Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Need a Large Spear?! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Need a Large Spear?!         Reply with quote

I just noticed that the MRL Deal of the weekend is the Hewing Spear for only $15.00.

I don't think that you will find one at a better price. So if you ever wanted anything like it now is the time.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-557-hewing-spearhead.aspx

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmmm....May have to bite on that one. Happy I wonder how difficult it would be to make cut-outs in the blade to give it a more Celtic look. Anyone have a clue as to the steel hardness? I hear that the BIG hewing spear (25") makes a great cutter. Kinda like a Gladius on a stick, or as Jeff Dunhams character 'Jose Jalapeno' would say---"On a steek." Laughing Out Loud .......McM
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that's the same as the spearhead I have; if so, it's good. It was the first spear I owned, and testing its abilities really put the fear of the spear in me! It's no wonder that a spear was such a popular weapon, requiring so little steel and being so effective.

I'd estimate the hardness as being a bit softer or perhaps equal to the windlass swords I have. I bent the tip a touch when I got it, though to be fair, I was jabbing it into hard wooden targets. I've been meaning to give it a cutting edge, but haven't gotten around to it.

I think that a dremel with the reinforced cutting discs + a tile cutting hacksaw blade would cut it no problem.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Peter. That's kinda what I was thinking. But, heck, .....at that price you can buy two...one to mount as-is, and another to Frankenstein on. Laughing Out Loud These particular spear designs were , however, meant as thrower/swinger/stabbers for soft targets...four legged or two legged. The blade's a bit thin for sticking in hard wooden targets. Luckily, your tip was easily straightened, I hope. Big Grin ....McM
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aye, that is most true! It wasn't too difficult to straighten - I actually bought a boss at the same time as I bought the spear so I was in a shield testing mood as well Big Grin
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: cheap spears         Reply with quote

I'm throwing a viking themed party for my birthday soon that will include several viking games and these will be perfect! Gonna set up some axe, spear throwing and a few other balance games. Should be fun! Thanks for posting this Big Grin

-Reece
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Happy B-day, Reece! Big Grin A Viking-themed party ,eh? That sounds way cool! Hope you get lotsa sharp, pointy presents! Laughing Out Loud ...........McM
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine arrived in the mail today.... It was larger than I expected.
A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 27 Apr, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks nice. Not really a typical viking spear though. The most likely candidates for viking hewing spears (based on socket with) have straighter edges.
However, since these are cheaper than just about anything else out there, I have considered geting one and converting it to one of the narrow Pettersen type K "featherspears."

Robin: How is the transition between the socket and blade? And how thick is the blade?

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Sat 27 Apr, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
Robin: How is the transition between the socket and blade? And how thick is the blade?

Transition between socket and blade are definitely very modern looking to my eye. I will admit that I am not as well informed about spears as I would like, so perhaps there are examples that are similar. I am considering attempting to round some of the edges off around the socket transition to give it a less modern look.

I don't have any calipers available ATM, but eyeballing it I would say it appears to be about 4-5mm at the point it transitions into the socket.

Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 27 Apr, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The originals have socket and blade forged together, so that the socket effectively becomes the spine of the blade.
Here is a translation of Pettersen's section on spears, with some pictures; https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByGTCCQBcXUZZGlIck5HUW9hejQ/edit?usp=sharing

This gallery also has some nice viking age spearheads (as do many of the other galeries, but these are the easiest to find);
http://www.vikverir.no/ressurser/hist_mus_bergen/

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Corey Skriletz

PostPosted: Tue 30 Apr, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Phil,

I want to thank you for posting this. I went over to MRL and bought two of them as soon as I saw this post. That's the first time I've bought anything from them in years. They just arrived today, and I love 'em I ground off the "made in India" part and drilled a bigger hole for my rivets. Does anybody know the best way to put a cutting edge on it?

Thanks.
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Tue 30 Apr, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can anyone post a photo of theirs laying next to a dollar bill or ruler, something of known size so we can see the size of these spear heads?
Phil D.

PostPosted: Tue 30 Apr, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Ben,
I will try and post a pic later this evening(unless someone beats me to it)but here are the specs for this beast from the MRL page:

Overall: 19-1/2"
Blade: 3/16" thick, 2-1/2" wide, 13" long

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Tue 30 Apr, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry for the crappy pic... That is a draftsman's scale next to it.

Attachment: 226.05 KB
[ Download ]

Phil D.

PostPosted: Tue 30 Apr, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here it is next to a 20 and the MRL Coustille...it definitely meant for hewing...

Attachment: 92.81 KB
hew.jpg

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Need a Large Spear?!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic