Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Deepeeka Triple-Lobed Godfred: A brief lookProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Wed 08 May, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Schontzler wrote:
Thanks for the update, Peter! Looks great, way to make it your own.

You could try darkening the scabbard to a much darker brown, it might blend better with the hilt. (don't ask me how to do that though!)

Thank you! Aye, dark brown might do. I have damn near a whole bottle of black and same for ox blood (very rarely use either) so I'm fighting off the urge to make it ox blood with black accents Big Grin

I just whittled out a raven-styled strap bridge from poplar:

and stained it black. My initial plan was to cut out a space for straps to hold it to the sheath and then tool the leather on the straps to continue the pattern, but now I don't want to mess it up Laughing Out Loud
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 08 May, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool, Peter. I look forward to the complete finished packaged. I think you will have very good value for money when you're finished considering it cost what, $150?
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Wed 08 May, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Ian! The wood I used for the bridge and grip were offcuts from other projects, as was the leather. The grip wrap was left over from my other swords, the gun blue was (funnily enough) left over from bluing gun parts and the dyes were both bought for leatherwork projects I've long since forgotten - so, my 'total' other than labor has really just been the purchase + shipping cost Big Grin
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Wed 08 May, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks good, Peter - if you had posted that picture a month ago and told me it was a Deepeeka I'm not sure I would have believed it. They are improving, and you have in turn improved that sword in my opinion.
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Wed 08 May, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Greg!

The sword and scabbard are bordering finished... I'll post pictures when I have some daylight to take them!
Peter Anderson

PostPosted: Wed 08 May, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love what you're doing with that. Looks great. I am inclined to say go for it with the red and black scabbard... I think it would look pretty swanky. I've seen some great Sutton Hoo scabbards in oxblood/red and I think this nicely modified sword could pull it off just as well.

Thanks for the review, too. I think I'll pass on this one, as the silhouette is pretty similar to the Hanwei Practical Viking I already picked up. But I'm definitely going to spring for a Hersir as soon as Kult of Athena has one in stock!
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Wed 08 May, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Peter Big Grin i did decide to go black and red on the scabbard - I'm not sure whether the Vikings would have used it, but I think it looks rather nice! The similarity to the practical viking did strike me also, I had one when I was younger - sturdy blade!

Impatience did win out, I took some pictures - forgive the flash photography that has ran rampant in this thread, I do usually try to avoid it!

I stripped the scabbard of the finish with nail polish remover (thanks to the recent thread about stripping windlass scabbards - I thought plastic covered scabbards were beyond hope!) and dyed it oxblood on the body and black on the chape and throat. The oxblood showed up way more purple than I expected - I think it may have been because of the semi-sealed leather. Anyway, I put some black dye on a rag, wiped most of it off and then went over the scabbard with it to darken the purple, then did the grip to match. I got it a bit darker than intended, so I think I'll try to tone it back a bit.

Pretty happy with how this turned out Big Grin
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Thu 09 May, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your bridge is great. Really improved the look of the scabbard. By the way, I notice deepeeka has a scabbard with bridge on at least three other 'viking' swords, perhaps they will switch the godfred over as well?
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Keith B Wescovich

PostPosted: Fri 10 May, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: soem technical information         Reply with quote

thanks for the positive review. the fittings are mild steel. the off center recess blade/guard is a mis-fit on this particular sword, it should have been recessed on both sides. Sorry about that, there are still some quality control issues in production. These swords have turned out to be very popular and may have been rushed a bit.

You are correct, by law, all indian swords are exported as replicas and must be dull. There are some small outfits that work around that but Deepeeka is far to large and well known to do that.

Deepeeka is indeed on a quest to upgrade it's products, all new production weapons should be of similar, improved quality.

Keith
Historical consultant
Replica Strategies LLC
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Fri 10 May, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian - perhaps, but to be honest I kinda like the leather chape on one sword, at least! I'm pretty happy with how the bridge on this turned out, and I wound up taking the sword to the grinder the other day to flatten out the tip - it's much thinner now, and the diamond section is completely gone. Did some more refining of the edge, too!

Keith - I would expect some quality control issues in a piece at this cost, especially this early in development - to an extent I'm looking at this sword as a prototype, and it shows great promise and fantastic value. I am also well aware that in mass-production, unless computer-control is used for everything, the experience of the workers in making the item is very relevant - in the first few batches of any new product, there will be mistakes as people adjust. This has been a fun project, and I have no doubt that the Hersir will be as well - I thank all at Deepeeka for that!
Peter Anderson

PostPosted: Sat 11 May, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahh, that looks great! I think the oxblood and black looks pretty dandy; I'm glad you went with that. The strap bridge works so well here too. That's an awesome carving job.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 11 May, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great strap bridge! The raven symbols really work. With the oxblood finish and the raven bridge, I would name the sword 'RavenBlood'..............but that's just me. Beautiful sword....truly a rags to riches transformation. Fabulous work. ...McM
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Sat 11 May, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Peter! I'm pleased with how it worked out as well, my concerns were in vain!

Thanks Mark - that's a great name, I think I shall if you don't mind Big Grin It's already had a nip of my blood as I was honing the edge Eek!

I got the baldric done today, just waiting on everything drying - the baldric is 3/4" and also Oxblood.Looks rather nice if I do say so m'self Big Grin
Peter Anderson

PostPosted: Sat 11 May, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hrafn-blóð!

Looking forward to seeing the baldric. Happy
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Sat 11 May, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A fine name for a sword Big Grin

I posted the Baldric in a new thread, since I also did the baldric for another sword and I didn't want to clutter this thread up further - http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=28098 Big Grin
Peter Anderson

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't suppose you've given a look to the Hersir? I'm eyeing it, myself... Happy
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jun, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is the Culloden Targe that I mentioned earlier. It is 19 inches in diameter and the spike is about 7 inches long. The shield is 5/8 inch thick. I have not weighed it. The lighting I used for the photo washed out the color but it is a reddish brown with a bit of antiquing here and there. The straps for arm and hand are a bit large, as to be expected. but over all it is a well-done piece.

Don't want to take this thread off topic but this is an example of the improvement in quality of some Deepeeka Items.

Attachment: 206.59 KB
Culloden Targe Stock II.jpg

Attachment: 105.28 KB
Culloden Targe Stock I.jpg

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jun, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin,

That looks much better than the ones I remember from a decade ago. Do you know if this is going to be the new direction for all Deepeeka products or just a special selection?

Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jun, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
Lin,

That looks much better than the ones I remember from a decade ago. Do you know if this is going to be the new direction for all Deepeeka products or just a special selection?

It is hard to say. I have been dealing with them for 13 years and during that time there have been few changes in quality of product. Lately I have seen a couple of things, like the targe that indicate to me they are more quality conscious than before. But, and I guess this may answer your question, much of what I get from them is about like it always was. Some items have been improved and the prices have risen accordingly. They have the "Primus" line of which this targe is a part and I am pretty sure it is a special segment of their product line.

Over all I like what I see from them and, as I have said before, they do provide some things that other makers do not, which is a plus. I think everyone will feel better about Deepeeka products going forward if the targe is any indication.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jun, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
Ian Hutchison wrote:
Lin,

It is hard to say. I have been dealing with them for 13 years and during that time there have been few changes in quality of product. Lately I have seen a couple of things, like the targe that indicate to me they are more quality conscious than before. But, and I guess this may answer your question, much of what I get from them is about like it always was. Some items have been improved and the prices have risen accordingly. They have the "Primus" line of which this targe is a part and I am pretty sure it is a special segment of their product line.

Over all I like what I see from them and, as I have said before, they do provide some things that other makers do not, which is a plus. I think everyone will feel better about Deepeeka products going forward if the targe is any indication.

I like that a couple of manufacturers are doing this now.: Hanwei, Valiant, and now Deepeeka. Any improvements are good considering what the market was like 15-20 years ago. Massive leaps forward in my opinion.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Deepeeka Triple-Lobed Godfred: A brief lookProduct Review
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: