StageSteel Great Claymore
I would like to ask : Does anyone own a RitterSteel/StageSteel Great Claymore...or their Wallace Claymore...or the RitterSteel Great Claymore? I ask only as a favor to a friend of a friend who is a total 'newb' to the sword community. I am aware of some past review/comments on this line of swords....questionable at best. Does anyone have a clue as to ANY kind of feedback on this brand? The 'friend of a friend' I refer to is looking for a 'starter ' sword for his collection , and I just don't have the hands-on of any of these models or brands. He plans to buy a sword, then have me make a little of my 'shop magic' on it to spiff it up a bit. I must admit...I do see a little hope for a cool customization job on one of these SLO's....but, .........well,........Anybody know anything about them? :wtf: McM
they are I believe the same company that used to produce the "starfire" brand of swords prevalent in the 90's; essentially they are sword shaped crowbars. If your friend is looking for a decent starter sword that can be modified, just recommend him a windlass or hanwei.
Star Fire is still Star Fire http://www.starfireswords.com/ . Ritter Steel http://www.rittersteel.com/about-us.htm is I believe a Pacific rim country product ( IIRC thats what a local vendor shop told mre a number of years ago ) that Ritter claims was started by Knights Edge back in the 90's. Haven't handled anything by Ritter to make comment on quality ect.
All I know is from looking into two handers a while back. The Landsknecht sword weighs 12 pounds. I ended up getting a Hanwei Lowlander instead.
From my friend--Thank you, fellas. I already suggested a purchase of a good, used Hanwei or Windlass to him, but he's kinda hung up on the StageSteel Claymore. I told him that it was pretty much just a boat anchor, but he still wants one. :wtf: I'd be interested to see the thing in-hand myself, but I can already see zero distal taper and way too much weight. If he buys one, I'll do a little review---after I get done with it. He wants a re-grip in brown leather, spiral wrapped , and the guard and pommel 'de-blackened'. Hmmm. We'll see. ;) ......Thanks again guys!......McM
I was the same way when I was looking at my first sword..... also an inexpensive Claymore. A year later after getting anther better quality sword the inexpensive Claymore sure seemed shabby.... perhaps not worth the effort of fixing up, a sorry blade remains a sorry blade, and the sad furniture remains sad
Thanks again,mates. I believe I've just about got him convinced on a Hanwei claymore. After seeing mine, I've made him understand the differences between a good sword and a SLO. I believe the Hanny will do fine for him, and is easily able to be customized to his likings. Even the weight of the Claymore should be no prob for him....he's 6'-2'' and about 215. :lol: And about 20 years my younger! :lol: ----Thanks all!.........McM
Mark Moore wrote:
Thanks again,mates. I believe I've just about got him convinced on a Hanwei claymore. After seeing mine, I've made him understand the differences between a good sword and a SLO. I believe the Hanny will do fine for him, and is easily able to be customized to his likings. Even the weight of the Claymore should be no prob for him....he's 6'-2'' and about 215. :lol: And about 20 years my younger! :lol: ----Thanks all!.........McM

The Hanwei Lowlander is a good choice; the highland style might be better as it is lighter and consequently much easier to work with. The Lowlander weight 6 lbs 14 oz and is fairly well balanced for the price point. There are so many poorly made unbalanced "claymores" out there right now that I have to conclude they are used only for display items by their owners. I also tend to shy away from retailers/makers whose copy reads like lines from Braveheart which is to say that they really do not understand the history behind the sword or when the sword was likely to have been used.
Also the threaded pommel makes for easy customization. Unscrew the pommel and everything slides off. I'm in the process of re-gripping and putting a solid pommel on mine. The fit of the original grip was very loose, but I'm sure quality varies.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: