A two hander in progress for Atlanta Blade Show...
Here is a short video showing a sword that I'm working on for Blade show in Atlanta, Georgia. It's a 35" blade forged from 200 layers of 15n20/1084. The pattern is intended to give the impression of wood grain as all the elements in this sword will possess. It would be considered a contemporary art sword borrowing elements from Danish and Irish two handed swords. The hilt will be wrought iron and wenge.

http://youtu.be/N4AvAUh1JaM

If anybody knows how to embed this in the post rather than link to it.. I would be obliged!

More pictures as the sword comes together....
The youtube clip is much better at showing the pattern than a static pic would, and the blade is really superb and attractive, looking forward to seeing the whole sword put together.

The blade seems very flexible, but it also seems to me that to bend it it took a great deal of force so that it is basically a fairly stiff/strong sword even if it can take a good bend.

Really beautiful blade : There, I had to say it at least twice. :D :cool:
Thank you Jean...

Yes.. the video does capture the pattern better. I think I will do this sort of thing more often.

And yes.. it is a pretty stiff blade. I minimized distal taper in order to maintain a certain level of stiffness so that it would be an appropriate 'thrusting' blade for armored combat. I hate whippy blades ... except in jian.

I will post the specs on the blade tomorrow and show some stills too...
Beautiful, Scott ! I can see the Dane coming out in the blade shape! What do you plan for hilting? I vote for a ring pommel! ............McM
Thanks Mark...

Yeah it will be a Dane shape with a ring pommel. Last year I found a beautiful wrought iron ring that was some kind of fitting on an old steam boat shipwreck. It won't be a perfect circular ring on the outside profile.. but there is a circular hole through which the tang will pass and be exposed. It is a beautiful piece because the fitting must have been made by hot punching as the grain of the iron is uninterrupted as it glides around the hole.. much like the wood grain grows around a knot.
Scott, i hate you :lol:

you keep on making this stuff that i wish i could get my hands on, and a two hander no less, do you not see my posts around these forums!?

that blade is just simply awesome, and i know as a whole piece - your going to make it look like a masterpiece of craftsmanship. you have an uncanny way of blending the art of steel with the natural world.
It's nice being hated for the right reasons. :-)

Thanks for the uplifting words.
Ahhh........Thank ya Scott ! That ring pom will look totally kickin' on that blade. .........McM
Just saw this. Scott that blade is beautiful. I love the look of damascus even if its not always used historically.

Did you do the pattern welding yourself?
Yeah Bryan... I made it. I have a 30 ton hydraulic press that makes sword size billets fairly easy.. and even easier next week when I get my new power hammer!

Yeah.. it's not very historical. I've searched high and low for pattern welded later medieval swords. Seems like a few royal commissions may have been. But this was intended as an art sword anyway.
wenge and wrought iron fittings. The filed groove will have twisted wire...

[ Linked Image ]
This is gonna be so SHWEEET........Can't wait to see it, Scott. That pommel looks great. I have no doubt that this sword will be absolutely surreal. Awesome.............mcm
that ring pommel is looking very nice Hmmmmmm

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: