Abstract Expressionism (teaser)
Hi All...

I just recieved my very first custom sword the other day. I was very impressed with the results... So I wanted to show this work of art to my fellow forumites. However, the day it arrived was too sunny and the blade too polished, so the pictures had too much glare and shadow. However there were some pretty interesting abstract expressionist elements in the photos. So I have taken out some detail shots for your enjoyment. I thought it might be interesting to see if you can guess the sword family from just the portions shown. :?:

ks
I didn't know that Monet made swords! :D
Re: Abstract Expressionism (teaser)
Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Hi All...

I thought it might be interesting to see if you can guess the sword family from just the portions shown. :?:

ks

Is it a viking sword?

Alexi
OK Kirk! Fess up! What is it? Its some type of diamond cross section, but there isnt enough to tell for sure. A gladius, a spatha or an XVIII of some kind? Wait a minute. Seems like a fuller in the left bottom. Type XI or XII with a boat shaped pommel? AWWWW I give up!
Bill Grandy wrote:
I didn't know that Monet made swords! :D

Yes... There is some Monet in one fuller and a little Van Gogh in the other. And a pommel full of what looks like DeKooning :)

ks
Tom Carr wrote:
OK Kirk! Fess up! What is it? Its some type of diamond cross section, but there isnt enough to tell for sure. A gladius, a spatha or an XVIII of some kind? Wait a minute. Seems like a fuller in the left bottom. Type XI or XII with a boat shaped pommel? AWWWW I give up!

Hey Tom...

Good to hear from you. Sorry no diamond cross section. I made sure there was not enough to be sure... However I did try to leave some hints along the edges. It isn't Roman and its Oakeshott blade number is less than XVIII. Okay it has a boat shaped pommel but what about type.

keep postin...

ks
Alexi Goranov wrote:

Is it a viking sword?

Alexi

Alexi...

You're right!!! It is a Viking sword.... Good job!

But, now, what is its Petersen Type?

ks
Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Alexi Goranov wrote:

Is it a viking sword?

Alexi

Alexi...

You're right!!! It is a Viking sword.... Good job!

But, now, what is its Petersen Type?

ks

Thanks,

The shot of the pommel can be interpreted at lest two fold, either a brasil nut or a Petersen type S-ish. Not sure, and I could be completely off.

Alexi
Hi Alexi...

I have a confession to make. :(

I included close ups of two different swords... but they both are Vikings. And you are right. One of them is a type S.

So good job once again! :D

I was photographing these two Vikings together because they are fraternal twins. They were both made by the same bladesmith and they were both finished this fall. The type S is a semi-custom I bought a few weeks ago from another forumite. The other "mystery sword" is a custom design I commissioned to try and recreate an important Norwegian find.

ks
Would one of them be a single-edged Viking sword of Petersen type C (Wheeler type: II)?

With the original being found at the North Arhus farm, Hjartdal parish, Telemark, Norway.
Cant wait to see those Kirk! Come-on we need pics, good or bad. :D
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Would one of them be a single-edged Viking sword of Petersen type C (Wheeler type: II)?

With the original being found at the North Arhus farm, Hjartdal parish, Telemark, Norway.

My my my... Dead on Patrick! Wow! you have a very good eye!!! :eek:

Can you elaborate on how you figured it out?? :D

ks
Tom Carr wrote:
Cant wait to see those Kirk! Come-on we need pics, good or bad. :D

Hey Tom...

Well I guess since Patrick solved the mystery :( :cry: I"ll post one. I'll try to get the others up on a separate review post.

Thanks for playing :) :) :)

ks
Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

My my my... Dead on Patrick! Wow! you have a very good eye!!! :eek:

Can you elaborate on how you figured it out?? :D

ks

With my Jedi powers of course ;)

The middle three pictures are what did it. Two clearly show a blade of single-edged configuration. The other one shows the coinciding style of point. Those clues and your hint about the norwegian find place were my evidence.

Who is the maker?
WOW! Im going to have to see that baby up close. What are the stats and who made it?
As you have tiny tots I suppose its rebated, but if it's a sharp let me know and we will test it out on my stand! Quite a Christmas present there Kirk! :cool:
Before I saw Albion's Berserkr I was completely unfamiliar with this type of single edged Viking sword. Wonderful to see photographs of a shining new replica for the first time. Absolutely beautiful Kirk - I look forward to the review. And to learning the identity of the craftsman!
Tom Carr wrote:
WOW! Im going to have to see that baby up close. What are the stats and who made it?
As you have tiny tots I suppose its rebated, but if it's a sharp let me know and we will test it out on my stand! Quite a Christmas present there Kirk! :cool:

Hey guys...

The Bladesmith that crafted this masterpiece is Vladimir Cervenka. Here is his website. You can e-mail him for his price list.

http://www.sword.cz/eindex.htm

(some people think that craftsmen do not publish prices on their website because they are too expensive and don't want to frighten anyone off... not the case here!)

I will post stats and review material when I get some decent photos.

Tom,

The blade is sharp and we will definitely do some cutting!

Patrick,

Great detective work!

ks
:surprised: :eek: :D And i have try to calm down a bit before xmas and all :D
Kirk! That one are a really beauty, what a blade! :cool:
Outstanding Kirk! You busy Sunday afternoon? Im sure I can scare up a few targets to cut. After all, you cant leave these people here drooling without telling them how good it handles and cuts. ;)
James A. Vargscarr wrote:
Before I saw Albion's Berserkr I was completely unfamiliar with this type of single edged Viking sword. Wonderful to see photographs of a shining new replica for the first time. Absolutely beautiful Kirk - I look forward to the review. And to learning the identity of the craftsman!

Manning Imperial also makes one (doesn't seem to have a fuller though). You can see it here:
http://www.manningimperial.com/item.php?item_id=342

Very nice sword, there, Kirk!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: