Raised Norman helm
My latest project was a Norman conical helm. Form, detail, measurements, and construction all follow the originals as closely as I could make them. I began work with a sheet of 14 gauge mild steel, to which I forge-welded the nasal when the skull came close to its final form. A significant amount of material was then removed to smooth the outer surface, though small spots of forge scale remain, and a trace of the lapped forge-weld can be seen above the nasal. These "flaws," and the characteristically rough inner surface are the pay-off for the significant increase of labour required to make a helmet without recourse to modern welding - let me add that I find the subtle differences incredibly satisfying.

An interesting feature is the nasal hook for holding mail over the wearer's face, as can be seen on more extant helmets than not. I formed it by drawing out the steel, folding it and curving it into a hook. This method of construction is particularly evident in the rather crudely finished conical helmet from Augsberg. The helmet is lined with goatskin, which folds over the lower edge and stitches through the lining holes near the base of the skull.

I have included a series of progress photos on my facebook page, for anyone interested.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

-Hildebrandt
Ah man... Whoever commissioned that from you is really lucky. He must be incredibly smart.... Oh and handsome too. :p

Heh :D This helm is for me. I commissioned it from Jeffrey because I have always wanted a traditionally raised one piece helm. Jeffrey and I were both highly satisfied with the end result. I am particularly happy with both the finish and the way the nasal hook turned out.
Congratulations Robin!

THat's a great helm. Really a handsome piece.
What a neat looking piece! It has a very authentic feel to it.
I wanted to give a quick word now that I have it in hand... Helm is great and fits nicely over my mail. Jeffrey was great to work with. I really think the project turned out great.

And another pic:
[ Linked Image ]
The helm looks great Robin. Now you have to take some photos of you wearing it after all that bragging about being handsome...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: