Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Guy Laking's definitive work Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We've discussed adding a list of important books as a reference guide. We all feel this would be a good resource to have. Unfortunately, we're all pretty busy trying to get current projects completed, so this is on the back burner.

If someone would like to tackle this project it would really help us out.

Anyone wishing to do so should contact Nathan.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam Lloyd wrote:
can you list Claude Blair's books that you'd suggest?

I just bought

Studies in European Arms and Armor: The C. Otto Von Kienbusch Collection in the Philadelphia Museum of Art ($19 at amazon.com)
and
European Armour, circa 1066 to circa 1700 ($16 at abebooks.com)

Alexi
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian W. Rainey wrote:

On that note;

I could put together a bibliography of cornerstone works, if you would like? Is there anything similar on the site right now?

I am not certain that this is really necessary. There are plenty of sites with extensive and solid books lists.

Brian Rainey just listed two sites, and I can give you more. The hard part is to come by some of the older, and non-english works, and especially the articles., and to know what to read and buy when you are searching for information on XYZ.

What is more useful, and infinitely harder is to have a book list with a review and commentary which gives the punch line for each book, explains how it relates to the whole body of medieval arms and armor research, and also explains possible shortcomings and strengths of the book.

This is impossible for a single person to accomplish. What I am hoping to see on this site (and hopefully I can contribute to the fruition of this goal) is arms and armor book and article reviews, just like the sword reviews we see and appreciate.

Alexi
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
What is more useful, and infinitely harder is to have a book list with a review and commentary which gives the punch line for each book, explains how it relates to the whole body of medieval arms and armor research, and also explains possible shortcomings and strengths of the book.

This is impossible for a single person to accomplish. What I am hoping to see on this site (and hopefully I can contribute to the fruition of this goal) is arms and armor book and article reviews, just like the sword reviews we see and appreciate.

Boom. And you just hit it on the head. Nailed it exactly.

This is why we don't have this on myArmoury.com at this time.

Bibliographies alone, while useful for their own purpose, have a limited value and are available, as you said, at many locations on the 'net already. Your description above is precisely what I'd like to see on the 'net, and hopefully here on this site at some point. My resources are thin at the moment, so I can't take this on right now but I'd certainly be able to facilitate a team that would be willing to tackle it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Alexi Goranov wrote:

Boom. And you just hit it on the head. Nailed it exactly.

This is why we don't have this on myArmoury.com at this time.

Bibliographies alone, while useful for their own purpose, have a limited value and are available, as you said, at many locations on the 'net already. Your description above is precisely what I'd like to see on the 'net, and hopefully here on this site at some point. My resources are thin at the moment, so I can't take this on right now but I'd certainly be able to facilitate a team that would be willing to tackle it.

I see no reason why this couldn't be accomplished within the forum. Sure, it would be nice to have all of the book reviews in their own little section so that all of the info is together, but for now, there is no reason that we can't share the information that we have by posting book reviews in a thread on the forum. Of course, such reviews would be the victims of personal bias, but I would still rather have a little input, rather than purchase {potentially} expensive books with only little knowledge about what I am getting. This has, in the past, lead me to purchase only books that I had read (either borrowed from a friend or from the library), but that method can also result in missing some very good references. I don't have many books with me at the moment, but I'll go ahead and start a review of Oakeshott's The Archeology of Weapons, and The Medieval Soldier by A.V.B. Norman, and post them when I get a chance. If some one else has those books and more time, feel free to steal my thunder. Big Grin

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Robert Mazza

PostPosted: Thu 09 Dec, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I remember this reprint of Laking's "European Armour and Arms Through Seven Centuries" being advertised as early as 1989. I think it is safe to say that it isn't going to happen. I bought the reprint from Ken Trotman, and although I was happy to have my own copy of Laking, I was sorely disappointed in the quality of the photos.

Cheers,
Rob
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 May, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just received a set of " A Record of European Armour and Arms Through Seven Centuries" today. The set finally came out and takes about four days to get to your door. The books are probably quite a bit smaller in size than the originals at 10" X 6.5" (that is just a guess, I've never seen an original print of Lakings work) and the photos do lack some detail, but for $150.00 I couldn't pass it up.

I've wanted to purchase a copy of these book for a while. Since the originals have been running about $2500.00 and the reprints from Ken Trotman originally sold for about $700, this has been the first opportunity for me to get my hands on these books. Although I can't fairly critique the books after reading the first few chapters, I am happy with the price I paid. And the hardcover editions seem like they would take some abuse. The one down side is that it didn't come with Cripps-day's sixth volume "The record of armour sales".

The books can be found if you use the search function in the myArmoury "Books" section. You will be directed to Amazon from there.

I would be curious to see if anybody else bought the books and what they thought of them...

http://www.myArmoury.com/books/item.php?ASIN=B000863THC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Guy Laking's definitive work
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: