Cervenka 1 1/2 sword
Hi,
I found the cervenka works very good. But is someone have practice with his sword... Is the sword good balancing ?
How is the edge after blow. Is the metalic grip good in hand.
In other hand the sword of "swordcutler" is nice too, but more "basic". What's about this sword ? Balancing, vibrating on blow ?...
Thanks for help
Chris
Re: Cervenka 1 1/2 sword
Chris H. wrote:
Hi,
I found the cervenka works very good. But is someone have practice with his sword... Is the sword good balancing ?
How is the edge after blow. Is the metalic grip good in hand.
In other hand the sword of "swordcutler" is nice too, but more "basic". What's about this sword ? Balancing, vibrating on blow ?...
Thanks for help
Chris

Hi Chris...

Welcome to the forum... It is good to have you here!

It is difficult for many of us to answer your questions because I am not sure if many forumites have Cervenka swords. And I have not heard of anyone who has the Hand-and-a-half sword (although I have seen several posts where interest has been expressed).

I have just aquired two Viking swords by Cervenka so I could give you my impression of his work in general.

I think that Vladimir is a top-notch bladesmith. He is very easy to do business with. He answers all his e-mails within a day. His swords are excellent, especially for the price point. The Viking swords I possess are very tight and well balanced. As a matter of fact the type "S" I have is a little too well balanced. I wish it was a little more blade heavy. Cervenka's swords tend to have a lot of distal taper (the blade gets thinner moving toward the tip), so the balance point is pushed back toward the hilt.

The finish work is also well done. One of the swords I have has been antiqued and it is a convincing effect IMO. The other sword has a satin sandblasted look to the hilt furniture and a high polish on the blade. The only weakness in the finish is that without the antique the grinding marks are somewhat visible.

As for cutting ability... I have not cut anything yet. The double edge Viking will probably vibrate some after the cut if the blade is struck outside the sweet spot. The single edged sword is much stiffer and would probably have less vibration, even outside of the sweet spot.

The wire grip is very comfortable... for at least two reasons: First, Vladimir sands the tops off the wire to make it less abrasive in your hand but still gives plenty of surface area for traction. Second, Vladimir puts a slight bulge toward the middle of the grip that fills the palm and seems to lock the hand onto the hilt.

I will be posting some pictures with some of my observations on these two swords sometime this week... so stay tuned in :)

ks
Kirk,
Thanks for your reply.
I wait to see yours photos, have you a patined viking sword ?
For me, I have decided to command 1 1/2 sw from Cervenka. I have send few mail to him, i found him very pleasant.
I give you some news when i received my sword...peharps in may, a so long time !!!
friendly
Chris
Hi Chris...

Good to hear from you! Yes... One of my Cervenka Vikings is patinated... I really like the look.
congratulations on your new sword. I think you have made a wise choice. :)
Be sure and post some photos when you get your Cervenka 1 1/2.

ks

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: