Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > mail voiders-ish? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Separate sleeves and skirts (pans, paunces) of mail start appearing in inventories in the mid-14th century beneath pairs of plate, so there is little reason not to use them for a 15th century portrayal. If you're only wearing a breastplate, an haubergeon/mail shirt would be a better choice. The easiest way to keep the armpit from pulling out from beneath the breast and back is to sew the mail sleeves to the arming doublet.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mart Shearer wrote:
Separate sleeves and skirts (pans, paunces) of mail start appearing in inventories in the mid-14th century beneath pairs of plate, so there is little reason not to use them for a 15th century portrayal. If you're only wearing a breastplate, an haubergeon/mail shirt would be a better choice. The easiest way to keep the armpit from pulling out from beneath the breast and back is to sew the mail sleeves to the arming doublet.

Mart, your first sentence grabbed my attention. I wear mail sleeves and skirt under a pair of plates in my mid-14th century kit simply for weight reduction, but I've had a devil of a time documenting it prior to the 1390's. Do you have sources that you can point us to?

Thank you,

-Scott

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Fri 02 Aug, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roland Thomas Richardson, The medieval inventories of the Tower armouries 1320–1410
http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/3919/1/Thom_Ri..._final.pdf

Randall and I have been bandying about several of the pieces of information from this thesis for over a month on Armour Archive, and we've only scratched the surface.

Enjoy!

Henrik Granlid

PostPosted: Sat 03 Aug, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This style of voider-ish garb is part of my future plans for my butted maille as a quick way to repurpose it from erroneous 13th century design (non-tailored, elbow-length arms) to proper 15th century use, great way to get some extra rings out of it as well to make, well, something out of it.
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Sat 03 Aug, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mart Shearer wrote:
Roland Thomas Richardson, The medieval inventories of the Tower armouries 1320–1410
http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/3919/1/Thom_Ri..._final.pdf

Randall and I have been bandying about several of the pieces of information from this thesis for over a month on Armour Archive, and we've only scratched the surface.

Enjoy!

I don't frequent AA nearly as much as I used to. Thank you so much for providing a link to Mr. Richardson's thesis. You do realize that any evening plans I may have had for the next few weeks have just been shot! Happy

I'll make it a point to return to the AA and read up on Randall and your thoughts.

Thank you!

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sat 03 Aug, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you'll find most of the discussion in the Historical Research forum. So far we've been on the mail items for the most part: tournament hauberks, musekins, aventails and pisanes, and of course the question of haubergeons or sleeves and skirt beneath the plates.
Jonathan Fletcher

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Voiders no more...         Reply with quote

I have been trying to figure out voiders to work with a c.1415 white harness based loosely on the John Fitzwaryn brass from Wantage, as found on p.40 of the Campaign series booklet Agincourt, published by Osprey.

I use a Historic Enterprises arming coat with the $100 extra voider eyelets that are incidentally sewn in the wrong place, covering the lower gutter of the arm and not including the all important inside of the elbow joint.

The arms' canons are fully enclosing and, as with the waist of the cuirass, quite neat - no room for an off the shelf baggy sleeved and baggy bodied maille shirt underneath.

The 6mm voiders bought from GDFB didn't work: Not enough body coverage, far too baggy in the sleeves. They have to be sewn up around the sleeve diagonally and I didn't like the way this affected elbow flexion, kind of binds the sleeve up a bit. These are the standard 6mm maille voiders you will see advertised by several vendors. After a bit of tailoring (using the body section as the sleeve and the sleeve as the body, to give the latter more depth and bringing a section up to cover the inside of the elbow) I am still not convinced and the weight just pulls uncomfortably on the arming coat.

As a result I made a short jacket, laced up the front. It is easy to take on and off, not much more weight than voiders or sleeves. It was made from a 9mm flat ring wedge riveted hauberk that I had tapered the sleeves on a few years ago and put aside.

The finished jacket is shown below, albeit in these photo's fastened up with string and without the maille standard. There isn't much weight in it, the weight easily carried on the shoulders without any pulling on the arming coat as with sewn on voiders. There are no gaps appearing under the spaulders when the arms are raised, as can occur with voiders. The close fitted and tapered arms fit under the upper and lower canons of the arms whilst the off cut body will make a skirt with plenty to spare, possibly even some for behind the thighs and knees.

This seems to work well. I can see it working with Reece's arms as long as the body is covered front and back by something solid. It would be a weight saver for any 14th century harness that uses a breast and back plate or even a coat-of-plates, just needing a belted skirt to finish off.

Attachment: 133.33 KB
Crop1.jpg

Attachment: 104.3 KB
Crop3.jpg

Attachment: 90.47 KB
Crop4.jpg

Attachment: 120.16 KB
Crop2.jpg

Attachment: 62.69 KB
Crop6.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > mail voiders-ish?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: