17th century design replicated in late 18th/early 19th century style. The hilt carving, in particular, looks to be the later Italian Renaissance revival styling of the late 18th century. The etching on the blade looks rough, but it's difficult to say if it's age or crudeness that's the cause.

Got any more close-ups of the pieces?
I lean towards a 19th C replica, too. The type was used in the early 1600's (I've handled a couple of originals), but the ivory (?) grip looks unsuitable for a parrying weapon.
Guessing 19th c. Italian as well. I have a late19c. Italian made ceremonial sword and the engraving styles look a bit similar.

Bill
could it be original but re-gripped?
A gentleman that I consider a friend posted it on another forum but I thought it might get more expert opinion here... some more pictures:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

So the consensus is that it's probably a 19th century reproduction?
Just for the record it isn't that other forum for those of you who were wondering... :)
Russ Ellis wrote:
Just for the record it isn't that other forum for those of you who were wondering... :)

Sigh, Russ. Come on. Let's not be so afraid of mentioning other forums. You're all welcome to mention other Web sites here. This site is about exchanging information, regardless of its source. It's a sad state of affairs when an organization is only interested in education when it originates from within. That type of paranoia and egocentric thinking is counter-productive to the learning process. We're not going to be like that here.

Sorry for the rant. Back on topic now. (I'm moderating myself now. Nobody is immune to moderation here..haha)
crying
:eek: :cry: *crying* he is touching the blade with his bare hands! Eh, but thats OK, its only a repop! :D

The handle is a nice bit of reminicent antiquity though. There should be more refference on the artistry of fantastic pieces like the origional this was modeled on!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: