Baldrics for a Viking and a Bastard
Howdy folks!

Having completed the reworking of my Deepeeka 'Triple Lobed Godfred' (http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=28060) I wanted to rig up a baldric for suspension. The suspension on my Bastard sword (which started life as a Windlass 'Sword of Roven') was looking a bit tired so I decided to redo it, as well.

The old baldric for the Windlass sword had originally been intended as a belt, that could double as a baldric. I pretty much reversed that; this is a baldric, but it can be worn as a belt, in a pinch. Previously, the leather was pulled in such a way that it tended to stretch the leather, which did no favors for the stamping, so I used rings on both scabbards to allow a bit of movement without bending the leather in a weird way. They both also have buckles on the foremost attachment to the scabbard, to allow for adjustment. Both are left fairly plain, which I felt suited the character of the swords.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Both scabbards are quite comfortable, though I have to say that the vertically-slung Viking sword is less cumbersome and in-the-way - naturally, that is not an ideal way to carry a longer sword. It is barely noticeable when walking, and the shorter blade makes it easy to hoist the scabbard up higher while still allowing for an easy draw.

For those who are wondering 'Why baldrics?' I must confess to not liking sword belts - as a general rule, I don't like belts doing much more than holding up my jeans! I find baldrics more convenient and at equally secure if you wear your belt over the baldric. Particularly with the bastard sword (which brings me to another note - it probably is technically a longsword, but given my height and build, I find it quite easy to wield one- or two-handed) I find the weight feels better on my shoulder.

Anyway, comments are quite welcome! Adding suspension to a scabbard, while (in this case) a relatively straightforward step, does give a very satisfying feeling of completion and well-roundedness to a project :D

Pete
Aw dude, these look fantastic. You already know I love the Viking, and the baldric fits it well. The bastard is a beauty as well. Great colour palette with the earthy brown and forest green.

I like the suspension for both, as well. And you're my second source stating the benefits of the vertical-hung Viking sword. Awesome :)
Thanks Peter :D The color scheme of the bastard was inspired by Tolkien's Rangers - I think it probably wound up a bit too vivid, but I'm pleased with it nonetheless! I might do a very light 'wash' of brown over the green to tone it down a little.

Re the Viking, I'd be surprised if I ever hung a sword that size horizontally/diagonally again - it simply works, and the fact that the scabbard stays in the same, out-of-the-way position once the sword is drawn is a big plus in my eyes!
One addition... the boy wanted in, so I made this for his wooden type H :D

[ Linked Image ]

He's a bit small to have the vertical suspension, so I went with the diagonal. Streaky finish in Fiebings Medium Brown (I usually use Fiebings but the green on the bastard sword was done with a water-based dye - real pain to get good coverage once you've been working it with your hands, in my experience) and it will be waxed when it dries. I wetformed it just a touch to get an indentation to match the fuller on the wooden 'blade'.

Pete
Wonderful work!

Is it difficult to draw the bastard? Is the sword/scabbard secure when moving about? I'm very curious as I am considering how to best wear my longsword (49"), if at all.
Thank you! Drawing the bastard is easy, but I'm 6'4" - my wife is 5'4" and cannot without a good deal of fussing. The overall length of mine is about 46" I think - I trimmed the tang a touch just due to personal preference. How secure it is really depends on how you wear it - if you just throw the baldric on over you, it will bounce around. If you put a belt over it, as is my preference, it's as secure as any I think. Walking around, I find it most comfortable to place the left hand on the grip anyway, which aids a lot in controlling the sword as you move. Given these factors plus the ability to adjust the length of the baldric, I find it to be pretty much as secure as I want it to be!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: