Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Expectations and Communication Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 12 May, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
There does appear to be a resigned acceptance of projects running late in this community and that is not really what I was defending. If anything, that aspect of my rant was trying to highlight why it can happen, not defend it as such.

We should all strive to communicate well and deliver in a timely manner and I am not trying to be holier than thou, by any means. Most of my projects are on time, some run late, for the myriad reasons I outlined, but that does not mean that I should not strive to do better.

Timeliness is one aspect (of many) in running a business and in honesty it should really be expected that most projects are delivered on time, not that most are late. You should consider tolerating lateness because of the complex and involved nature of the work and perhaps because most of us tend to be craftsmen before businessmen, but that is different to placidly accepting lateness as the norm.

Tod

Still holding out for the Ferrari!

Bold text in quote above made bold by me.

Leo, my Eared Dagger you made for me actually arrived one month early. Big Grin Cool

I get your point that you are not excusing lateness, but reasonable lateness is rarely what frustrates in most cases it's the bad or lack of communication, as mentioned before.

I think your posts add a good deal of balance to the Topic.

I also think that many " artists/makers " with great talent and good intentions should also take some business classes if they go into full time business making arms or armour and also take commissions rather than only selling what they make after they make it.: A part time " hobby " maker, not financially dependent on the sales of his stuff to live as income, could only accept commissions in numbers he can handle without being stressed out or stressing out his customers with bad communication.

If someone wants to be a full-time professional maker they should also develop the competencies to be a full time " professional business person ".

I do have a number of people I consider to be AAA quality and reliable makers and you are one of them. Happy Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Christine Munro

PostPosted: Mon 13 May, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Leo, my Eared Dagger you made for me actually arrived one month early. Big Grin Cool

My rather nice scabbards were actually delivered in person: you can't get much better than that! Big Grin

I think that the subject of good communication is terribly important: I can forgive an awful lot if someone is prompt, open and honest with their responses (indeed most people who I've ordered from are an awful lot more prompt than I am!) but conversely, if someone is a bit slow and/or evasive, I tend to get rather cold feet even if they're still within their timescale. I think in one case that sticks in my mind I wasn't dealing with someone who was really dishonest but I think he was afraid to say that he'd taken on too much work and his rather oblique responses made me feel very uncomfortable: the chap in question did give me a full refund of my deposit when I asked for it, but I wish he'd been more up-front about things. Had he done so, I may have just waited.
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 May, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd lilke to point out that it is also the responsibility of the purchaser to convey their expectations about the sword purchase.

The discussion shouldn't just be about the details of the item to be received but how you, as the purchaser, would like to to treated. Do you expect or want monthly updates? Do you want pictures before the piece ships? Do you want pictures of the sword at various steps in the project? Do you want the sword done in a week, 2 months, 2 years etc.? If there is a delay, how would you want the producer to react? Do you care about delays? Do you want your money back if there are delays? Do you want to put money down?

What is important to you as the consumer?

Now the craftsman doesn't have to agree to everything that you want (maybe they don't have time or don't want to take pictures of the sword during the process) but at least you have asked. You and the craftsman can now make a more informed decision on whether you want to do business with each other and both of you can adjust your expectations about the transaction.

I think this is something that most purchasers are horrible at. I know that I am horrible at it. I find a sword that I want reproduced. I get super enthusiastic about it. I shoot a couple emails off, get the sword commissioned and then eagerly await its arrival. Then I realized, that I haven't discussed time frames. I haven't set delivery expectations. Oops! I looked at the sword images again and found out that I missed some details that I wanted reproduced so I shoot off another set of emails just to make sure that I'm clear. Now I have to adjust my expectations about an estimated delivery and sword price etc. . . and yet some how I still haven't conveyed my expectation on a time frame because I'm so caught up in getting the exact sword that I want.

Now in the above example, which by the way happened on my latest commission, I haven't had any discussion with the craftsman abut time frames so I shouldn't be upset if the commission takes 2 years and I expected a year. I shouldn't be upset about not getting bi-monthly updates, because I haven't set that expectation. If I get upset, then it would be my fault for not communicating effectively.

I haven't taken the time to build a business/transaction relationship. And In the end it is all about building a relationship.

While I don't want to dismiss poor communication and time delays by the producer, it is also the responsibility of the purchaser to communicate as best as possible what he or she wants and expects.

When ordering a custom sword, both the purchaser and producer need to be as clear as possible.
Raymond Deancona

PostPosted: Fri 17 May, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As I did not want to name names in a bad experience, I am going to name names in a recent GREAT experience.

I cannot say enough good things about J E Sarge from crusadermonk.com. Last week I sent down an old Del Tin blade, with guard and pommel that needed a handle, and peening and general cleaning of the whole piece. The box arrived to him on Tuesday, and the finished piece is done and in the mail as of today.

The pictures of the finished piece are outstanding.

Mr. Sarge went above and beyond for the money spent. I will definitely be doing more business with him in the future. Highly recommended.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 17 May, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
I'd lilke to point out that it is also the responsibility of the purchaser to convey their expectations about the sword purchase.

The discussion shouldn't just be about the details of the item to be received but how you, as the purchaser, would like to to treated. Do you expect or want monthly updates? Do you want pictures before the piece ships? Do you want pictures of the sword at various steps in the project? Do you want the sword done in a week, 2 months, 2 years etc.? If there is a delay, how would you want the producer to react? Do you care about delays? Do you want your money back if there are delays? Do you want to put money down?

What is important to you as the consumer?

Now the craftsman doesn't have to agree to everything that you want (maybe they don't have time or don't want to take pictures of the sword during the process) but at least you have asked. You and the craftsman can now make a more informed decision on whether you want to do business with each other and both of you can adjust your expectations about the transaction.

Quote edited down for brevity, read Jason's whole post a few comments above for full context.

If expectations by the purchaser where just assumed and not discussed I can see where there could be a mismatch between what the customer expects and what the maker may or may not have promised " In theory ".

But often the problem is with promised customer service by the maker, often on his web site, not met, promises broken or just the lack of communication by the maker even after a reasonable time after a customer has asked for some feedback.

For a busy maker, even a week before a reply might be acceptable to me as a customer, although some of the best makers out there reply within a day or two in my experience.

The problem is also that even if the customer has a long list of requirements that the maker agreed to there seems to be no real guarantee that these expectations will be met or a contract broken if promises are not kept i.e. Sounds good in theory, but not really enforceable or reliable as a contract in my opinion.

The really reliable makers are reliable without any arm twisting, and the unreliable ones are as unreliable in their promises as in delivery.

One can chose a maker based on good past experience and good buzz/reviews/reputation and chose to do business with them accordingly, and in reverse makers with a record of making the whole process slow, frustrating and painful should be avoided ! If one decides to deal anyway with a maker with a lot of negative reviews of their customer service because one likes their work one is taking the risk of being another future writer of a bad customer service review. ( Or buy just in stock for immediate sales items )

Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Fri 17 May, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
One can chose a maker based on good past experience and good buzz/reviews/reputation and chose to do business with them accordingly, and in reverse makers with a record of making the whole process slow, frustrating and painful should be avoided ! If one decides to deal anyway with a maker with a lot of negative reviews of their customer service because one likes their work one is taking the risk of being another future writer of a bad customer service review. ( [i]Or buy just in stock for immediate sales items

I agree with this. Though it does seem to me that the negative reviews are few and far between. Once people get their sword, a lot of the frustrating wait and lack of communication seems to be forgot or accepted, which puts us right back where we started Big Grin
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 17 May, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
One can chose a maker based on good past experience and good buzz/reviews/reputation and chose to do business with them accordingly, and in reverse makers with a record of making the whole process slow, frustrating and painful should be avoided ! If one decides to deal anyway with a maker with a lot of negative reviews of their customer service because one likes their work one is taking the risk of being another future writer of a bad customer service review. ( [i]Or buy just in stock for immediate sales items

I agree with this. Though it does seem to me that the negative reviews are few and far between. Once people get their sword, a lot of the frustrating wait and lack of communication seems to be forgot or accepted, which puts us right back where we started Big Grin

Jason, you made some useful points in your previous post about making sure to ask questions about estimated delivery times and other design questions before committing to making an order official: I always think that for a custom project of a design I want to have made I have to get the design close to finalized before sending money and sealing a deal.

With many projects there can also be decision points where the maker might want to know preferences or might wish to discuss a change of some kind to a design due to a technical question or even due to some new information about a historical piece on which a custom design is based.

I usually don't write negative reviews unless the matter is very serious and not resolved with the maker in a satisfactory way first, but I do make a great point to give positive reviews to good work or good work + good customer service.

So when I'm looking at ordering from a maker I don't know I will often base my decision to try this maker based on others' positive comments rather than scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for negative reviews: But, if a maker has gotten a bad reputation I will think twice or three times before ordering from them.

Some, have become " Legendary " in disappointing people repeatedly over a long period of time and have become like " Toxic Waste " to me, and I would only buy from them in stock items, if at all. Sad

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 20 May, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is a shame that people who are known to be outstanding in the business always seem to be the ones that end up getting upset over these threads. Its interesting that the people that either repeatedly muck up or have less stellar reputations always seem to just pass them by.

Millennials and social media are going to change some of this as they gain purchasing power. At this point even slow mainstream companies are scrambling like mad to educate management teams on what social and millennial means to market presence and even the ability to source and retain talent. Facebook may or may not compel towards the positive, as I'm inclined to agree forums tend to do, but things like Glassdoor, YouTube and Yelp are different beasts altogether that are strongly driven by customer experience!!! Vendors may not get smoked here or in the other forums but the ones that cannot master customer experience are going to get smoked sure enough.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jerad P

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: My First Sword Making Experience         Reply with quote

It really makes me sad that my first, and potentially last, post here is in this thread.

I’ll start by saying I’m not a kid and nearing middle age, but I am brand new to the entire sword-buying experience. A few years ago I really started getting into the Renaissance Festival scene and began putting together what I think is a pretty nice warrior outfit on which I’ve spent just under $2000. But to complete it, well...a warrior needs a weapon, right? And I do not want some cheap piece hanging from the side of an outfit of which I am very proud and spent a fair amount of money assembling.

So late last year I began the meticulous process of researching what makes a ‘good sword’, and what manufacturers make the best swords. I was fortunate to come across this site and the forums, and have learned a wealth of information here. By the time I had narrowed down my choices and made a decision to commit money to purchase a high quality sword, it was already mid-April, and the Renaissance Festival I go to begins this weekend and ends the last weekend in September. I knew from my research that I had perhaps waited too long since 4 months to get a new sword could potentially be unrealistic.

Nevertheless, I decided to try. My goal, stated upfront to the two manufacturers I contacted, was that I was hoping to get the sword in time for the Renaissance Festival. In the end, I choose a highly respected manufacturer who told me they had a production time of about 16 weeks, but thought they could have it done in July to then ship to the scabbard maker who is currently designing a custom scabbard for it as well. To say I was pleasantly surprised was an understatement.

So because I was told it would be completed in time for the festival, I hastily threw down the $300 deposit for the sword to get in their production queue, and then deposited $100 for the scabbard - since that’s apparently what we have to do for the privilege of working with this industry. All told, the sword and scabbard combined will be just under $2500, so this is not a very inexpensive purchase.

Early June came, so I decided to check in and got an e-mail back that they were running ‘a little behind’, but were trying to catch up. No problem, I thought, they’ve still got almost two full months. Late July came with still no proactive update from them, so I checked in again and received notice that they were not going to make the July deadline. I responded once again that my primary concern was to get the sword in time for at least the last weekend of the festival in September, and it was met with a response of “we’re sorry to disappoint, but we just don’t know at this point.” And since then, I have heard nothing else.

Now of course I imagine I will get it eventually, but I am not a re-enactor nor do I live in a place where there are a lot of opportunities/events in which I can really use it outside of the festival. If I don’t get it in time for at least the end of festival I could just as well let it sit in the shipping box until next year. I’m tempted to simply cancel my order and lose the $400 deposit money as a less expensive, yet failed, foray into the world of sword buying. But now I feel bad because the scabbard maker has already begun what appears to be a fair amount of work on the scabbard and it’s not his fault the sword isn't ready.

If the manufacturer had been honest with me upfront and told me ‘we don’t think it can be done in the timeframe you’re asking’, that’s all I really wanted. Sure I would have been bummed, but I likely would have ordered the sword later this year or next to ensure (what should be) plenty of time for them to complete it for next year's Renaissance Festival. There are many other bills I can instead pay with that money until next year. But failing to set and actually meet realistic expectations appears to be a universal problem with sword makers. WHY?!?! And why are we, as consumers who have to give them money up front, simply expected ‘to take it’ because of [insert a myriad number of so-called good excuses]?!?

So in the end, I am very upset that the estimated month I was told this product would be completed is very likely going to be missed by at least another month. And this from a manufacturer that has overwhelming positive reviews here and perhaps the best reputation in the business. I can only conclude from my own experience and similar threads about other industry manufacturers I’ve seen on this forum that this is how the industry works as a whole. As a result, I will be damned if I ever purchase another sword if this is what many consider to be the ‘best of the best’ has to offer.

I know there have been comments about stating what manufacturer people have had poor experiences with, but in this case I do not feel stating the manufacturer’s name will make any difference as they are spoken of with near-universal praise on these forums.
Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Sword Making Experience         Reply with quote

Jerad P wrote:
I can only conclude from my own experience and similar threads about other industry manufacturers I’ve seen on this forum that this is how the industry works as a whole.

Hi Jerad,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately delays do seem to be an industry Standard. If your sword is not a custom item, maybe you will be able to find it at Kult of Athena (www.kultofathena.com) and then ask for a refund from the manufacturer.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Sword Making Experience         Reply with quote

Jerad P wrote:
It really makes me sad that my first, and potentially last, post here is in this thread.

Welcome to the site and thank you for sharing. I hope this isn't your last post.

Quote:
I know there have been comments about stating what manufacturer people have had poor experiences with, but in this case I do not feel stating the manufacturer’s name will make any difference as they are spoken of with near-universal praise on these forums.

I've had some very similar experiences. You're right that this industry is a mess in terms of expectation management and, generally speaking, basic good business practices. In fact, in my own personal experience, the list of companies/individuals who have provided consistently good consumer experiences for me is very, very, very short and easily could be counted on one hand.

It's really unfortunate since we hear of so many stories of companies/makers expressing woes of the poor economy, etc. and hear so few stories of the same companies/makers striving to improve their core business practices. Being a business consultant by trade, it's very hard for me to watch.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jerad,

Welcome and please don't let one bad experience turn you off of a fascinating hobby. Also, don't be afraid of voicing criticism of a given company, no matter who they are. You'll probably find others share your experience, no matter who it is.

As Nathan has said, that's more the industry norm than the exception. Most makers are craftsman with a passion for the subject not business people, and it shows within the industry. If the company in question is the one I'm thinking of, they're good people with a great product, but they have a habit of making promises before checking to see whether or not they can fulfill them. Most of these companies are small, almost microscopic when compared to other industries. In order to keep the doors open they seem to make a habit of robbing Peter to pay Paul, and they always seem to be on the ragged edge of closure. I've never dealt with a production company I didn't have at least minor issues with at one time or another. My experience with custom makers probably runs about 30%-70% against.

Unfortunately, we customers as a collective body have to shoulder our share of the blame. We tend to feel an emotional connection with the maker, as buying a sword isn't quite the same as buying a car. Many customers tend to look at a maker as their "guy", as such we tend to give them a pass on bad practices. We'd never think of doing that with any other industry, but many times passion over rides principal. I don't know how many times we've seen customers go on lengthy rants about their negative experience, sometimes for months on end. Then, once the item is in hand and the monkey has the new shiny object, all is forgiven and we're happy campers, until next time. That kind of behavior on our part doesn't promote good business practices on theirs. Why should they change when we still support them? Until we start speaking with our purchasing power things will never change.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have noticed that most custom or semi-custom swords I order from US makers usually never meet the estimated completion date. I usually expect to get it a few months later. Not a big deal for me but maybe upsetting to others. Usually, there is no money upfront or just a small deposit.

Even with the higher end production swords that have an advertised maximum waiting time, I sometimes wait over double that time for the sword. Again, this does not really bother me, but has made me more inclined to buy from the secondary market or wait for one to pop up in the Kult of Athena or Viking Shield in-stock offerings.

Supporting the companies and custom makers can only be good for our hobby in the short term and long term. Business practices can be improved overall but it is not like there are tons of alternative options for getting a high quality sword for a reasonable price.

I can say that almost all custom, semi-custom and higher end production swords have met or exceeded my expectations. That is why I continue to to be a repeat customer. Have never been cheated out of money or not received a quality product.
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jerad,

I agree with Patrick, don't let one bad experience jade you against the entire industry.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you are referring to Albion.

Here's my two cents: Albion makes a great product, and they're a great bunch of people, but they do still have issues with overpromising on delivery. I think it is completely fair and reasonable to say that you are not happy with the situation.

I would also hazard a guess that the "near universal" praise is because of the quality of the product, not the quality of the customer experience. I am fortunate enough to live close by and be able to visit their shop from time to time, so I've generally had very positive customer experiences, but I did still experience extended wait times on each sword I purchased from them. I didn't have any deadlines, so it was just a minor inconvenience, but if I were in your shoes I think I'd be pretty frustrated too.

Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another"

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA)
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Unfortunately, we customers as a collective body have to shoulder our share of the blame. We tend to feel an emotional connection with the maker, as buying a sword isn't quite the same as buying a car. Many customers tend to look at a maker as their "guy", as such we tend to give them a pass on bad practices. We'd never think of doing that with any other industry, but many times passion over rides principal. I don't know how many times we've seen customers go on lengthy rants about their negative experience, sometimes for months on end. Then, once the item is in hand and the monkey has the new shiny object, all is forgiven and we're happy campers, until next time. That kind of behavior on our part doesn't promote good business practices on theirs. Why should they change when we still support them? Until we start speaking with our purchasing power things will never change.

Yes, I think I've done the same thing, felt extremely frustrated with repeated delays and then been so happy with the thing in my hands that I sort of forgave the aggravation because the thing in hand turned out to be worth it.

But this doesn't mean that it right and good customer service.

Personally I give my word once and do my very best to fulfil a commitment I have made: Breaking my word just once makes me feel horrible and I guess I expect the same in return but rarely get it: I think that some makers have broken promises or given so many excuses for delays that they don't feel the shame of breaking their word any more. WTF?! Sad

Funny how they don't complain when I pay in full in advance to help keep them in business. ( Maybe misplaced sympathy for their financial health, it would be nice if they where as concerned about being honourable and on time in return i.e. the " Pay of the machine debacle " where I finally got my sword 3 years late .... well at least I finally got it .... WTF?! )

When commissioning custom work we often are a co-designer and feel a partnership with the maker that isn't reciprocated.

Now, I have had many good custom order experiences but a few very bad ones and now generally just buy stuff already made and ready for immediate shipping, but even in one instance it has taken months before a promised shipping has actually happened. ( Every excuse seemed reasonnable, at the time, but after 20 of them it started to be a bit much ).

Now taken one at a time excuses for delays may be valid and excused, but as I wrote at the beginning I would personally feel very uncomfortable if I delayed something at my end or didn't honour a commitment at my end more than once or twice ! I give 100 times more slack for broken commitments to others I would give myself, and I shouldn't I think.

It is rare that a great person at making great weapons is at the same time also a good manager of expectations and scrupulous at keeping their word as given.

In a bad economy it's a wonder that some of these people are still able to put any food on the table.

My list of reliable makers is also something I can count on the fingers of one hand, but these people get my repeat business and I make a point of giving them public praise like Kult of Athena that has never disappointed and usually exceeded expectation, and since a lot of less reliable maker's work can be purchased through KoA I tend to buy from them rather than buy from the makers directly when possible.

Call me a " dinosaur " but I'm positively " Medieval " in my belief in honour and honouring one's word given .... but it may be a mistake to expect the same in return unfortunately ..... well, I was in sort of ranting mode here, and it's unfortunate that the really good makers, who do keep their word, also suffer from the bad actions of the less well organized ! Very few mean to stiff their clients but they over promise and under-deliver instead of doing the reverse as they should.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Expectations and Communication
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: